Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when should i get my first oil change? It seems like 10,000 is alot of miles to change the oil, i thought of getting it done at 8,000 but even that sounds alot, right now my sxt has 5100. Thanks for the help:)

·
Registered
504 Posts
I do mine every 5,000 km

52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would have done it already, many do their first change early, I did mine at 600 miles.
The change oil message hasn't come up yet?
That's a lot of miles on original oil.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
600? On no, now i'am worried, the oil message hasn't come up yet, but i check the oil this morning and it was darker in color than it was about a month ago, i will be taking my challenger in, thanks for the info, so how often should i change the oil, i mean in miles?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I did my first oil change after 6,000 miles (10,000 km). Then it's every 6,000 miles again as per my dealer's instructions.

·
Registered
15,846 Posts
600? On no, now i'am worried, the oil message hasn't come up yet, but i check the oil this morning and it was darker in color than it was about a month ago, i will be taking my challenger in, thanks for the info, so how often should i change the oil, i mean in miles?
I'm probably a little overboard on that but just a habit I have gotten into with all new engines...I like to do an early oil change to get any new engine break in casting flash and junk out of there. In fairness, the oil that came out looked perfect so it probably wasn't necessary. Still 5,100 miles on the original oil is too much imo so I would get it done asap and in the future, 5,000 miles tops between changes and this is based on using synthetic. Still curious why the oil message didn't turn on, how old is the car and do you do mostly highway driving?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I planned to change mine for the first time at 1500 miles, but it is so much fun to drive I ended up going to 1800 before actually changing it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
275 Posts
The "Oil Change Required" light came on for me @ 2600 miles, I changed the oil. It came back on @ 5100 miles, I reset the light and changed it @ 6500 miles. Synthetic oil should last longer, and I hadn't lost any oil between changes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I changed mine at 1900. The dealer told me the oil used wasn't synthetic, which is something I wanted so that there was a catalyst for getting it changed. Went on a road trip and had it changed at WalMart for $74 (7 quarts of Mobil 1 and a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter)

·
Registered
94 Posts
The change oil light is based on a computer algorithm based on several factors; run time, load, mileage and a couple other s I can't remember. I change my synthetic oil and filter every 6,000 miles. Maybe overkill, but I love this car!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
The oil change message has never came on and I drive about 50 highway miles a day round trip to work and back home. I'm running Amsoil 5w/20 and Amsoil filter.

52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm probably a little overboard on that but just a habit I have gotten into with all new engines...I like to do an early oil change to get any new engine break in casting flash and junk out of there. In fairness, the oil that came out looked perfect so it probably wasn't necessary. Still 5,100 miles on the original oil is too much imo so I would get it done asap and in the future, 5,000 miles tops between changes and this is based on using synthetic. Still curious why the oil message didn't turn on, how old is the car and do you do mostly highway driving?
I got my sxt challenger last august, and i dont do to much hwy driving, luckly for me living in los angeles,plus my job is only 5 miles away, but i'am taking my car tomorrow, thanks for the info:icon_wink:

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
The "Oil Change Required" light came on for me @ 2600 miles, I changed the oil. It came back on @ 5100 miles, I reset the light and changed it @ 6500 miles. Synthetic oil should last longer, and I hadn't lost any oil between changes.
Based on engine operating conditions the oil change indicator message illuminates.
We recommend you follow the maintenance guidelines found in your owner's manual for recommended oil change intervals and fluid recommendations. The owner's manual can be downloaded for your vehicle year, make and model on the Dodge website www.Dodge.com under the Owners tab.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'm still under 650 miles so far but it was recommended that I change it over at 1000 miles when I got it from the dealership. When I change it I'm thinking I'll use synthetic oil and change oil every 6500 to 7500 miles afterwards.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
8 Posts
The dealer changed my oil today so shouldn't my read out on the computer show 100 %? It's only showing 60 %

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
The dealer changed my oil today so shouldn't my read out on the computer show 100 %? It's only showing 60 %
Where are you seeing this? :confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I screwed up. I thought there was a read out on how much oil was put in but it was psi. That's what you get for driving VW bus's your whole life then by a hemi challenger lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts