Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, I have a 13' r/t+ 5.7 auto.
This is my first v8 coming from F/I 4 bangers.

I'll be ordering some long tube catless headers soon (finally get to put a "s" on header hahaha)
I'll Also buy a short ram intake and from what I've seen the diablo trinity tuner.

My question is do these 5.7's respond to 3in straight pipe with either 2 flow masters 40's or 10's?
Or is a X & or H pipe needed and is 2.5inch better suited for these motors?
I'm thinking catless also but maybe throw in some high flow cats.

The car is a daily just looking to get some more whp/tq out of it nothing crazy just a few simple bolt ons.
Just looking for advice on if a x,h,straight pipe exhaust 2.5 or 3in works best on these cars.

I'll be searching the forums also just figure I'd make a thread and ask too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thought I'd add I'll be doing intake and exhaust this week. Headers and tuner maybe in a month or 2

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I would say the 3" pipe won't help you unless you are planning on adding forced-induction.

The pipe size isn't really the enemy to good flow, so much as the muffler you choose. If you are going to upsize something, upsize the muffler (using coupler adapters to fit up to your stock pipe size), and preferably it should be a straight-thru flow design. If the exhaust has to bounce around on different paths or reverse direction (as in a multi-pass muffler) as it goes through the muffler, that will be a hit to flow that could have been.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would say the 3" pipe won't help you unless you are planning on adding forced-induction.

The pipe size isn't really the enemy to good flow, so much as the muffler you choose. If you are going to upsize something, upsize the muffler (using coupler adapters to fit up to your stock pipe size), and preferably it should be a straight-thru flow design. If the exhaust has to bounce around on different paths or reverse direction (as in a multi-pass muffler) as it goes through the muffler, that will be a hit to flow that could have been.
Thx for the reply,

If I do 2.5 in ill do all new piping from the cats to the tip using 2 flowmaster 40s or 10s
Or same way with 3in.

I can't get 100% answer if the rt exhaust is 2.25in or 2.5in

1,931 Posts
Your stock exhaust is 2.25"....I would not go more than 2.5" or you will lose low/mid torque..high flow cats will get you as much hp as no cats...which is about 1-3hp......If I were you I would install SRT OEM shorty headers and SRT OEM catted mids with whatever catback exhaust you like..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks guys for clearing up the exhaust size on oem.

What's y'all suggestion on straight pipe or x or h

I honestly was thing about srt shortys but I've seen some long tubes on ebay for like 5/600
Any of you guys think about them?

1,931 Posts
Thanks guys for clearing up the exhaust size on oem.

What's y'all suggestion on straight pipe or x or h

I honestly was thing about srt shortys but I've seen some long tubes on ebay for like 5/600
Any of you guys think about them?
I would be cautious about buying "cheap" headers. You do get what you pay for. Still at $500 for long tubes I would get the SRT shortys...not much difference in power and less headaches (CEL, clearance)..

I would get "X" or "H" over straight pipes. Lot of opinions of which is better but I would go with "X" as that seems to be what the newer hi-po cars have..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts