Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to my first track day with the scatty yesterday and it was a blast. It was a SCCA track night in america event and I got 3 20 minute run sessions not counting the first 20 min paced laps and another 20 min worth of parade laps where my buddy was able to ride with me.

I was pretty happy with how the car did the whole time, it was a beast out there and definitely one of the faster cars in the group hp wise. The only thing that left me wanting more were the brakes. They held up good when it came to fade and not boiling the fluid, but I got a lot of shudder out of them which was not very confidence inspiring. I even still have the shudder now during normal street driving, mainly around 35mph. And man were they squealing like crazy on the drive home. For only 6k miles on them I was not very impressed. That's where the dynamics package would have come in handy I imagine. I hope the shudder and noise go away, would be crazy if I needed to replace them after only one track day.

My best lap time was 1:42.5 which I was really happy with considering I was going easy on the brakes a bit and not driving into the corners as much as I probably could have. Being my first time out I mainly wanted to concentrate on being consistent and making sure my lines were good. Hitting 130mph on the main straight sure was fun.

I'm definitely hooked and plan to go back again. Meeting new people and just the overall experience of being there and driving was so much fun. I recorded my runs using the track addict app so once I get those offloaded I'll post up my fastest run for you guys to check out. In the meantime here's a few pics from the event.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Well, you're trapped now. Hope you have a lot of money for gas, tires, brakes, and all other associated costs. It's part of your soul now!

Once again this proves the importance of good brakes. These are heavy cars with a lot of horsepower. The 4 piston Brembos are adequate, but have their limitations.

The people you meet and the whole experience make it all worth the cost.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, you're trapped now. Hope you have a lot of money for gas, tires, brakes, and all other associated costs. It's part of your soul now!

Once again this proves the importance of good brakes. These are heavy cars with a lot of horsepower. The 4 piston Brembos are adequate, but have their limitations.

The people you meet and the whole experience make it all worth the cost.
Yep, I'm definitely hooked! My desire to be there all the time and my budget will now be constantly fighting each other.

Update on the brake situation, I talked to a tech support guy at EBC and he was really helpful. I'm going to give the orange stuff pads a try for the next track day. Driving home on them cold will also help scrub the rotors clean before I put the stock pads back in. I think that will make a big difference and should get rid of my on track judder that I was getting from all the material transfer to the rotors.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I got sucked into trying the EBC Redstuff pads and hate them. They don't tell you until you buy them that they can dust and squeal up to 1,000 miles! I put over 1K on them and they kept getting worse with squeal and dust. Their attitude is too bad, so sad sucker. Switched to a set of full ceramic pads with good results now.

https://youtu.be/BbaW1XS8BgQ

·
Registered
397 Posts
I went to my first track night last month and it was well worth the 150 dollars. I would do it again if my budget will let me. I will have to get new tires before the next event next year as that 1 hour on the lap took 3/4's of a tank of gas and 3/4's of the tread on my tires. I told my wife while we were driving home it looked like the 1 hour on the track took more off the tires than the 30k miles of hwy driving I had on them before the event.
Happy to hear you had a great time.

Ron

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet pictures!

Our Speedlogix team goes out every so often to the SCCA track night, great event!

- Alexis
Ill have to keep that in mind and try and swing by your shop the next time I'm out that way.

I went to my first track night last month and it was well worth the 150 dollars. I would do it again if my budget will let me. I will have to get new tires before the next event next year as that 1 hour on the lap took 3/4's of a tank of gas and 3/4's of the tread on my tires. I told my wife while we were driving home it looked like the 1 hour on the track took more off the tires than the 30k miles of hwy driving I had on them before the event.
Happy to hear you had a great time.

Ron
Yeah I hear ya there. Went through an entire tank of gas and my tires are definitely hurting now. I think I could probably do another outing on these tires still but that might be about it and I only have a little over 6k miles on them. Well worth it thought to be able to push the car to it's limits :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts