Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if this has been asked before... But i have a 2016 sxt model and i am getting close to 6000 miles and its reading 34% oil life on the dash. Do you guys change it to synthetic? or regular oil? is 6000 miles and 34% good time to get the oil change? or should i wait a little more? just wanted to see when you guys got your first oil changes on your sxt models. Thank you

·
Registered
21 Posts
With my 2010 SE I don't know what was in it before I purchased with 26k km's but since then I've ran synthetic Mobile 1 10w-30 with no problems 120k km's later. Run's like a dream.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,725 Posts
34% seems low...personally, i wouldn't feel comfortable letting the factory fill oil go all the way out to 100% at that rate. If it were me, I'd change the oil and filter within the next 1000 miles.

As long as you use the recommended weight (5W-20?) oil that meets the api spec (SN), you can't go wrong.

If you decide to go with a synthetic oil, do it because you plan on longer OCIs, e.g. 7-10K miles. Anything shorter and the conventional oils available today will do just fine.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Going 10k miles with synthetic is fine but I’d caution you to use an oil filter that’s designed to go that long. Most cheap aftermarket filters are only good up to 5k miles.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I did my oil at 1k (or was it 2k?) with the first oil change. That gives the factory oil some time to work out any loose metal shards/flecks into the filter (if there are any). After that, I use conventional oil and do it when my car asks, or a little before if I have good timing to do it. I only pay $14 at the dealership for my oil changes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Did my first oil change 5.7L at 4k. Oil was fairly clean but smelled like fuel. Was glad i did the first one early. Fuel smell was likely leak by on the new piston rings until they get seated an broke in a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts