Dodge Challenger Forum banner

First full test of SRT392

4K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  dynaraton 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I have been lurking around on here for quite some time and I am seriously thinking about getting the new SRT392 Challenger. Insidle line has a full test on the new chally and I haven't seen a link posted by anyone.

2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 Full Test

I won't spoil it by giving out the test numbers, but I am very impressed (and I think my mind is made up now). :bigthumb:

#2 · (Edited)
finally an auto test, and 12.6 is fast in my book for a stock 4000+ car. look at their acceleration comments (it says that the best run was made with less than full because it kept spinning tires). Means there is more potential in this car. Some better tires and lets see what she can do :thumbsup:

#3 ·
Thats good news. IL has some of the slowest numbers of all the testers out there so that makes a 12.4 sound a bit more realistic. I just noticed that the 6-speed is now standard and this SRT weighs 200 pounds more than the 2010? What the hell? Those must be some heavy seats, rims and stripes.

#4 ·
Good write up but I'll stick with my '10 SRT8 for now. But it is tempting....

#6 ·
Man the more I see/read about the 392 the more I want to trade in my whimmpy R/T on comparison :disgust:.

Funny how when news of the 392 started to first hit this forum, how many people (especially the 6.1 boys) were trying to dog on the 392 to, I don't know, make themselves feel better. I read everything from the stripes (which can be removed) to the auto climate control (which you don't have to use) :notallthere:. Also much much more.
Not really seeing much negative comments anymore. Singing a different tune now, eh.

#9 ·
Two points:

1. Owned a 1970 Challenger R/T convertible with white bucket seats. No problem with white seats if you take care of them. Really no different than buying a black car. Those owning black cars know you have to take extra care to keep them looking good. Same with white seats.

2. Some of the comments after the end of the Edmunds article: My take - There's some awfully 'clueless' people out there. They should leave lame opinions unspoken.

Otherwise an excellent report!

#10 ·
I used there weather conditions to see what DA they were running in and got +3400DA..So if the 12.6 is legit in that type of weather, we are gonna see some awesome times once people get these onto the tracks!

#11 ·
Hi everyone. I have been lurking around on here for quite some time and I am seriously thinking about getting the new SRT392 Challenger. Insidle line has a full test on the new chally and I haven't seen a link posted by anyone.

2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 Full Test

I won't spoil it by giving out the test numbers, but I am very impressed (and I think my mind is made up now). :bigthumb:
Great read, thanks for posting and welcome to the forums! :thumbsup:

#12 ·
What a great car. Can't wait to place my standard SRT order. This car just keeps getting better.
All the new reviews are rave reviews.... which never happened with this car, they always beat it down. Good going dodge!
Now let's see some Blowers for these monsters in 2011!

#13 ·
I'll be the 1st one to say this, "This car is better than the SS, 5.0 and GT500." Way to kick-ass Dodge! Just think, 12.6 from a NA car weighing over 4100lbs!

#15 ·
I'll be the 1st one to say this, "This car is better than the SS, 5.0 and GT500." Way to kick-ass Dodge! Just think, 12.6 from a NA car weighing over 4100lbs!
Better than SS, but better than a GT or GT500, not quite. If we're talking speed.

An auto '11 GT has run 12.37 @ 114.5 bone stock.

12.374 bone stock gt auto at 114.45 - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

And the '11 GT500 is high 11 car out of the box with decent driver at traps near 120mph.

That said, I need a BIG sports coupe and will be buying a 6.4 SRT at the end of 2011.

#17 ·
if size wasnt an issue i think many people would choose the Shelby instead for the same price....the Challenger is not a Shelby, but its sure getting close....im thrilled its close...i need the 5 passenger, so the Shelby wasnt a choice.....if i only had 4 kids I would have looked into it.

#18 ·
SRT8 392 vs Shelby GT500

I'm a big fan of the Shelby but also realize the 2011 SRT8 is now approaching that level of performance for thousands less.

In addition you get a couple features that aren't available on the Shelby such as heated seats and telescoping steering wheel.

#19 ·
I'm a big fan of the Shelby but also realize the 2011 SRT8 is now approaching that level of performance for thousands less.

In addition you get a couple features that aren't available on the Shelby such as heated seats and telescoping steering wheel.

I would say the SRT is approaching the performance level of the Boss 302 but not the Shelby. And I think it oughtta be priced similarly at around $40K base.

If I can't score one of these at the end of next year for $40K or under then I can't afford one.

#21 ·
when the 2012's come out and if they have the 8-speed ill bet the 2011's will be under $40k by next Fall

by then youll want the 8 speed though...if i waited that long id rather pay $4k more and get a 2012...when your spending $40k whats the big deal to pay $44k? you have $40, but not $44?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.