Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ran 7 times at Orlando Speedworld yesterday and sadly me and my RT can't break into the 13s yet. My best time was 14.1/101, RT/.062.

Any tips guys? My RT's engine is all stock. Everyone there seemed to love my car and they all said to get a tune and you will hit 13.5 easy.

This was the best fun I had in long time. There was no crap talking by anyone and the staff people were great and made it very enjoyable. I really recommend taking your car to the track, what a blast!

A street Caddy ran 10s all day and a loud ass Colbalt blew by me and looked like a rocket powered roller skate going down the track. A guy with a '13 5.0 Mustang beat me every time, but he also put $1000s into his catless and tuned ride (although he ran high 12s, I beat him on the 60' every run).

The guy with the 240SX had the biggest turbo I have ever seen and I beat him by a 1/2 sec!

All and all it was a blast and I'll be back!

Attachments

Reactions: ChrisNTN

·
Registered
212 Posts
My best time was a 14.1 as well with tune :/ I think it has to do with my rims are yours 20" as well?

Reactions: stevec3201

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Practice makes perfect as they say :) The 6-speed is a bit of a handful at the track, it's just not very easy to launch, I fought with my car last weekend on bald tires and it really frustrated me, had me thinking about trading for an auto on the way home LOL

- and germanshepard, new car huh??? I hope it will run with your R/T ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Practice makes perfect as they say :) The 6-speed is a bit of a handful at the track, it's just not very easy to launch, I fought with my car last weekend on bald tires and it really frustrated me, had me thinking about trading for an auto on the way home LOL

- and germanshepard, new car huh??? I hope it will run with your R/T ;)
Working at a dealership has its perks. I made myself an offer I couldnt refuse! I will see if I can get it down the track.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
462 Posts
At OSW they usually prep the track better on Sundays or days when test n tune coincides with braket races.. Thats when I've run my best times there.. It's all about the launch, get your 60' down and you'll see 13's no problem. I hold at 1500 and ease into gas in 1st (autostick) until I'm postive I've got decent traction. Also my fastest passes have come with traction control on. I've been meaning to get out there again sometime soon actually.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
199 Posts
I second that motion, the low gears on the 6M make hard launches on street tires extremely difficult. My 14 SRT8 6M Chally is a beast from a roll but at the track my 60' times are pretty much where you are at, consistant 2.2 and 2.1's. My best 60' so far was 2.086 hero run after a long cool down and lowering my air pressure to 18 psi (usually run 20 psi). I am saving my pennies for some 17" cobra rims and some drag radials, should be able to cut some sub 2.00 60' times to put me in the mid 12's.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My best time was a 14.1 as well with tune :/ I think it has to do with my rims are yours 20" as well?
Yes 20" wheels too. Also, I have a 6M, so it's a little harder than an auto. Thanks for the tips everyone, and I will go again in couple/few weeks to try again. I do wish I had an auto now (at least for the track), but I just love shifting those gears too damn much! It really was a blast and I'm so freakin' close to the 13s!!!

NOTE: I left TCS full off on all runs. I left air pressure at 34 PSI on all runs. The staff guy said to lower my air pressure, but I forgot to.

Next time I'll leave TCS on and lower my rear air pressure to see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I am a rookie at the track as well, here is the summary of CT tips from my thread last year:

Remove the spare/jack and any other loose items
As close to a 1/4 tank of gas as possible
Pull fuse number 2 for a minute before you head to the track to reset adaptives
Drive in sport mode on the way to the track in hopes the adaptives shift at higher RPM
Turn sport mode OFF while on track to not hit rev-limiter
Attempt to barely stage to get an extra inch of speed
Take off plastic engine cover and bring bag of ice
If you’re running street tires, avoid the water box and do a dry burnout ( street tires will sling water up into the wheel wells and then drip back down onto the tires during staging)
Traction Control off (results vary on this one)
Rear tires at 36psi
Auto - a little brake and gas at the start, 3rd amber is go time - auto stick mode
Ease into your launch to minimize wheel spin and shift around 5800 - 6000 (stick shift)
As soon as you feel it roll (5’ out) and have traction, gas pedal to the floor and keep it there until after you cross finish line (light)

Take off is key, your car is capable of 13's :)

Practice is Fun!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'll just add another factor to keep in mind, unfortunately with Florida's weather your times will always be behind the rest of the country. :redcap:

and why osw doesn't allow for more usage during the winter I don't know?

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
462 Posts
I'll just add another factor to keep in mind, unfortunately with Florida's weather your times will always be behind the rest of the country. :redcap:

and why osw doesn't allow for more usage during the winter I don't know?
I've run better times at OSW than a majority of R/T's around the country. The fastest tracks are in Lousiana for sure, but I wouldnt say OSW is slower than most of the country.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey MoparSpeed, If you ever want to meet up at OSW on a Wed night, let me know. It's not crowded on Weds so we can get lots of runs in.

Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts