Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
52 Posts
Ive been studying this... I'm going to do it to my new scat pack... the car is basically brand new but sat at the dealer lot many months and shows some black flakes, contaminants etc. I watched the video at auto geek... looks slick

·
Super Moderator
13,974 Posts
Besides getting rid of embedded dirt, the detail spray used with the clay bar puts a high gloss shine to the paint.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been thinking about this as well. Two questions: did you use clay lube or soap and water? and did you use it on your wheels also?

·
Registered
789 Posts
There is no need to use their "clay lube." Make your own with dish soap. In fact, the spray that comes with Mothers Clay Bar for example is inferior IMO. I empty out the bottom and add my own dish soap and water. Plus, since it is soap and water, it's like "washing" the surface too.

In theory, you can use it on wheels since it's a painted surface. I wouldn't. No real logic. Maybe cause the brake dust is much larger, and contaminants on a paint surface. I'm afraid scratch the surface paint of the wheel, even if I was to knead the clay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks, OJ. I read several posts from folks that use lube, but felt that soap and water would be just as good. My wheels are a PITA to keep clean, so I've been looking into several different methods to clean and coat them. Currently looking at CarPro HydrO2.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,996 Posts
Reactions: 1 person

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
There is no need to use their "clay lube." Make your own with dish soap. In fact, the spray that comes with Mothers Clay Bar for example is inferior IMO. I empty out the bottom and add my own dish soap and water. Plus, since it is soap and water, it's like "washing" the surface too.
This is why I use a Clay "mitt" instead of a clay "bar" you use the clay mitt while washing the car like you would a wash mitt, it's faster and works just as good as a clay bar.
I've used the mitt on 4 cars so far and it's still usable.

Reactions: 1 person

·
Registered
2015 R/T
499 Posts
Clayed mine followed by Wolfgang polish 2 coats. was easier than I thought it would be and come out great. It was amazing how much junk got into the clear coat and wasn't felt by bare hand, Put on a plastic bag and thought holy shit it's loaded with junk..

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts