Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new SXT with only 500 miles. Thinking about changing oil now and using synthetic. I saw somewhere way back where it was recommended not to use synthetic in oil change this early...saying engine would never break in properly. Don't think synthetic was put in at factory. Manual states either one is fine. I know the V8 manual says to use synthetic. Am I being stupid? What is your opinion on this.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
629 Posts
I would change now, and use synthetic.
The worst that can happen is that you get rid of break-in particles early - which isn't a bad thing.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,653 Posts
I have a new SXT with only 500 miles. Thinking about changing oil now and using synthetic. I saw somewhere way back where it was recommended not to use synthetic in oil change this early...saying engine would never break in properly. Don't think synthetic was put in at factory. Manual states either one is fine. I know the V8 manual says to use synthetic. Am I being stupid? What is your opinion on this.
Thanks!!

Unless forbidden by the owners manual an early oil/filter service is advisable. The new engine sheds lots of debris. This is normal. There is a filter but if there is a filter bypass and there often is under some conditions unfiltered oil is routed to the engine. The new engine also heavily contaminates the oil with blow by. This is normal. But contaminated oil is less able to do its job of protecting the engine parts from metal to metal contact. With debris in the oil it is the same with contamination. The only way to deal with this is to (hot) drain the oil and replace the filter with a new one.

My advice is to use the oil recommended by the factory for the engine. If it is a mineral oil then use it. Change it at least on the factory's schedule. (I put in total around 300K on various engines all running mineral oils -- what the factory recommended -- and not one suffered any engine problem at all. I changed or had changed the oil on the factory schedule.)

If the factory also sanctions a synthetic oil for use in your car's engine it is up to you if you want to use it. I do not know if some kind of "flush" is required when switching from mineral oil to synthetic oil. If the factory sanctions both mineral and synthetic oils for the engine if this is required it should be covered in the owners manual.

Added: Regarding break in... If there was any issue with this the factory would caution against an early oil change or switching to synthetic oil at a too low a mileage.

As long as there is no caution against when to drain the factory fill oil or when to switch to a synthetic oil if the factory sanctions the use of a synthetic oil you can change oils anytime you want.

The engine will continue to to break in just fine. A large majority of the automakers ship new engines filled with synthetic oil and break in is not a problem.

·
Registered
629 Posts
That, plus quite possibly some sand from the casting process, etc.

I once took an oil sample at 500 miles on a GM pickup, and the results were worse than those from my severely abused tractor...which had been fed used oil from other vehicles for years.

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
Early changes are mostly for piece of mind, but they don't hurt anything other than the pocket book.

You can switch to a synthetic now, without any break in issues. SRT spec engines come from the factory with synthetic, and no break in issues with them.

It's just a higher spec/grade of oil, that your engine may or may not benefit from using. Won't hurt a thing.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I still run the Dino oil in my 5.7 R/T...a little over 20,000 miles. So how many 5.7 owners here still run that oil or have many switched to synthetic?

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
I had around 10k miles on my 5.7 when I switched to Castrol Syntec and the SRT filers.

Car got flood totalled at 42k, so I cant say much about any long term benefits, but I did like that oil.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Yeah I have had people tell me just stick to the dino oil there is nothing wrong with running it. Others tell me Synthetic is better. I do run a Pennzoil synthetic blend in my old Durango since it has much higher mileage.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,653 Posts
Yeah I have had people tell me just stick to the dino oil there is nothing wrong with running it. Others tell me Synthetic is better. I do run a Pennzoil synthetic blend in my old Durango since it has much higher mileage.

Best advice I can offer is run what the automaker says to run.

If the automaker sanctions mineral and synthetic oil you can run synthetic if you want. Up to you. I would not flip back and forth. If you change from mineral to synthetic you should plan on staying with synthetic from then on.

As I noted in my 1st post I drove a number of vehicles -- from 1970 to 2001 -- for a total of about 300K miles and all engines used a mineral oil and not one engine suffered any oiling issues. The oil was changed on the factory schedule or a bit more often but not by much.

With one engine in which I put an aftermarket cam in I did have a cam lobe on that engine go flat but this was not because of an oil/oiling problem but due to a metallurgical problem with the camshaft.

Since 2001 all my car engines have used synthetic oil. And in total I've covered about (probably over) 600K miles and not one has manifested any oil/oiling problems.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Others tell me Synthetic is better.
I don't think anyone could argue that synthetic isn't better, but if it's worth it for the application could be discussed indefinitely.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,558 Posts
Synthetic is better for severe duty and long change times. If you use a quality dino oil with good additive package, and change frequently, I don't know if the synthetic will net you different results. Perhaps long term.

Synthetic has the advantage of flowing easier in cold weather, and it is resistant to viscosity breakdown. Reduced oxidation, less susceptible to thermal breakdown, and oil sludge problems. If you do a lot of short trips, conventional motor oil may never get warm enough to burn off moisture. Synthetics are more resistant to that. A lot of today's cars are very specific as far as viscosity goes. With such tech as VVT and MDS, using the wrong viscosity can result in engine issues. Also the clearances are much closer. Synthetic oil is much less susceptible to viscosity breakdown, whether extreme cold, or extreme heat. Synthetic oil resist shear under heavy loads better than conventional oils.

Because a true synthetic is manufactured, it can be made to have many desired properties not present in conventional motor oil.

A Guy

·
Registered
84 Posts
I still run the Dino oil in my 5.7 R/T...a little over 20,000 miles. So how many 5.7 owners here still run that oil or have many switched to synthetic?
2019 R/T here. Just changed the oil at 1,000 miles 2 days ago. Converted from the factory fill Dino oil to Pennzoil fully synthetic and the SRT filter. May be keeping this car for a while and thought it just made sense.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
2019 R/T here. Just changed the oil at 1,000 miles 2 days ago. Converted from the factory fill Dino oil to Pennzoil fully synthetic and the SRT filter. May be keeping this car for a while and thought it just made sense.

Yep I think you did the right thing there. I just hate the higher cost's of oil changes when dealing with synthetic. Anywho..I'll probably switch my R/T over to synthetic soon..like u said it just makes sense...I plan on keeping my car forever well until it rusts away, whitch apparently is not very long on these cars...ugh.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Oil threads

Yep I think you did the right thing there. I just hate the higher cost's of oil changes when dealing with synthetic. Anywho..I'll probably switch my R/T over to synthetic soon..like u said it just makes sense...I plan on keeping my car forever well until it rusts away, whitch apparently is not very long on these cars...ugh.
Love the oil threads. Lots of good information and opinion. I am not a fan of Amazon, but if you choose a scheduled auto-delivery you can get the Pennzoil 0w-40 at what they call a discount. Its like $7.40 a quart. So I signed up for a couple months while I source some other places.
It kinda rare around here. NAPA says they can get it , for a premium. I did notice that 'China-mart' had the Mobil 0w-40 in the five quart jug and it was reasonable. I'll have to look at the price again, I think it was $23 and some change.
I ordered the Pennzoil since they specifically mentioned it in the ( PDF) owners manual.
Still like the car very much.
Best regards

1 - 16 of 16 Posts