Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out what a reasonable run will be for me. I've made probably 200+ passes in various cars, but this will be the first in my Challenger. Car is a 2010 R/T Classic auto, approximately 7,000 miles so should be just about fully broken in. It doesn't have sunroof, but does have super track pack with the decently grippy F1s. It is bone stock and I plan to do the following:
  • remove spare tire
  • remove engine cover
  • run on 1/4 tank gas 93 grade
  • lower rear tires to 25 psi
  • raise front tires to 40 psi
  • considering adding red line water wetter to keep temperature down (??)
  • Mobil 1 5w20 synthetic oil
DA is probably going to be between 1,000 and 1,300... Oh yeah, I'm only 160 lbs, haven't weighed the car yet but I'm guessing race weight with me in it will be about 4,120.

I'm hoping for 13.5 @ 104 which will probably require a 1.9x 60'. And therein lies the Challenge... but since I'm an auto the race is essentially done after the first 60'!

Does that timeslip seem reasonable?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Race weight should be close to 4200 lbs. assuming the base weight is 4042 lb. Figure generally given for all RT's. I would run unleaded plus 89 octane. Fuel injected engine want the required octane the engine is designed to operate on. No more. No less. 13.5 @ 104 is certainly obtainable. 13.1 to 13.5 is the usual range an RT falls in. Some report that an RT can see high 12's with a DA close to zero. Since you are an experienced driver at the track, cutting a light shouldn't be a problem for you. The biggest issue will be traction.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Race weight should be close to 4200 lbs. assuming the base weight is 4042 lb. Figure generally given for all RT's. I would run unleaded plus 89 octane. Fuel injected engine want the required octane the engine is designed to operate on. No more. No less. 13.5 @ 104 is certainly obtainable. 13.1 to 13.5 is the usual range an RT falls in. Some report that an RT can see high 12's with a DA close to zero. Since you are an experienced driver at the track, cutting a light shouldn't be a problem for you. The biggest issue will be traction.
When I went back and recalculated I'm using 4,040 as my weight. Base weight (4,040) delete sunroof (-40), delete spare (-40), delete 3/4 tank gas (~-80)... then add 160 for me... it actually comes out to right back at 4,040!

If I could get a DA close to 0 I'd be shooting for high 12s! But given the circumstances I'd be happy with anything under a 13.5.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
track

I am not trying to hurt your feelings but I dont think those tire are gonna bite much, you say its completely stock, water wetter aint gonna do nothing, theres nothing wrong with running 13s, Man I would have giving my left nut for a 13 second car with AC and cruise control, I hope ya crack the 12s. I took my car sunday made 3 passes just the way I drive it on the street, drove in pulled into the stage lanes wife got out I went 13.74 came back could not miss the water in the burnout area and it spun and went 14.28 I think, let it cool down 45 minutes and went 13.70 it was 62 degrees here and I was real tickled, I just wanted a 13.99. good luck dude and let me know how ya do, I can e-mail ya the video of my runs if ya want ? I had a blast first time down a track in 28 years. :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not trying to hurt your feelings but I dont think those tire are gonna bite much, you say its completely stock, water wetter aint gonna do nothing, theres nothing wrong with running 13s, Man I would have giving my left nut for a 13 second car with AC and cruise control, I hope ya crack the 12s. I took my car sunday made 3 passes just the way I drive it on the street, drove in pulled into the stage lanes wife got out I went 13.74 came back could not miss the water in the burnout area and it spun and went 14.28 I think, let it cool down 45 minutes and went 13.70 it was 62 degrees here and I was real tickled, I just wanted a 13.99. good luck dude and let me know how ya do, I can e-mail ya the video of my runs if ya want ? I had a blast first time down a track in 28 years. :)
No worries, lol. Ironically, this trip will be the first time I've taken an auto down the track in more than 15 years (and I'm only 35). I've rowed the gears with 6 speeds during that time... I'm looking forward to having less drama with the launch - although I fully expect to get bored by the 330 ft mark, ha ha.

Btw, my theory on water wetter is solely to keep engine temps down because apparently the heat soak is pretty bad. I've got an hour plus drive to the track... I plan to let it sit for an hour or so to cool down. Also took the engine cover off to help things cool off quicker.

Tires won't bite like DRs thats for sure, but should do better than the RSAs!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Too many factors, but you could certainly run 13.20-50's. I wouldn't bother taken spare out and stuff. I have been 12.98 with the predator and catback only in mine on stock RSA's at 28lbs. The da was a tad over 600ft. That was rolling into the throttle. Sticky tires and 12.80's won't be an issue.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Too many factors, but you could certainly run 13.20-50's. I wouldn't bother taken spare out and stuff. I have been 12.98 with the predator and catback only in mine on stock RSA's at 28lbs. The da was a tad over 600ft. That was rolling into the throttle. Sticky tires and 12.80's won't be an issue.
Great times there man. You have an auto I assume? I'd be happy with a 13.49 and ecstatic with a 13.3x or less. When you say "roll into the throttle" do you power-brake it at the line? If so, what rpm? What about autostick, use "D" or put it in first and let the car shift itself?

·
Registered
251 Posts
My method is using autostick put it in 1st and let it shift itself. I don't even heat up the tires as it is a waste with these RSA's in my opinion.

I try to bring it up to about 1000-1200 on the line and when I leave, I just let of the brake and use a controlled motion tot he floor. No slam to the floor or there goes all traction. Using this method it still tries to bark them a couple times depending on the track prep.

I have some DR's but need to pick up some wheels. I am positive it can go 12.80s actually turning TC completly off and leaving hard instead of rolling the throttle.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My method is using autostick put it in 1st and let it shift itself. I don't even heat up the tires as it is a waste with these RSA's in my opinion.

I try to bring it up to about 1000-1200 on the line and when I leave, I just let of the brake and use a controlled motion tot he floor. No slam to the floor or there goes all traction. Using this method it still tries to bark them a couple times depending on the track prep.

I have some DR's but need to pick up some wheels. I am positive it can go 12.80s actually turning TC completly off and leaving hard instead of rolling the throttle.
Good deal, thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, made that trip last night, first 1/4 passes for my Challenger. Was only able to make 2... first one was the best:

13.42 @ 104.05, sixty foot time was 2.0391, DA 1,011

Bone stock R/T classic auto with 7,200 miles. I weighed the car, 3,955 pounds without me (spare and jack removed, engine cover removed). Supertrack pack, sound group II, no sunroof. Gas was at 1/8 tank.

Goodyear F1s, 24 psi, launch power brake at 1,500 rpms. Traction control full off.

Happy with the time, goal was 13.49 or better!

·
Registered
427 Posts
OK, made that trip last night, first 1/4 passes for my Challenger. Was only able to make 2... first one was the best:

13.42 @ 104.05, sixty foot time was 2.0391, DA 1,011

Bone stock R/T classic auto with 7,200 miles. I weighed the car, 3,955 pounds without me (spare and jack removed, engine cover removed). Supertrack pack, sound group II, no sunroof. Gas was at 1/8 tank.

Goodyear F1s, 24 psi, launch power brake at 1,500 rpms. Traction control full off.

Happy with the time, goal was 13.49 or better!
You ran the same as my wife's stock 10 Mustang GT auto that weighs 600 lbs less at [email protected], 2.1 60'

Have you tried launching at 2,000 rpms? Before my tune I could launch my SRT8 at 2,000 rpms then eaze into 1/2 pedal then floor it without wheel spin. Got a [email protected] 2.00 60' stock that way. I've never launched an R/T so I don't know how the tq compares to an SRT8 down low.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You ran the same as my wife's stock 10 Mustang GT auto that weighs 600 lbs less at [email protected], 2.1 60'

Have you tried launching at 2,000 rpms? Before my tune I could launch my SRT8 at 2,000 rpms then eaze into 1/2 pedal then floor it without wheel spin. Got a [email protected] 2.00 60' stock that way. I've never launched an R/T so I don't know how the tq compares to an SRT8 down low.
I was going to try that before some joker laid down coolant for 1,000 ft. Finally gave up and left because the clean up was taking so long... only got 2 runs in, but I was letting the car rest 45 minutes between runs... my mistake. I think a sub 2.0 60' is possible with the F1s, which would have translated into a 13.3 maybe even a high 13.2x. With better DA could translate into 13.1x on a bone stock R/T. Not too bad.

Btw, saw your pic, the other car in my sig is an '02 f-body.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts