Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I had the split rocker panels after the first cold spell in late 2009 on my '09 Challenger SRT-8. Dealer fixed that with new ones which thus far have held up although they look to be the same thin plastic (so I am keeping an eye on them).

Now this... Rubber strip at the front of the hood has split and is coming apart. Cheap, cheap, cheap ! Shouldn't this be more rugged like door seal rubber moulding ???

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Bizzarre, do you guys spend a lot of time under the hood, drag yourself/stuff over it?

That's a really silly question I know, what SRT owner wouldn't, but I have to ask.

Definately something to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
207 Posts
No to both questions, I know a few months back there was a thread started about this same problem and I believe there were several members having the same issue.

·
Registered
812 Posts
That's odd. I was just in my garage last night looking at that strip. Mine is in place, however, the strip is fairly exposed based on the way the hood and the front clip line up (more exposed on the right than the left).

As I was running my finger along the rubber strip, I began to wonder how the elements are going to beat the living hell out of that piece of rubber unless I am consciously coating it with something.

I can absolutely see how that rubber strip could become dry and crack.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
First I had the split rocker panels after the first cold spell in late 2009 on my '09 Challenger SRT-8. Dealer fixed that with new ones which thus far have held up although they look to be the same thin plastic (so I am keeping an eye on them).

Now this... Rubber strip at the front of the hood has split and is coming apart. Cheap, cheap, cheap ! Shouldn't this be more rugged like door seal rubber moulding ???
I had the same problem, noticed it about a month ago (09 RT). Had it replaced. Pretty flimsy.

No unusual usage, just normal opening/closing of the hood, etc. Open your hoods and take a close look.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No unusual use. I put the CAI on after I first got the car.... I have only had the hood open for oil changes and checking fluids...nothing draging across it. It just started peeling.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Mobrickie,
The other day I also noticed that the rubber has started to crack/split on my car. It could be one of those item to order and save for years? I have to have the trucked serviced today and tell them to order a replacement.
Cuda Dan

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
That's odd. I was just in my garage last night looking at that strip. Mine is in place, however, the strip is fairly exposed based on the way the hood and the front clip line up (more exposed on the right than the left).

As I was running my finger along the rubber strip, I began to wonder how the elements are going to beat the living hell out of that piece of rubber unless I am consciously coating it with something.

I can absolutely see how that rubber strip could become dry and crack.
Apparently it's normal, when I went to the dealer they compared it to the other Challengers on the lot, it's not supposed to be "flush" in the middle as it's just hold on by rivets or something if I recall, it's not even glued.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Certainly not to make light of your problems, but in the grand scheme of things these are both minor and easy fixes. Do we expect issues like this? Of course not, but think if you had (the worst in my opinion) an intermittent mechanical or God forbid electrical problem. Those are the WORST to find and fix.

I'll keep an eye on mine just in case though.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:guiness:
Certainly not to make light of your problems, but in the grand scheme of things these are both minor and easy fixes. Do we expect issues like this? Of course not, but think if you had (the worst in my opinion) an intermittent mechanical or God forbid electrical problem. Those are the WORST to find and fix.

I'll keep an eye on mine just in case though.

LOL --- I've had those too..with the ignition system....fixed now though. I'm not getting bent out of shape or anything.... and not trying to be over sensitive.... it's just the small things bother me because if a little better quality went into things like these flimsy rocker panels and this rubber strip for the gap between the hood and the front nose then they would be better cars all around.

I understand when new technology is introduced into an automobile and it takes a year or two to get the bugs worked out..... but rocker panels and rubber weatherstripping is something I thought was hammered out by now.

A rubber strip tearing on a $13,000 Kia or Toyota car I can understand...the car was built on a budget for folks on a budget. But a top of the line Challenger SRT-8 ???!!!??? For $44K you better be giving me the tough guy rubber weather stripping and rocker panels with some thickness to them so they don't split at the first cold.

Typically when your warranty expires you worry about having to pay to replace an alternator, water pump, battery....stuff that wears out over time. Instead, I have to augment my list to include cracked rocker panels, splitting under hood weather striping, cracks around the radio buttons on the steering wheel. Awesome.:notallthere:

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've had the rocker panals split and now the rubber strip where the window and door panal touch is split on my car. It started as a faint stress line and later it was broke in half. I haven't done any research to see if this is common but I will check under the hood!

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dealer has put a new one on order, hope to get the call in a few days to bring it in. I'm on business travel so it won't matter until I get back.

I have to say the dealership I go to is pretty good about these things.... they don't usually fuss and I have nothing against them...it's not their fault...I just get a bit stressed about the lack of "finer details" on our cars.

No model of car should be of less standards that what the owner feels he paid for. When you start to get into flashship or higher-end models it is more of a shame. Don't get me wrong, I love my Challenger inside and out, but just wish it had some better quality here and there.

Drove a C6 Vette with 6 speed the other day, family member bought one.... I have to say after driving it to work and back, power is awesome, but the quality of a lot of interior parts are way better on my Challenger. Everything inside that C6 felt like it was cheap (dash, knobs, console).

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've had the rocker panals split and now the rubber strip where the window and door panal touch is split on my car. It started as a faint stress line and later it was broke in half. I haven't done any research to see if this is common but I will check under the hood!
The strip on mine is cracked too. I need to get it to the dealer since another left rocker panel has split as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts