Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack - Frostbite
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow will mark my first week with the car.

I have to say, I was super excited to finally get my hands on it. The following week, however, with all the ash bombarding my apartment complex, my car is looking mighty unhealthy, and it's kind of been a drag. I have ash all over my headliner and my seats simply from getting in and out of the car. Nothing looks stained, but I'd like to avoid this.

Additionally, due to the massive amount of smoke and ash in the air, the area has significantly cooled by about 35 degrees in the mornings. Today was the first day with condensation on my car. I'm worried the ash will turn acidic and do things to my paint.

Tomorrow, I'll be going to a wash garage; the ones with a nozzle for hand washing, and that put you in a brick box.

I intend to take a healthy study of the Detailing Library sticky in the forum.

In the meantime, can anyone recommend anything I might need for this first wash (considering the circumstances), just while I'm waiting to perhaps get some more quality products?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack - Frostbite
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rinse rinse rinse. I vacuumed under the hood too. Then it was covered after parking. Smoky here in San Jose too.
Any particular soaps or chemicals you're fond of for cleaning? Again, just as a basic first wash. Once I have a bit more time for research, I'll be getting a whole slew of whatever is necessary to keep this car in show-floor condition for my photo shoots and videos.

·
Premium Member
4,794 Posts
Try a Foam Cannon to speed things up. All kinds of those, and other car cleaning products, can be found on Amazon.
I use Sonax Wheel Cleaner on the wheels. Stay away from the cheap, caustic cleaners from your local auto parts store. The Armor All wheel cleaner screwed up the paint on my Envy wheels.
Check out a Daytona Speed Wheel brush. Makes it easy to clean the inside of the wheel.

Everyone's got a favorite brand, most work just fine for washing the car.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Check out Adamspolishes.com great products but most of all helpful videos for all cleaning!

Always be sure your products are PH balanced.

Congrats on the new ride!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Challenger shaker 392 scat pack.
49 Posts
Ya it’s pretty gross in southern Ca. My wife’s scat pack is black. It looks like a dirty ash tray lol. Mine is triple nickel silver so it’s only bad looking when standing up close, but it’s everywhere and doesn’t really even fly off going fast on the freeway.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
505 Posts
Tomorrow will mark my first week with the car.....
Because the last thing you need is a suggestion to spend more money, LOL! That said... I have been pretty happy with the ceramic coating on my new Scat. Certainly not a cheap add-on, and it needs to be done professionally. Your car is new enough that now would be the right time. We waited six months on my wife's Grand Cherokee and they had to do a lot of buffing to get the spots off it before applying the coating.

Only thing I have done to mine is spritz it with some Mother's Instant Detail spray (previously called Showtime) and then wiped with a clean microfiber towel. I bought a case of microfiber towels from raglady.com, that way I am not afraid to switch them out when they get dirty.

I am in NW Oregon, and the smoke has been so bad that I cannot see the trees a couple hundred yards away. Even with the car in the garage, it got a coating of crap in it from the air. Literally wiped it down to spotless in about 90 seconds.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Scat Pack
46 Posts
I just picked up a Scat Pack in Frostbite, live in CA, and about to perform my first wash as well.

As a recent transplant to CA I’m not familiar with ash and associated paint damage but I’ll apply a quick spray wax while I wait for my Autogeek order. My old school favorite back East was Collinite paste wax for protection from salt but that product actually seems to attract dust.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,425 Posts
When I lived in Livermore CA even without the fires my car parked under a carport got pretty dusty. I would visit a DIY car wash and hit the car all over with the wand setting set to "soap" to loosen the dust/dirt, then follow with the wand set to "rinse" then finish up using the "no spot rinse" setting.

Rarely would I use the brush.

For ashes you probably want to at least rinse the no spot rinse the car often to keep the ash build up down and to reduce the amount of stuff on the car that can combine with any condensation that forms on the car to form acid.

Really lots and lots of water.

When you can bucket wash get a soap specially intended for use on cars which won't remove the wax.

Regardless of how you wash the car after you finish arrange to drive the car and make it a point to use the brakes often enough to get them hot enough to thoroughly dry them. With other cars I'd just lightly apply the brakes as I drove down the road. I did this with the Helcat but I vaguely remember either the CEL came on or some warning appeared. It went away on its own after I released the brake pedal and just drove the car normally.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,076 Posts
When my car is clean, but just dusty, I only touch it to detail after wash/remove water from rear. I just rinse, then foam and let the foam dwell for a while, then rinse and dry (easy way is take on freeway for a bit, get it up to 70 or so). Today the ash was thick, and just blowing got 75% of it off. With the bad air, and expectation of more ash for a few days, I didn't wash for a change. Will wash next weekend if the conditions improve

A Guy

Reactions: Dennis H
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.