Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short. I've negotiated an out the door price with the dealership on a fully loaded new 2017 Scat Pack. MSRP of $49,460 with an out the door price of $42,250. This will amount to $11,291 off MSRP. I've reserved the vehicle and other then setting up insurance along with providing the lenders information, am I missing something here? I believe its a financially sound price on this vehicle.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
My scat back in 15 was 43 MSRP, paid a little over 37 plus tax and tag. When I bought there was no incentives so I was haggling just over price, I also ordered so it wasn't a lot queen either.

Typically to know if your going to get a good deal you need three numbers, MSRP, invoice, and hold back. you calculate hold back by multiplying 3% of MSRP. Take that number and minus it from invoice that's what the dealer paid for it, so really hold back is your wiggle room. Then of course add incentives on top of that.

Good deal today is a bad one tomorrow. But if your getting a fully loaded Scat for 42 after tax and tag, I would think that's a good deal.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Sounds good to me. If you like the car and the price then buy it and never look back. There will always be somebody with a better deal but most important thing is getting the car you are happy with as you will have to live with that car long after you forget how good of a deal you got on a car you don't like. :D

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Great numbers. Same I had one year earlier on a 16. Grab it laugh and NEVER look back! Send pics...

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Great numbers. Same I had one year earlier on a 16. Grab it laugh and NEVER look back! Send pics...
Unless you REALLY like the all leather. Then you could squeeze play him into putting in katzkin in for you. That's what happened to me. I liked the Shaker with the all leather seats....... After 6 hours there, I get katzkin. Don't hurt to try IF that is what you want. Now is a....... the time.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Reads like a pretty good price. You have to be careful. If you ask you will invariably get someone who responds that he got a much better price. Not saying this is not the case but you can only do what you can do. Dealers differ in what they'll do regarding discounting cars.

That being said I can tell you for a 2018 R/T Scat Pack with around $6K in options I offered the dealer the base price -- as listed on the Marooney sticker of $38995 and $1095 destination charge for a total of $40090 not including tax/license. The dealer accepted my offer.

I have since seen some posts that suggest others have done even better but as I touched upon above based on my research I think I did about as good as I could. This back in Dec 17, 2017. Now maybe if I were to try to buy the *same* car today nearly 3 months later I might do even better. Or I might do worse.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
What else are you paying for that is $4,081? The difference between your price and the MSRP is $7,210, but you said you got discounts of $11,291. Sure, there are taxes, but what else make up the $4,081?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What else are you paying for that is $4,081? The difference between your price and the MSRP is $7,210, but you said you got discounts of $11,291. Sure, there are taxes, but what else makes up the $4,081?
The MSRP at the out the door price of $42,250 given TTL and sales rate of 6.25% in Texas put the actual vehicle price at $37,296. This amounts to $12,164 off the $49,460 MSRP. When including all fees the loan amount will reach $39,927 and $2,331 in taxes putting me just about at the $42,250 out the door price. I'll also be putting $2,000 down when I go to the dealership.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The MSRP at the out the door price of $42,250 given TTL and sales rate of 6.25% in Texas put the actual vehicle price at $37,296. This amounts to $12,164 off the $49,460 MSRP. When including all fees the loan amount will reach $39,927 and $2,331 in taxes putting me just about at the $42,250 out the door price. I'll also be putting $2,000 down when I go to the dealership.
Sounds good. Post pics when you get it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
318 Posts
Pass on the extras. I wish I had. I got lojack, but UConnect tells you where the car is 24/7. I also got the rim insurance, because I was worried about potholes. If I drove in the winter I would keep that, but as a summer ride it hasn't been a problem. The tires are so wide they tend to just bridge most potholes!

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Car looks fantastic - congrats! She is screaming for some black lug nuts now ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congratulations!!! Awesome car. Planning any mods? Good luck!
Just ordered a billet catch can this morning. Any many small items to flow over the next 6 months.

Car looks fantastic - congrats! She is screaming for some black lug nuts now ;)
Thanks! Yes, that will definitely be addressed next.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Long story short. I've negotiated an out the door price with the dealership on a fully loaded new 2017 Scat Pack. MSRP of $49,460 with an out the door price of $42,250. This will amount to $11,291 off MSRP. I've reserved the vehicle and other then setting up insurance along with providing the lenders information, am I missing something here? I believe its a financially sound price on this vehicle.
Good luck! Just remember, the dealer ALWAYS wins otherwise they won't do the deal. The best deal is always on a used car, not only from a depreciation standard but it also limits the dealers ability to make gross amounts of money of you. Hate to say it - you can get a GOOD deal, but you'll never beat the dealer.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Very nice....enjoy!

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Good luck! Just remember, the dealer ALWAYS wins otherwise they won't do the deal. The best deal is always on a used car, not only from a depreciation standard but it also limits the dealers ability to make gross amounts of money of you. Hate to say it - you can get a GOOD deal, but you'll never beat the dealer.
Not that this is worth arguing over, but I've heard dealers actually make more on used cars than new ones, it's the service(typically unneeded anyway) on the new cars that they really want.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
Not that this is worth arguing over, but I've heard dealers actually make more on used cars than new ones, it's the service(typically unneeded anyway) on the new cars that they really want.

You are correct, the last poster is not at least in general. He was correct in saying the dealer always wins, that's true, but so does Walmart when I buy peanut butter. With that said there is not a whole lot of money on a new car, 40-50k challenger they stand to make only a few grand on that car at best, barring any hidden factory incentives they don't share with you. The window on new cars is very small. And figure they have money in salesman commission, dealer prep, overhead etc. Their money is really made on service, and selling you product protection and accessories.

Dealers make their money on used cars all day long. Just a fact. Sure you win the depreciation war, but that's not with the dealer that's you against time for the most part. Most dealers keep at least a 5k buffer if not more between what they got the trade for and what they expect to get, and even evident in the fact that more times then not they aren't even giving you retail anymore they are actually giving you whole sale pricing at auction.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,128 Posts
I believe they make more money on their prestige cars. Used to be Viper, Hellcat. The other cars are the bread and butter, certainly the majority of their sales, but they don't make out like bandits. A Guy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts