Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first time tacking a car to the strip. I am looking for shifting and race tips. Some questions I'd really like answered is what rpm should I launch at....what rpm should I shift at? I have a 10 rt 6 spd. It has stock good years on 20 in chrome clad wheels. Should I do burnout or drive around pit completely? If I do burnout how long should I do it for? Id really just like explained the best way to race but I know it takes practice which I've done but not at dragstrip before. Thanks from a newbie.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Your in for some fun man, launching a manual can be tricky. Most folks say launch about 2500, I have the hardest time holding it there, so I usually just tap the gas till the light goes. But ease off the clutch and smooth roll on the gas. Dont just drop the clutch and mash the gas cause you'll only spin. Shift just before the redline. Have fun! Good luck!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx

bump....... Thanks for the tips, so thats what Ill try launching at 2500 then easing into the gas and shift right before redline. but what about warming tires up? What do you guys do? do you drive around but then back up and light em up ( again i have stock tires on 20 inch chrome clad wheels.) or do you drive straight through and do it. Or do you not do one at all? I know its alot of questions and variables but to help me get some answers this is what I know

10 rt 6spd

its gonna be 55 out

stock tires

traction control off

Anything else I need advise I dont wanna go for first time and make an ass of myself. THANKS!!!

·
Registered
864 Posts
I always do a burnout at least to clean off the tires. Not a long one, usually just a 3-4 second burn, again easy off and on tue clutch. I try to avoid the water, but there's times you can't. Traction control off for the burnout and On for the launch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts