Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the market for a new car.
I have always thought that the challenger was the last true muscle car.
I plan on purchasing a 2009 Challenger R/T soon in manual.
I have little experience driving manual but I have always wanted to.
I took my friends G35 out and I managed to drive around a parking lot without stalling.
Do you all think a Challenger has too much power to learn to drive stick on?

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I don't think an R/T has "too much power" to learn to drive a manual on. I've driven a lot of manuals in my life and find my '13 to be the easiest ever! I've had mine for 4 months and have never stalled it. It shifts smooth and the clutch isn't "heavy" at all.

I've also found that it's best not to let the revs fall below 1,500 especially in 5th and 6th. Other than that just spend a lot of time practicing, there's more to it than just getting it rolling from a stop. You may find that the Hill Assist relieves a lot of anxiety starting on hills.

It just takes time but once you get the hang of it, it turns into an automatic.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My 2009 SRT8 is my first manual car. Prior to buying it, I learned how to drive manual on my buddy's Mazda 3 and my father in laws 1973 Volvo 1800. I got good base of how everything works in a manual car. I was surprised how EASY my challenger was to drive.

Try to get your buddy's g35 out a few more times to where you are comfortable and I am sure you will do fine with your challenger.

Where in Maryland are you located?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Not at all, I also think that you are going to love it once you get used to driving it.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
If you were able to shift a G35 you will have NO trouble with a Challenger.

I drove several G35s (and 350Zs): the clutch in those things must have been developed by someone with one leg longer than the other; the clutch will only engage in one abrupt spot where the clutch pedal is about 3/4 depressed.

I find my SRT much more forgiving to shift, and the R/Ts are even more so.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
I am on the market for a new car.
I have always thought that the challenger was the last true muscle car.
I plan on purchasing a 2009 Challenger R/T soon in manual.
I have little experience driving manual but I have always wanted to.
I took my friends G35 out and I managed to drive around a parking lot without stalling.
Do you all think a Challenger has too much power to learn to drive stick on?
With the Hill Assist & power in these cars, even the most uncoordinated spaz in the world should be able to learn to drive one with ease.

The Hill Assist takes away the fear of drifting backwards on a hill that most newbies fear the most.
The power the car has, makes it easy to pull out without stalling, even if your in 3rd gear by mistake.

It is nothing like trying to learn 35years ago in either a old Challenger with a leg breaking aftermarket 3500lb clutch/pressure plate, or a whimpy 4-banger VW or Datsun that required a healthy dose of gas & clutch finesse just to pull out on even the slightest incline. And if you were in 3rd by mistake... you were gonna stall it... period. So hopefully you weren't trying to make a left against oncoming traffic when that happened... and if you were, you wouldn't have to worry about doing it again.... lol

Driving one of these is a breeze....:thumbsup:
The only area of caution would be that when you finally decide to start pounding on it... that you are careful slamming it into hit 3rd... better to aim a hair to the right and risk hitting 5th than 1st. Salesman did that back in 09 when I went for a test drive, and he was going to "Show me how it's done". Ya I didn't buy that one.... lol But somebody out there has a brown 09 with valve gear that sure took a pounding... :disgust:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts