Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that I've had a few hours to get to know the new 392 I thought I'd share a quick evaluation of it.

New amenities for 2011:
1. The new keyless entry is great. I had this feature on one of my Vettes but it didn't work nearly as seamlessly as on this car. Just put your fingers under the door handle and the car unlocks. I'll never have to reach for the keys again.
2. The automatic trunk release on the trunk lid also works great. Just touch it and the trunk pops open. Again, no more reaching for the FOB or pushing the button inside the car. And the external button is so seamlessly integrated into the light bar surround that it's harld noticeable.
3. Finally, the AC/heater is thermostat controlled. Just set the temp and let the head unit do it's thing. No more messing with the fan speed.
4. The new steering wheel is smaller and now has all the raido/uconnect controls on it. No more reachng to the radio for anything except Nav functions. I've loved the radio controls on the back of the wheel in my Ram pickup for a couple of years and always liked them as they are easier to access when driving. The new wheel now has them which is great.
5. The drivers seat now can fold forward. I never figured out why this wasn't possible previously. Glad they fixed it.
6. The new gauge cluster is much more detailed and looks much sportier. Just fun to look at.
7. The new wheels look much "beefier" than than before. Makes the car look that much tougher.
8. The new exhaust tips with the dual square outlest are much nicer. The dual outlets are even offset to match the curvature of the rear fascia. It's this type of attention to detail that makes the car special.

Power train:
I still have less than 50 miles on the car but I can tell there is a significant increase in power and torque. My last SRT did not push me back in the seat like this one. It is finally what I thought the SRT should be. Absolutely great. And, even with this much more power, the gas mileage is rated to be better than before. I haven't verified this yet, but if true, what more could I ask for. Also the warranty for the SRT is now 5 years/100,000 miles. Much improved over last year.

Exterior:
The exterior is almost flawless. I haven't been able to find anything wrong with the paint, just one piece of dirt under one of the trunk stripes.

Wow Factor:
I took the car to a local street meet last night and it garnered a lot of attention. I could barely get away to go home. Nothing but positive comments about it from everyone. Even the Camaro and Mustang crowd was very impressed with it.

I've had a lot of cars, but never one that was as unique and exciting and as much fun as this one.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nice review. I definitely want to check one out when they start hitting the local dealer lots. I am sure the handling of the car is much better as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That is great to hear. The car looks great. So u can tell it has a lot more horsepower than last years srt huh? And does the exhaust sound deeper and better than last year?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Sounds like a much improved srt. Glad to hear it. There now seems to be a nice gap in power between the rt and srt. The limited IE 392 would be really cool to have, but I am really thinking about trading for the normal 392 srt.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Those all seem like positive changes. My wife's '04 RX 330 has the touch lock features for the doors and trunk; it's a very nice and convenient feature.

Would love to see the gauge cluster- -did they go to full analog instrumentation?

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the review....

what about the loose seat leather issue? do your seats look right?
Here are a couple of pictures of the passenger seat. It looks to me like this was an aftermarket installation. It's not perfect, but it doesn't look that bad to me. In the future I'm sure this will just be considered part of the car's character.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Thanks for the detailed review.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The one thing I don't like is the new door handles how they stick out, it seems to mess up the cars lines.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I am happy for you. I hope you have many trouble free and SAFE miles on it. You need a handi-cap sticker for Walmart parking lots, they appear to be wider.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures of the passenger seat. It looks to me like this was an aftermarket installation. It's not perfect, but it doesn't look that bad to me. In the future I'm sure this will just be considered part of the car's character.

its VERY boarder line acceptable to me....if all the seats look like that id probably ask for a fix...if it was just 1 id live with it....remember the main thing were paying $1995 for is that seat....shouldnt it look Better and be higher Quality than the normal seat....

Red Dog #2...how did your seats turn out?

as the seat gets older its going to wrinkle more...the loosness may make it wrinkle and fold more...maybe it will look like an elephants skin in 2 years.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Nice to hear about some of the new features, I can't help but comment on a few things though.
First, the seats would absolutely be unacceptable to me, that looks like crap, plus you paid a premium for that feature not too mention the whole car. I would be getting that fixed for sure.
Second, would seem to be a stretch describing +45HP and 50TQ as a significant increase in power. I realize the torque comes in lower but this is a relatively modest bump in specs. I also don't buy into the under rated non-sense that's constantly thrown around, my guess is this motor will come in right around where they claim it too be.
Third, I really like the keyless entry feature, that should have been there all along. Don't care about the trunk but the doors would be super nice. Did they add a memory seat feature?
Justin

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
i just e-mailed my dealer to let him know i wont accept seats that are loose....

id call a 1/2 second faster 1/4 mile a significant power upgrade...at this level of car a 1/2 second is a heck of alot...

its nice to dream about the car being 525 hp, but i dont see any reason they wouldnt have made it as high as possible right from the start....would the insurance be any different? i doubt much.....does it help them sell cars? nope it would help with that HP number being as high as possible....id love it to be underrated....but it doesnt make sense to do it.....i understand why they did it on the RT since the true HP # is close to the SRT

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,642 Posts
"First, the seats would absolutely be unacceptable to me, that looks like crap"

When you tell a guy his seats look like "crap" in his $48k car, what kind of civilized response are you looking for?

SSX... that car is awesome. I'm happy for you.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Second, would seem to be a stretch describing +45HP and 50TQ as a significant increase in power. I realize the torque comes in lower but this is a relatively modest bump in specs. I also don't buy into the under rated non-sense that's constantly thrown around, my guess is this motor will come in right around where they claim it too be.
We already know that the R/T is underrated. This has been verified by multiple independent dyno results. So, facts:
1) Dodge does underrate (case in point: the R/T).
2) Dodge already reported that the 392 Hemi is capable of over 525HP, but that they tuned it down in order to pass stringent durability testing (200k+ miles), and again tuned the HP down slightly in trade for a massive increase in bottom-end torque.

So it *is* possible that the point from which they "tuned it down" for that bottom-end torque is underrated.

Preliminary dyno results suggest that this very well may be the case. We shall see.

Would anyone complain if it actually puts out closer to 500HP??

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Sorry, but the seat coverings need to be corrected. Unacceptable for a 48K car. How did that get past quality control??

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Totally agree

its VERY boarder line acceptable to me....if all the seats look like that id probably ask for a fix...if it was just 1 id live with it....remember the main thing were paying $1995 for is that seat....shouldnt it look Better and be higher Quality than the normal seat....

Red Dog #2...how did your seats turn out?

as the seat gets older its going to wrinkle more...the loosness may make it wrinkle and fold more...maybe it will look like an elephants skin in 2 years.
After seeing photos I totally agree!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sorry, but the seat coverings need to be corrected. Unacceptable for a 48K car. How did that get past quality control??
The QC guys had a little too much of a lunch break that day...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts