Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Picked up my first Challenger (2017 392 R/T Scat) and am interested in starting the process of building it into a reasonable drag car. So far, I've pulled the CDV, added the skip shift eliminator, put in a Hellcat air box and filter, and am on the Fastman throttle body wait list.

I'm trying to determine where this should go next.

I want to eventually work up to adding a supercharger, but that would kind of be the last piece in the puzzle. I'm trying to determine what I should do next. Tires? A Diablo Tuner (I think I will be limited to email tunes for now since I can't find a reasonably close Mopar tuning shop in northern California)? e85 conversion?

Just wondering where to go next as I plot this course.

Thanks for any pointers! I don't want to have to do stuff, then undo it to keep moving forward to end goal of a 600+hp supercharged 6.4L.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,188 Posts
Here's what I've done to my car and it runs 11.4...

1.) Custom email tune
2.) PCM swap
3.) Diablosport tuner (T1000)
4.) Fastman 84mm throttle body
5.) Hellcat airbox
6.) Tazer
7.) Racestar wheels
8.) M/T drag radials and M&H front runners
9.) Catch can
10.) Weight reduction (remove rear seat, passenger seat, trunk floor liner, and trunk tray)
11.) Race fuel

I'm going to try some catless mid pipes next, those supposedly help a little. Hoping for 11.3 with those in good air.

The biggest bang for your buck with these cars are tires. Get good sticky tires on the back and you'll hook up and go.

It sounds like your car is a M6, so you may want to go with bias ply tires all around, those usually work better with stick shift cars.

If you plan to do a supercharger, be sure to replace the stock pistons, and save up for a new transmission. Your 8HP70 won't last long with boosted power. I know a few guys who boosted their cars and over the course of a year they killed their stock 8HP70, even with full torque management in place. Toss a 8HP90 in there and you should be okay.

I also know guys that spray 100 shot through their cars on the stock tune with no other mods and run 11.0-11.2, but I wouldn't recommend that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's what I've done to my car and it runs 11.4...

1.) Custom email tune
2.) PCM swap
3.) Diablosport tuner (T1000)
4.) Fastman 84mm throttle body
5.) Hellcat airbox
6.) Tazer
7.) Racestar wheels
8.) M/T drag radials and M&H front runners
9.) Catch can
10.) Weight reduction (remove rear seat, passenger seat, trunk floor liner, and trunk tray)
11.) Race fuel

I'm going to try some catless mid pipes next, those supposedly help a little. Hoping for 11.3 with those in good air.

The biggest bang for your buck with these cars are tires. Get good sticky tires on the back and you'll hook up and go.

It sounds like your car is a M6, so you may want to go with bias ply tires all around, those usually work better with stick shift cars.

If you plan to do a supercharger, be sure to replace the stock pistons, and save up for a new transmission. Your 8HP70 won't last long with boosted power. I know a few guys who boosted their cars and over the course of a year they killed their stock 8HP70, even with full torque management in place. Toss a 8HP90 in there and you should be okay.

I also know guys that spray 100 shot through their cars on the stock tune with no other mods and run 11.0-11.2, but I wouldn't recommend that.
Great - this is the info I was hoping for! Of your list, the only things I don't have yet in hand are the wheels/tires and diablo/pcm. Which way did you go with your wheels? 17x10 front and rear, or did you go narrow front? I'll still be street driving this on a somewhat regular basis.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Great - this is the info I was hoping for! Of your list, the only things I don't have yet in hand are the wheels/tires and diablo/pcm. Which way did you go with your wheels? 17x10 front and rear, or did you go narrow front? I'll still be street driving this on a somewhat regular basis.
I went with 17x9.5" rear and 17x4.5" front. They clear the 4 piston Brembos. If you have 6 piston Brembos you need 18" wheels up front.

You can go with M/T SR front runners that are 6" wide for the street, those handle okay I've heard. My M&H are 4.5" wide and while I can drive it on the street, it's not the most reassuring feeling, especially in turns or if you have to do a quick move. I swap my 17" wheels on for the track and limited street use. In the summer when it's hotter out I don't race at all usually, so I just leave the 20" wheels on the car. I have a set of 20" drag radials on the back too for the street, otherwise the car gets sideways every time I step on it.

I'd go 6" tire for street use, save the 4.5" tire for track only.

I believe Racestar makes a 17x7 wheel as well. Might be able to fit a normal type tire on there and still save some weight.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went with 17x9.5" rear and 17x4.5" front. They clear the 4 piston Brembos. If you have 6 piston Brembos you need 18" wheels up front.

You can go with M/T SR front runners that are 6" wide for the street, those handle okay I've heard. My M&H are 4.5" wide and while I can drive it on the street, it's not the most reassuring feeling, especially in turns or if you have to do a quick move. I swap my 17" wheels on for the track and limited street use. In the summer when it's hotter out I don't race at all usually, so I just leave the 20" wheels on the car. I have a set of 20" drag radials on the back too for the street, otherwise the car gets sideways every time I step on it.

I'd go 6" tire for street use, save the 4.5" tire for track only.

I believe Racestar makes a 17x7 wheel as well. Might be able to fit a normal type tire on there and still save some weight.
Ok good to know. Just using the on board timers, my 0-60 is low 5's and 0-100 is mid-low 12's. I'm definitely spinning the tires on launch, but once I'm moving everything "feels" good. I figured tires (currently stock) would make a big difference. Do you find that guys tend to run stock 20's daily, then have separate race wheels?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
These cars have tons of torque down low, it overwhelms the stock street tires that come on the car. Best 0-60 I ever got on stock tires with stock tune was 4.4. Usually it was 4.6-4.8. Too much tirespin. The M6's are usually a little behind the A8's, so the times you're mentioning seem about right.

With just 20" drag radials I hit 3.9-4.0 on the stock tune. At the track I hit 3.7 one time. My current best is 3.2 with the 17" wheels and my mods. I can do 3.5 on the street with the 17" wheels on, no burnout or anything. These cars are very capable, just need to put the power to the ground. I would imagine with a M6 you could get into the high 3's with good tires and mods.

The easiest way to go is just put some 20" drag radials on the back of your car. But with a M6, you will want 17" wheels and bias ply tires, to help absorb the shock of launching off the line with a clutch. If I were you, I'd just get a whole spare set of 17" wheels for racing. Team Beefcake Racing has Racestars on sale from time to time, you can catch a good deal if you keep your eye out.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
In terms of mods that make the challenger look more BA...I have to say wheels/tires are up there. I recently did the demon reproduction wheels and all my coworkers agree...the wheels/tires made the car look more muscle.
https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/8444447-post281.html

In terms of power...SC is expensive (actually not in terms of $/HP if you stay under 7lbs boost) but wow does it really make a difference.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts