Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 RT Challenger with 30k miles. After a day or so of setting I try to start my challenger and turn the fob the engine just cranks and wont fires up. But I will turn the fob off and wait a few sec and turn the fob and it fires right up. Then fires right up every time after but when it sets for like a day it does this again. Anyone experienced this. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,029 Posts
After sitting for a day or more, it is normal for it to take longer to fire up, but your no start is definitely off-nominal.

Try this: put the key in and turn to Run with your foot OFF the brake. You should hear the fuel pump energize and pressure up the system for approximately 2 seconds. Once it has done that, put your foot on the brake and turn the key forward to start like normal.

What happens at that point?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok the last couple mornings I been doing what you said and it fires up right away. So what could be causing this.

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
Issues with one of the fuel pump assemblies (one is a pump, the other is a sending unit really). IIRC, there was a recall or maybe a TSB on early 2000s Dodge LX fuel systems. I don’t know if the Challengers were included, but it’s worth a look to see of yours is under any recalls related to the fuel system.

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
The gas tank is a saddle shaped design that sits over the transmission hump and under the rear seat. If you Were to pull up the rear seat bottoms, you see the top of the fuel tank and two round entry points (one under each seat bottom) with wires going into that tank.

The one on the drivers side is the actual fuel pump assembly, and the other one is a sensing unit that keeps the gas tank equalized and sends the signals for fuel level to the PCM.

When you turn the ignition to Run without starting the engine, those two assemblies energize and pressurize the fuel lines/rails with gasoline in anticipation of the running engine needing a steady flow of fuel to the injectors.

It sounds like one or both of your fuel pumps is having trouble pressuring the system properly after a long sit powered off. Maybe it’s a problem with one or both assemblies, or maybe it’s a problem with the fuel system that keeps it from pressurizing properly after sitting a long time.

If it were a problem with the fuel system I would expect the PCM to be able to detect that and throw some codes and illuminate the CEL. But that’s merely a guess.

Have the car’s ODB-II port scanned for any stored DTCs that might be related here. You never know, there might be one stored that sheds some light on what’s going on, but it’s been hiding since the CEL isn’t on to alert you to an active problem. (The CEL only illuminates when the issue that causes it is active. If something is detected but doesn’t remain, recur, or stay active, the CEL will not be lit up or go out without you knowing it was ever on sometimes.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts