Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time Challenger owner and doing mods

I wanted to thank everyone for the experience shared on here. I come from a long line of Mustangs, a car I still love, but always had a feel for old school MOPAR's, and hotrods. Anyway to the topic at hand, I've never modded a MOPAR before and have parts coming, so I'm curious as to what to expect. I have a 2017 T/A with the 5.7. Already installed a Barton STS. I also have a PCM and tuner (diablo), catback flowmaster outlaws, and a whipple Supercharger comming. The exhaust and tuner will come first, and the supercharger a couple weeks later from what I understand. Which brings me to my question, if I install the exhaust first, do I need to install the PCM first in order to tune the car? Does the Diablo come with a preset tune or do I have to have one custom sent from the manufacturer? I'm thinking/hoping, seeing the car comes with a factory CAI and a functional air scoop, that a tune might do it well with after market exhaust.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase! Nothing wrong with Mustangs, in my opinion; they're fine cars.

To answer your questions:

You don't need a tune for your cat-backs and CAI, alone. Your tuner will come with some canned tunes, but I wouldn't use those. Whoever is doing the install of your supercharger should create a custom tune for your car. If you're doing the install, yourself, I would still get a custom tune from speed shop. I personally recommend Arrington Performance, but I've heard good things about High Horse Performance, Petty's Garage, Barth Tuning, and Hemi Fever. If you poke around on these boards, you're sure to get more information.

Have fun and remember: keep it between the ditches and rubber side down.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations on your purchase! Nothing wrong with Mustangs, in my opinion; they're fine cars.

To answer your questions:

You don't need a tune for your cat-backs and CAI, alone. Your tuner will come with some canned tunes, but I wouldn't use those. Whoever is doing the install of your supercharger should create a custom tune for your car. If you're doing the install, yourself, I would still get a custom tune from speed shop. I personally recommend Arrington Performance, but I've heard good things about High Horse Performance, Petty's Garage, Barth Tuning, and Hemi Fever. If you poke around on these boards, you're sure to get more information.

Have fun and remember: keep it between the ditches and rubber side down.
I noticed you were running a Whipple as well, did they send you a tune or did you go through a speed shop to get yours tuned? I'll be doing mine alone. If I go to a speed shop, it seems I just wasted money on a tuner.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I noticed you were running a Whipple as well, did they send you a tune or did you go through a speed shop to get yours tuned? I'll be doing mine alone. If I go to a speed shop, it seems I just wasted money on a tuner.
If you're doing your own installation, we're in different situations, but I still think having a tuner would be helpful for you. I shipped my car to Arrington and they installed my Whipple, and I bought a tuner and PCM as part of the installation package. I did that because I live about 700 miles away from Arrington's shop. They did a dyno tune as part of the installation and then I drove it home. It still took some back and forth emailing to nail down the final tune and that's where having a tuner came in handy. I'd make a log with my tuner, email it to them, they'd write a tune and email it to me, and I'd upload it to my car. After a couple of times, they finally got it perfect for me.

In your case, it's still worth having a tuner. Once you do your own install, you can make a log and get a tune from any speed shop in the country that does remote tuning (I know Arrington, High Horse, and Hemi Fever all do that). It's not quite as good as a dyno tune, but I suspect it's pretty darned close.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're doing your own installation, we're in different situations, but I still think having a tuner would be helpful for you. I shipped my car to Arrington and they installed my Whipple, and I bought a tuner and PCM as part of the installation package. I did that because I live about 700 miles away from Arrington's shop. They did a dyno tune as part of the installation and then I drove it home. It still took some back and forth emailing to nail down the final tune and that's where having a tuner came in handy. I'd make a log with my tuner, email it to them, they'd write a tune and email it to me, and I'd upload it to my car. After a couple of times, they finally got it perfect for me.

In your case, it's still worth having a tuner. Once you do your own install, you can make a log and get a tune from any speed shop in the country that does remote tuning (I know Arrington, High Horse, and Hemi Fever all do that). It's not quite as good as a dyno tune, but I suspect it's pretty darned close.
You've been a big help, I appreciate your time!

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
You've been a big help, I appreciate your time!
No worries, man--glad to help. Keep us posted on the results. Having a Whipple will make a BIG difference. ;)

P.S. Kudos to you for doing your own install. I wish I had the time, equipment, and mechanical aptitude to do something like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts