Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Red Eye Widebody
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,

I see that diiaa36 posted his first time great experience running at a drag strip and probably should just tag on to his OP, but I asked for forum advice and wanted those who kindly responded to see my forum name of Finface in the OP.

I also had my first drag strip experience at Edgewater Motor Sports Park near Cincinnati week ago! The car had a fresh oil change with SRT oil filter that morning at 900 miles. For $25 track fee and $150 for a full face Snell approved helmet I was able to make 7 runs myself, and let my experienced 2016 Hellcat owner neighbor, who tail chased with me to the track, make one run, in my 2019 Hellcat Red Eye Wide Body with the A8 and stock all season tires. We got there early to start runs right at 1800 and almost rolled right into run after run for the first hour we were there! Didn't start getting crowded with motorcycles and junior rail racers until about 1930. In another thread I asked for and got lots of great advice about this, and I may get some dedicated rear tires in the future, but for this virgin strip experience I just went fully stock. As an aside, and comparison to what my car did, my neighbor's 2016 NB Hellcat with the A8, stock except for 305 Nitro street/drag radials, has run an 11.1 on this track and this evening consistently he consistently ran 11.5's in his Hellcat.

It was a 90 degree sunny evening - hot! No AC allowed - don't want water dripping from under the car. Neither the car, nor I, have suffered any visible damage. However, I write this post from the local mental hospital where I’ve been confined after being arrested for “excessive public display of wild exuberance after legally driving insanely fast”. I didn’t even know you could be temporarily committed for that. They say I’ll likely be released tomorrow.

My first run was a throwaway - I'd never seen any drag strip track length, or runout, from a car so a cruising run. Still got above 90 mph - pretty cool!

On every subsequent run RDEYE's all season Pirellis, at 32 psi, hopelessly lost traction (even with driving around the water - no burnouts), then regained traction by virtue of the Street Mode traction control. Invariably on launch, invariably when the automatic 8 speed shifted through 3rd, 4th and maybe even 5th gear a couple of times. By about 80 mph I could usually floor it without losing any traction. Each run was an exercise in sharp, short jerks accompanied by RPM increases - and slight steering corrections - as the tires failed to put the car’s power to the ground through those early gears. But it never felt like I was going to lose it and swap ends - not even close. No doubt if I could have feathered the throttle and not spun the tires early in my runs I could have broken 12 seconds. I've seen a video where a 2019 RE WB in perfect conditions with stock summer Pirelli's broke 11 seconds.

Five of these were all + or - .3 second low 13 second quarter mile times, with end speeds between 115 and 120 mph. 13.1 to 13.6 runs.

On my last run I let the rear tire psi down to 28 psi and cracked 13 seconds with a 12.742 time at 119 mph. All I can say is every run felt and looked really fast! And…it was a blast!

My neighbor took the last run in my RE and he clocked a 12.45. I asked him how the car felt compared to his and he said it felt the same, except my car's tires spun too much. I've read that the RE's extra 80-90 HP (depending on which Hellcat year you're comparing it to) really only matters pulling from 150-200 mph. And I only need that power when I'm late for work!

If you can do what I did - go on a low key, non-competitive fun night - to a drag strip do it as a "life experience". I could care less that the announcer would say, "And here's a Challenger Red Eye!" and then I'd make runs a couple of seconds slower than advertised. Traction control in Street Mode made this a relatively safe, low stress outing.

I'm going back in September for another night. It was also really cool to see all the other fast cars and meet other enthusiasts.

Best,

Finface

·
Registered
413 Posts
All,

I see that diiaa36 posted his first time great experience running at a drag strip and probably should just tag on to his OP, but I asked for forum advice and wanted those who kindly responded to see my forum name of Finface in the OP.

I also had my first drag strip experience at Edgewater Motor Sports Park near Cincinnati week ago! The car had a fresh oil change with SRT oil filter that morning at 900 miles. For $25 track fee and $150 for a full face Snell approved helmet I was able to make 7 runs myself, and let my experienced 2016 Hellcat owner neighbor, who tail chased with me to the track, make one run, in my 2019 Hellcat Red Eye Wide Body with the A8 and stock all season tires. We got there early to start runs right at 1800 and almost rolled right into run after run for the first hour we were there! Didn't start getting crowded with motorcycles and junior rail racers until about 1930. In another thread I asked for and got lots of great advice about this, and I may get some dedicated rear tires in the future, but for this virgin strip experience I just went fully stock. As an aside, and comparison to what my car did, my neighbor's 2016 NB Hellcat with the A8, stock except for 305 Nitro street/drag radials, has run an 11.1 on this track and this evening consistently he consistently ran 11.5's in his Hellcat.

It was a 90 degree sunny evening - hot! No AC allowed - don't want water dripping from under the car. Neither the car, nor I, have suffered any visible damage. However, I write this post from the local mental hospital where I’ve been confined after being arrested for “excessive public display of wild exuberance after legally driving insanely fast”. I didn’t even know you could be temporarily committed for that. They say I’ll likely be released tomorrow.

My first run was a throwaway - I'd never seen any drag strip track length, or runout, from a car so a cruising run. Still got above 90 mph - pretty cool!

On every subsequent run RDEYE's all season Pirellis, at 32 psi, hopelessly lost traction (even with driving around the water - no burnouts), then regained traction by virtue of the Street Mode traction control. Invariably on launch, invariably when the automatic 8 speed shifted through 3rd, 4th and maybe even 5th gear a couple of times. By about 80 mph I could usually floor it without losing any traction. Each run was an exercise in sharp, short jerks accompanied by RPM increases - and slight steering corrections - as the tires failed to put the car’s power to the ground through those early gears. But it never felt like I was going to lose it and swap ends - not even close. No doubt if I could have feathered the throttle and not spun the tires early in my runs I could have broken 12 seconds. I've seen a video where a 2019 RE WB in perfect conditions with stock summer Pirelli's broke 11 seconds.

Five of these were all + or - .3 second low 13 second quarter mile times, with end speeds between 115 and 120 mph. 13.1 to 13.6 runs.

On my last run I let the rear tire psi down to 28 psi and cracked 13 seconds with a 12.742 time at 119 mph. All I can say is every run felt and looked really fast! And…it was a blast!

My neighbor took the last run in my RE and he clocked a 12.45. I asked him how the car felt compared to his and he said it felt the same, except my car's tires spun too much. I've read that the RE's extra 80-90 HP (depending on which Hellcat year you're comparing it to) really only matters pulling from 150-200 mph. And I only need that power when I'm late for work!

If you can do what I did - go on a low key, non-competitive fun night - to a drag strip do it as a "life experience". I could care less that the announcer would say, "And here's a Challenger Red Eye!" and then I'd make runs a couple of seconds slower than advertised. Traction control in Street Mode made this a relatively safe, low stress outing.

I'm going back in September for another night. It was also really cool to see all the other fast cars and meet other enthusiasts.

Best,

Finface
Well that was an excellent report and sounds like you had a blast!! Great job on "feeling her out" rather than trying too hard too fast. Very smart. With the 8 speeds.....they always run the fastest leaving it in drive and let the computer do it's magic. It's that way on my Scat too. The first few gears are so low it just damn near impossible to keep up. Great idea to resume in the Fall. Better on the equipment, the driver and much better ET's. Invest in another set of rear wheels for the Track. Put some Hoosier DR 2's on them and run about 22 psi. Do an easy burnout and it will damn near dead hook and go straight as an arrow. It will be MUCH safer and faster. Enjoy that beast and keep us posted....Gene:)

·
Registered
849 Posts
Definitely need some better rear tires and let it eat.
Good times. Just like most hellcats think, they’ll turn good times just because of the HP. More to it than that. They don’t like getting drug down the track by my RT lol.
Keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Red Eye Widebody
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I got a set of rear wheels for going to the drag strip for a Wide Body with the 11 inch Devil's Rim wheels, what would make the most sense in terms of size, weight, safety (probably should list that first!) and performance? The stock tires are 305's. I've seen posts where people have put on 315's.

It would have to be street legal and able to make a freeway drive an hour to and from the drag strip. And maybe do it in the rain should a chance thunderstorm blow up here in the midwest.

Best,

Finface

·
Registered
413 Posts
If I got a set of rear wheels for going to the drag strip for a Wide Body with the 11 inch Devil's Rim wheels, what would make the most sense in terms of size, weight, safety (probably should list that first!) and performance? The stock tires are 305's. I've seen posts where people have put on 315's.

It would have to be street legal and able to make a freeway drive an hour to and from the drag strip. And maybe do it in the rain should a chance thunderstorm blow up here in the midwest.

Best,

Finface
Most guys run 17" or 18" Wheels. I went to 17" Drag Stars all the way around. I run 315/35/17 Hoosier DR 2's on mine. Sticks like glue at the Track. They are not meant for the rain since they are basically slicks. They feel like my street tires at 30 psi. At the Track I air them down to 22 psi. I had to use shorter sway bar end links to clear the wheels. B WOODY makes a great set and are under 100 bucks. Install is very easy! I saved 88lbs on 4 corners vs the 20 inch wheels.

The next best option for Drag Radials would be the Mickey Thompson ET Streets. They have plenty of tread for the rain...but ET's will suffer a lil bit.

I live in Florida and I do not drive the Hoosiers in the rain. You could....but it would be 20 mph tops. Track tires will make ur monster SO MUCH more enjoyable AND safer. As Carl said....you will be clicking off 10's with ease :)

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Finface, sounds like you had a good time! I know I always do.
The drag radial advice is spot on. Once you start hooking up and running some consistent times (hopefully breaking into the tens) you will be completely addicted and working on reaction time and other details.
The folks at PKauto helped me with advice on which wheel and tire combo's would fit my car.
I have the Hellraiser 20x11 rims on the rear with Nitto NT05r tires and drive 2 hours to the track and they are fine at freeway speeds.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Sounds awesome dude, nice report. Yeah, All-Season tires pretty much suck at everything except moderately holding cruising speeds with a bit of rain. Handling, launching, torque management, MPG and winter - they suck. These days, with the experience i've had with tires over the years, I recommend you get a set of Summer Ultra High Performance (with some DRs for track/strip), and a set of actual winter tires, if running car in winter.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,188 Posts
Use 305/35/20 MT ET Street S/S on the stock wheels. Preferably you'd want to get a set of 17 or 18" wheels and throw some M/T ET Street R's on the back in the widest width you could get. That car has just about 800hp so you need as much traction as you can get. Most of your ET is given up at the 60ft mark from spinning or not hooking up good. Once you nail that down, the car will be running mid 10's or faster easily.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My 717hp stock Hellcat still has problems with traction using the 305 45 R 17 M/T ET Street R mounted on a 17 X 10.5 Weld S71 wheel. I wouldn't even think of using a lesser tire at the track with a 797hp Redeye. My cars first pass at the track was a 10.7X....a Redeye without a doubt will be faster than that. I was racing in 1200DA also.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Use 305/35/20 MT ET Street S/S on the stock wheels. Preferably you'd want to get a set of 17 or 18" wheels and throw some M/T ET Street R's on the back in the widest width you could get. That car has just about 800hp so you need as much traction as you can get. Most of your ET is given up at the 60ft mark from spinning or not hooking up good. Once you nail that down, the car will be running mid 10's or faster easily.
Get the 60 down.....your in!

·
Registered
92 Posts
All,

Best,

Finface
You will go much quicker with good tires. As long as you hook at WOT on the hit, you will go DEEP in the 10s. My 717hp Hellcat runs 10.80s at 2500 DA. You would probably be more like 10.50s maybe 40s.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts