Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently stationed overseas and I am looking to buy a 392 SPS. I tried looking around for what I want online via the dealerships but I am not finding the exact model and specifications that I want. So, I have decided to do a custom factory build via the dodge website. How does this process work and if the car is not to my liking (hopefully not really want a shaker) do I owe the dealership anything? Appreciate all of the help.

·
Registered
959 Posts
For me, I sat down with the sales manager at our local dealer, got on the Dodge vehicle ordering page and built my car from available options.

I was asked to put down a refundable deposit of $500. I had no obligation to buy as long as I didn't order anything weird. They want to be able to sell the car if I don't buy it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I did mine over the phone with my salesman at my dodge dealer.

Nothing down, no worries.

I had everything ready to go and emailed him the day before so he had a 99% idea of what I wanted and the we just went over the 2018 options I coulda picked from. I didn't pick any of them and we were done.

Even if I don't buy it when it arrives, they'll sell it in a week. It's not overoptioned and setup as a M6 T/A Plus with hoodpins and 3 season tires. They ordered 3 T/A late last model year and never thought they'd have much interest but they said they had a lot of interest and they are going to order more like mine this year. I told my salesman the 2017 numbers RS posted and he said he expects more T/As this year

·
Registered
463 Posts
You can't order a car from the website. It is only to spec out a car and see the options etc. It is not always accurate, they don't do a great job of keeping it up to date. You need to go to a dealer to make the deal and order the car.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I am currently stationed overseas and I am looking to buy a 392 SPS. I tried looking around for what I want online via the dealerships but I am not finding the exact model and specifications that I want. So, I have decided to do a custom factory build via the dodge website. How does this process work and if the car is not to my liking (hopefully not really want a shaker) do I owe the dealership anything? Appreciate all of the help.
Stationed overseas... military (thanks for your service) or civilian? What country (it might make a difference)? You can't just go to the Dodge website, pick what you want and place an order. You have to have a dealer or broker or someone else involved. And depending on the country you are in, there might not be any warranty after the car ships to you. If you are military, I think there are ways of doing it that is pretty straight forward through military channels. As for receiving the car and not liking it, you might be out of luck. If the car is damaged or not what you ordered, then you might have some options. But once the car is on a boat and out of the USA, you might be very limited on what your options are.

Keep asking questions. We'll get you a car somehow.

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
When I was in Korea we could order a car through AFEES (Army and Air Force Exchange Service) at the local BX. I would assume you could do that where you are stationed. Once ordered through AFEES you merely go pick up the car at whatever dealership you wanted it sent to when you DEROS, or have it sent overseas, which I would not do on a bet BTW.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,003 Posts

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
980 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Appreciate all of the help. I am in the Navy and Military Auto Source does not carry the SPS. I will be heading back to the states for shore duty in December. Was wondering if I could get the car stateside by the time I get back? Should I just try to call my local dealers and work them for the best deal?

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
Appreciate all of the help. I am in the Navy and Military Auto Source does not carry the SPS. I will be heading back to the states for shore duty in December. Was wondering if I could get the car stateside by the time I get back? Should I just try to call my local dealers and work them for the best deal?
I'm in Tucson. 125 miles away, Phoenix, is a much more competitive market. Here's my method for buying a car FWIW. I search cars.com and the individual dealership web sites. Once I find a vehicle I check reviews. I'm looking for ideally a dealership that does not pre-load aftermarket add ons or require the purchase of them and a dealership that does not play the old games. Searching reviews and the fine print on the dealer web sites will answer those questions. Then I email the dealership through their web site requesting a quote. Once they know I don't live in the neighborhood, they know they have one shot at a good deal. Once I have a good quote I go to the dealer and beat them down a bit more. I always have credit pre approved at my credit union. This saves time. Also, big tip, join USAA. Once you do go on their webs site and print out a certificate for an additional $1000 off. Don't tell the dealer until you've made the deal then lay the certificate on them. They will call USAA for a number and you get that additional $1000. This is the perfect time to buy. Big discount even on SPS.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Hi, didn't you say in the beginning of this thread that you did not want the shaker? I have a feeling here that you want a Scat Pack without shaker. Is that right or am I wrong again. I think it is a terminology mix up. Hope so.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
980 Posts
I'm surprised they don't carry the SPS or scat pack. I could se the HC and Demon. I got my SRT through them. Strange... Well good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Military auto source offered me a demon and hell cat but I just don't want to pay that much. I think the 392 shaker looks amazing. If I were to call the dealer over the phone. Could they order me one and then I just pay for it when I get back to the states? Appreciate all of the help and advice.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The sad pat about buying a new challenger is as soon as you drive it off the lot you lose 2 to 5 thousand dollars wright off the bat and THATS SAD

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
The sad pat about buying a new challenger is as soon as you drive it off the lot you lose 2 to 5 thousand dollars wright off the bat and THATS SAD

Not necessarily. Of course you have to wait and take the pickings at the end of the year and get lucky! I did.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts