Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange, regarding that oft discussed six month rule.

I’m at the Dodge Dealer now. Place has been here a long time with overall great reviews.

They actually came to me in the waiting room and asked: “900 miles on factory oil. Are you SURE you think you need this?”

I mentioned the warranty specifics, and how this six month rule was hashed out repeatedly on this forum, pro and con.

He said he thought that six month rule was put in there due to the frequency of racing abuse with these rides. He doubted Dodge would make an issue of it, without finding other signs of abuse.

In either event, I thought it nice he doubled checked with me.

Getting ‘er done anyway...

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,705 Posts

I’m at the Dodge Dealer now. Place has been here a long time with overall great reviews.

They actually came to me in the waiting room and asked: “900 miles on factory oil. Are you SURE you think you need this?”

I mentioned the warranty specifics, and how this six month rule was hashed out repeatedly on this forum, pro and con.

He said he thought that six month rule was put in there due to the frequency of racing abuse with these rides. He doubted Dodge would make an issue of it, without finding other signs of abuse.

That is nice of them. My first (mainly joking) reply would be "Can I get that in writing?". Just to see what they said.

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
Exactly!! Tell him to type something out on dealership letterhead saying they will cover any engine issues for 5 years and make them all sign it and see how fast he changes his tune. I swear the ignorance of these dealership employees knows no limits.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,898 Posts
Exactly!! Tell him to type something out on dealership letterhead saying they will cover any engine issues for 5 years and make them all sign it and see how fast he changes his tune. I swear the ignorance of these dealership employees knows no limits.

Agree with that. Put it down on paper, date it, and have the Service Manager and dealership manager/owner sign it.

It would have to be valid for the entire time my Chrysler Maxcare Lifetime Warranty is.

Orherwise, it's all BS babling from a fools mouth.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Hellraisin M6
341 Posts
What am I missing here? Why is everyone calling the dealer a fool? Sounds to me that he's simply curious as to why somebody would change their oil at 900 miles. Unless I'm misreading it..

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts
What am I missing here? Why is everyone calling the dealer a fool? Sounds to me that he's simply curious as to why somebody would change their oil at 900 miles. Unless I'm misreading it..
The same asssss*hat that questioned the OP changing his oil at 900 miles could very easily turn into the asssss*hat that would attempt to cancel his warranty under 6,000 miles but at 6 months and one day.

Lots of gum flapping from inept staff at a lot of (notice I didn’t say ALL) dealerships.

Reactions: Parrott_350

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
To keep your engine warranty FCA sets a minimum oil change interval. For your 5.7L it's 12 mo or 12K mi, for a 6.4L it's 6 mo or 6K miles whichever comes first. So for a 6.4L it has to be changed at least every 6 mo no matter how low the miles are.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
DISCLAIMER Change your oil everyday if that makes you feel good. I'm not arguing about your feelings or what your Amsoil rep told you, etc.

At the end of the day, lawyers set the oil change intervals you find in your manual, not engineers. Ask me how I know.

Modern top tier motor oils are capable of far greater intervals than every 6 months (392 example here). What I mean by this is that the garage queens that only roll 1,500 miles every 6 months can certainly go a lot longer without dumping the crankcase of 7 quarts of expensive and hardly used motor oil. That blurb in your manual is there for a legal purpose directly tied to drive train warranties and the costs absorbed by Dodge.

I ran my factory fill motor oil for the full duration. My SP is now coming up on 7 years old (Oct 2014 build date, one of the first made) and it runs as strong as the day I drove it home. I'd argue that the motor got noticeably stronger when it hit the mid 20,000 mile zone.

·
Banned
2021 Scat Pack
206 Posts

They are told to go ’by the book’ is all. Nothing bad will happen if you keep the manufacturers service intervals and the dealership wasn’t out to just take your money.

FYI on a side note I do all my new cars first oil changes at 1k mi.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,201 Posts

The 6K miles/6 month oil change schedule is in the owners manual. In the warranty booklet there is a section on what one needs to do to ensure the warranty remains in effect. Among other things proper servicing is required.

To get push back -- in some form or another -- seeking an "early" service is common. My SOP is to just thank the dealer rep for his pointing this out to me but to insist the service be done.

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
826 Posts
To keep your engine warranty FCA sets a minimum oil change interval. For your 5.7L it's 12 mo or 12K mi, for a 6.4L it's 6 mo or 6K miles whichever comes first. So for a 6.4L it has to be changed at least every 6 mo no matter how low the miles are.

You're saying that the oil change interval for a 5.7 is 12000 miles?

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
You're saying that the oil change interval for a 5.7 is 12000 miles?
No. The maximum interval is 12 months or 12,000 miles.

FCA says to change your oil when the oil monitoring system tells you to change it but in no case shall the interval be more than 12/12.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Easier to just do it for the $30.that is if you do yourself!..lol

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
I see it says 10K, but that is way too much imo.
Yes you are right, 10K it is!

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
True, yet I’m pushing 70 and can’t do, or find it very hard to do, underneath the car stuff.

Simple under hood stuff (Hellcat air box, catch can install, etc): yes

Getting up and down repeatedly underneath: No

And I don’t like dealing with the oil disposal hassle.

Plus in dealer is overall convenience, and great documentation on warranty issues.

Charge was $135, but at least it’s not often.

Reactions: Loopy

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,201 Posts
Paranoia at its finest.
In my case early oil/filter service is indeed paranoia driven, fueled by the number of "Hemi tick" posts. And I can tell you the Hemi has no lock on ticking. A "ticking" engine was a common complaint with other brands of cars I owned over the years.

Also, I know a new engine sheds considerable metal debris and contaminates the oil.

An early oil change removes the debris and combustion byproduct contaminated oil (and filter).

Might add one automaker in its factory service/repair manuals for ticking or random misfires had as one solution, albeit the final solution, and this was to replace all the lifters in the engine. The factory claimed "dirt" was the cause and replacement was the cure.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Also, I know a new engine sheds considerable metal debris. So we change at 800, less debris we let go to 1000, probably be OK to let er go to 1200 this time.
People have been abusing oil change recommends forever and the dang thing keeps running.
And stay away from them darn carwashes. How about leaving it in the garage and show it to your friends and neighbors. Cars are fun!!!!!!
PARANOIA AT ITS BEST.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts