Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finally decided to stop reading about the Challenger, and go see one for myself and take one out. I currently have a 2007 Corvette, and have always been a Chevrolet/GM guy, but I really like the looks of the Challengers. And the new 6.4L engine and some of the other minor changes has got me thinking about switching to Dodge.

Anyway, local Dodge dealer had 2 R/Ts on the lot, no SRTs (not many of them around at all). The one I drove had an automatic, full leather seats and seemed heavily loaded. First impression sitting in it was that this is a very nice car. Its obviously a step up from Mustangs or Camaros in what you're getting (not bashing those cars, I had 3 Z28s before). Just this seems like a step up; interior materials are very nice, not a lot of noticeable hard plastic, white gages are very nice, and the steering wheel feels real good.

Seats are nice, I fit better in them then in my Corvette, but the Corvette is a much, much smaller car. I tried not to directly compare the 2 cars, as they are totally different cars and really shouldn't be compared. I've always like muscle cars more than sports cars, but I've loved my Corvette for the last 4 years - a blast to drive. The Challenger drove real nice, much softer than my Vette obviously, really like how it handled for such a big car. And it is a big car, but surprisingly it doesn't feel as big driving it as I thought it would be.

Big C pillar, and backing up seems to take a leap of faith as that is a huge blind spot, but other than that, visibility is real good. Didn't push it too much, car only had 40 miles and I won't beat on a new car. Power was nice, good stock exhaust sound, and the A5 shifted very smoothly (didn't even really notice the shifts that much at all). Steering is light, easy to turn, like the feeling (I like the small steering wheel, about same as my Vette).

Overall, I really like the car. Its a drastic change from my current Vette, and for those of you who are Dodge/Mopar fans, you know how hard it would be for to switch to GM or Ford, well, I've been a Chevy fan for the last 32 years. But, I really want something different, but it has to be a V8, with rear wheel drive, so my options are limited.

Got a price for ordering a new SRT (even picked out all the options and colors), and I'm thinking it over. Will make a decision this week, but I'm leaning toward getting an SRT. Depends on trade in for my Vette and final price of the SRT. Lots of details to work out yet.

Sorry this is so long, but just wanted to give my impressions. I truly am very impressed with the car, its real nice. Funny moment in this was opening up the trunk, and my wife and I said at the same time, wow, you could fit a body in there!! I have no idea why either of us first thought about a body fitting in the trunk, too many episodes of the Sopranos I guess.

Scott

·
Registered
301 Posts
Welcome Scott!

One piece of advice though for if you pull the trigger, search around online for the exact car you want. There is a good chance you'll find it and can get it shipped to you. You may get it cheaper and faster then ordering it direct!

·
Registered
402 Posts
To add to homerzeppelin's advice - if you do order, if I remember correctly, 2012 production is starting earlier this year as well - July/August. Something to consider.

edit: Best research that to be sure.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome Scott!

One piece of advice though for if you pull the trigger, search around online for the exact car you want. There is a good chance you'll find it and can get it shipped to you. You may get it cheaper and faster then ordering it direct!
That's possible. They said they had an IE for several weeks just sitting around and finally a dealer in SC wanted it, so they shipped that down there.

But for this much money, I'd like to get exactly what I want. I've been following the order issues on here for a while, so that does have me concerned (I'd hate to get a 2011 when 2012s are going into production).

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd keep an eye on her... :worried:
LOL. Thanks, I'll do that. Not sure what either of us was really thinking. Its been a long time since I've owned a car with a real trunk (most of my cars for last 16 years have been hatch backs (Z28s, Corvette). I like the idea of having a trunk again - whether a body fits or not! :)

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,790 Posts
Well, if you liked the R/T, all I can say is you're gonna LOVE the SRT with so much more hp and torque available plus better handling. When you get price quotes, keep in mind there are deals available BELOW invoice, even on 2011's. There are also a lot of left over 2010's around for up to $8,000 below MSRP, so it's a good time to act. Hope to see you here with one!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
it seems Dodge puts ordered cars last in line...if you dont mind waiting 2-6 months then order it.....many IE orders got canceled when IE's showed up at dealers while theirs sat in Canada...

i would never order again....there arent a heck of alot of options to choose from and you will find one close to what you want locally and probably get it for less than what you ordered them for

(many ie owners paid sticker, but those who bought dealer stock got close to invoice)

·
Banned
557 Posts
I am happy to hear your positive review of the Challenger. I just picked up a left over 2010 RT this past January. Saved a boat load, plus my local dealer was able to track down the exact car I wanted and have it shipped in. Well exact to a degree, the factory didn't offer a setup like I wanted.

I have been extremely happy with my purchase, and I suspect you would too. I have heard the 2011's even got better suspension. Power is about the same. Speaking of which, when I test drove my experience was the automatic was not very responsive, but I loved the 6-speed which I ended up buying. However, those with auto's have said getting a Predator tuner and running one of the canned tunes really, really wakes up the automatic.

As many praises as I have for the RT, I have also noticed some short comings. Just recently I felt the front end "floating" at higher speeds. This might have been addressed in the newer suspension but I anticipate the SRT would handle better. And while I grin ear to ear with the power of the RT, I find myself wanting more. LOL, it's a disease I tell you, so if I were to repurchase and had the money, I'd go 6.4 SRT all the way. Yes, I realize I can blow & stroke my 5.7 and deliver some d*mn good horsepower to the ground, but I could do the same thing with a 6.4 and deliver even more. I guess in the end, it all comes down to money. Also, with the RT's I know you get a 100k mile warranty on the powertrain, I'm not sure the SRT's offer that, I think it's only 36k miles if that's important to you.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am happy to hear your positive review of the Challenger. I just picked up a left over 2010 RT this past January. Saved a boat load, plus my local dealer was able to track down the exact car I wanted and have it shipped in. Well exact to a degree, the factory didn't offer a setup like I wanted.

I have been extremely happy with my purchase, and I suspect you would too. I have heard the 2011's even got better suspension. Power is about the same. Speaking of which, when I test drove my experience was the automatic was not very responsive, but I loved the 6-speed which I ended up buying. However, those with auto's have said getting a Predator tuner and running one of the canned tunes really, really wakes up the automatic.

As many praises as I have for the RT, I have also noticed some short comings. Just recently I felt the front end "floating" at higher speeds. This might have been addressed in the newer suspension but I anticipate the SRT would handle better. And while I grin ear to ear with the power of the RT, I find myself wanting more. LOL, it's a disease I tell you, so if I were to repurchase and had the money, I'd go 6.4 SRT all the way. Yes, I realize I can blow & stroke my 5.7 and deliver some d*mn good horsepower to the ground, but I could do the same thing with a 6.4 and deliver even more. I guess in the end, it all comes down to money. Also, with the RT's I know you get a 100k mile warranty on the powertrain, I'm not sure the SRT's offer that, I think it's only 36k miles if that's important to you.
Thanks for the response, I'm always interested in hearing peoples actual experiences with the car. I know for me the SRT is the only option; coming from my Corvette, I realize I won't find too many cars that can match the performance, but 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are not everything. This would be a daily driver, and my Corvette is rather stiff, and after 4 years, I'd like something a little softer. But, I want low end torque, that is what makes normal driving around town fun. And I'll admit, I want the looks and I need to be able to walk up to my car and think "wow, that looks good". I do that every time I walk up to my Corvette, and every time I see a Challenger, I think the same thing!

The 5.7 in the R/T felt nice, I was a little underwhelmed by the feeling. Not a knock on the R/T, just there is an obvious difference compared to mine. Although the R/T is a more comfortable car than mine, and while my car has been my daily driver for 4 years, its really better suited as a weekend only car. Very stiff during the cold months, and while handling is incredible, you pay for it in ride comfort. Would liked to have test driven an SRT, but not many of those around me.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger SRT in BSP
440 Posts
BC,

Thanks for your insight! I have also been primarily GM all my life until I decided to get a Dodge 2500 pickup with the Cummins 24 valve several years ago. My wife also had a Chrysler high-end something? for a while. The fit and finish on both are better than the GM cars we've owned, but the Chrysler's 3.5 v6 was not even close in power to the 3.8 liter or 3800 GM vehicles we've had. Not an issue with the 2011 Chrysler v6 and certainly not with either of the Hemis.

Anyway, when I saw the Challenger, it was LOVE! I've had my R/T for ~two years and never looked back on the decision. Though, with the 392 out, I am thinking very seriously of trading for a SRT in the near future.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,573 Posts
BriscoeCounty,

You obviously know your cars and have a solid idea of what you want. I think you owe it to yourself to take a short road trip and test drive a SRT 392 somewhere around where you live. I have an R/T myself (which I love dearly BTW), but I couldn't order one without trying one out first. I'm sure it will impress you, but man... you need to get out there and cement it in your mind.

Just one guys' opinion. You owe this to yourself.

·
Registered
430 Posts
...when I saw the Challenger, it was LOVE! I've had my R/T for ~two years and never looked back on the decision. Though, with the 392 out, I am thinking very seriously of trading for a SRT in the near future.
This is dead-on with my experience. I'm coming back from the 'stan this fall, about the time the MY-12 Challengers come out. Who knows what I will decide to do, but trading up is not out of the question. I'm just dying to see what 2012 MY has in store for the Challenger.

·
Super Moderator
15,963 Posts
Brisco - it sounds like you're doing the proper research and thinking it over.

Are you considering the automatic or 6-speed? The Challenger shares the same model of 6-speed manual (Tremec TR6060) as the 'Vettes have, but the shifter rods are way different due to the 'Vettes transaxle layout vs. the conventional front engine/trans orientation of the Challenger.

The 6.4 engine in the SRT is going to have a significant amount of torque early on in the power band (something like 80% from 1,900 rpm on up), so you'll have much more of the power-to-weight feel of the 'Vette with a 5.7 engine (of course there's a lot of difference between the base 'Vette vs. a Z06...but you know that).

The SRTs will be firmer riding than the R/T version, but it won't be a stiff, jarring ride like the Z51 equipped Vette suspension option. Think of a firm, damped ride, but with compliance to day-to-day driving - that's one trait of the Challenger line is that you get performance w/o getting beat up driving one around on the street on a daily basis or long trips.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brisco - it sounds like you're doing the proper research and thinking it over.

Are you considering the automatic or 6-speed? The Challenger shares the same model of 6-speed manual (Tremec TR6060) as the 'Vettes have, but the shifter rods are way different due to the 'Vettes transaxle layout vs. the conventional front engine/trans orientation of the Challenger.

The 6.4 engine in the SRT is going to have a significant amount of torque early on in the power band (something like 80% from 1,900 rpm on up), so you'll have much more of the power-to-weight feel of the 'Vette with a 5.7 engine (of course there's a lot of difference between the base 'Vette vs. a Z06...but you know that).

The SRTs will be firmer riding than the R/T version, but it won't be a stiff, jarring ride like the Z51 equipped Vette suspension option. Think of a firm, damped ride, but with compliance to day-to-day driving - that's one trait of the Challenger line is that you get performance w/o getting beat up driving one around on the street on a daily basis or long trips.
Thanks for the info. I'm trying not to do the impulse buy that I have done in the past. I bought an 05 GTO on a whim, and that turned out to be a huge mistake - cost me a fortune to get rid of it 2 years later and get into my Corvette.

I can't imagine I wouldn't like the SRT, I'm really looking forward to something less jarring on a daily basis than my current vet. I'm looking at the 5 speed automatic - its a daily driver and I've never really been that fond of shifting that I want to do it every day. So, an SRT with lots of low end grunt as a daily driver sounds perfect to me.

·
Registered
389 Posts
As you mentioned, you already know a Challenger isn't a Vette - totally different cars. As a former Camaro SS and Z28 owner, I am exceptionally happy with my 2010 SRT8. Even stock it was (IMO) far better than either of my previous Chevys in overall performance, ride quality, and especially the interior. Also, the seats are probably the most comfortable and best fitting I've ever had in a car (to include a previous Jag). I drive mine daily, mostly highway without traffic, and I take a nice twisty back road on the way home - the SRT handles those tight curves and swift elevation changes on the back road very well and provides a great deal of confidence in the handling department. On top of that - exceptionally comfortable ride. Great for long road trips - I don't feel anywhere near the fatigue I did with my Camaros. The other thing I like are all the aftermarket mods available - especially in the performance arena. You can get some reasonable performance gains without spending a ton of money - some simple bolt on stuff and a Predator - or if you really want to go all out, there's plenty of stuff available too. Point being, you can really customize the look and peformance of the car to suit your taste with the aftermarket. But even stock - the SRT8 is IMO a very impressive machine for a "muscle car." Comfort, handling, performance, looks - its the "whole package" you can easily live with and enjoy as a daily driver too.

·
Super Moderator
15,963 Posts
The 5-speed will be a good match for you then, based on your preferences.

These automatics have continually adaptive shift programming (in addition to the auto-stick function that allows manual over-ride of shifting).

*You drive more conservatively, the tranny will up-shift sooner and hold off downshifts unless you give more throttle or faster throttle opening.

*in more "enthusiastic" driving, the tranny upshift later, hold a gear longer and downshift more sooner (less throttle).

*MDS is new for the 2011 6.4 w/ automatic which will shift into 4-cyl mode under cruise/light throttle which helps the 6.4 hit higher MPG ratings than the former 6.1 (it didn't have MDS or Variable Cam Timing like the 5.7 or the '11 6.4).
[all '09+ 5.7s have VCT and only automatics get the MDS function].

*when in auto-stick mode, MDS is defeated if you don't want to have it kick in.

So, all in all, these 5-speed automatics don't have different shift programs like other makers do, but it does change continually depending on driving conditions. Auto-stick adds a measure of driver control over the standard function.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If it makes you feel better, my husband and I both made the "body" comment upon first seeing the trunk as well - though we are pretty sure you could easily fit 2 in there. ;)

Oh, and we've never watched the Sopranos. We do love Dexter though... :browsmiley:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Coming from a 05 vette, i knew i couldn't compare the two cars. Apples to oranges as they say. I loved my vette but needed something with more room, didn't even consider any other car but the challenger. It's not as quick and nimble as the vette but man is it fun to drive. I have a 2010 srt six speed, so i can only imagine what the 6.4 engine and all the other improvements feel like on the new ones. The only downside to the challenger is, gas milage sucks compared to the vette, not i big deal to me but it matters to some people. Goodluck on your decission.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I can't imagine I wouldn't like the SRT, I'm really looking forward to something less jarring on a daily basis than my current vet. I'm looking at the 5 speed automatic - its a daily driver and I've never really been that fond of shifting that I want to do it every day. So, an SRT with lots of low end grunt as a daily driver sounds perfect to me.
I concur with several other posters in that there is a significant increase in suspension stiffness between the R/T and the SRT-8 (one of the reasons I went with the SRT-8 for my first purchase) though it is by no means harsh. This may offset your feelings of being underwhelmed. I anticipate from the suspension changes for the 2011 SRT-8 that a 392 will have an even firmer ride (though again, not harsh).

I also couldn't help but notice that you are in the backyard of a legend of a dealer to this forum: you need to head up to New Wilmington Motors and talk to Bob Frederick for a test drive.

He will likely have several SRT-8 392 's on his lot, and if he doesn't have the combo you want, he has the allocation available to either order it for you or get it from another dealer without hassle or BS. PM me or search the forum if you want his contact info.

I've got my second SRT-8 on order with him and I live in CA. If I was as close as you I'd make the drive in a heartbeat (sorry for the GM pun).

:bigthumb:

Good luck with your decision!

p.s. - 2008 Orange: Dexter ROCKS!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts