Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious what some of you long term owners think. Other than the standard rocker panel crack, and another trim piece cracked when I bought it, the build quality on this car seems equal to my wife's Lexus.

Granted her RX is an '04 model, but I don't agree with some of the reviews on interior cheapness. Control knobs, the leather seats, console, they all seem well made and fit well.

I'm interested in other opinions, and also how folks with '09's and a couple years under their belts see their cars holding up.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Mine's almost two years old and has fantastic fit and finish for the most part. There are a couple of areas like the head liner that could be better, but over all I'm very happy with it. Quiet ride, no rattles or creaks, comfortable as a lazy boy, and looks fantastic.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don't have a lot of faith in my car. The car is at 14K miles and the transmission has already had to be repaired, cracked window molding, catalytic converter replaced, sun visor replaced (light went out), and im sure more will come. This is just 1 year of ownership.

Reactions: BdChallenger

·
Registered
75 Posts
fit and finish

have 2010 R/T CLASSIC ,,, BOUGHT IN OCT 09,,, absolutely perfect inside and out... after 15 months of ownership been back to dealer once and that was for a cracked lower molding ...love this car ... best so far and I have had them all,,,new car every year for the last 12 years...caliberay

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
This is my first new car, and the fit and finish are better than any other car i've ever owned. I did however change the interior within weeks after getting it so the fit inside is only better inside because i put quality components there to start with. The exterior, paint, panel fit, no squeeks or rattles, all components work as expected and have not failed, all better than other cars that were almost new when i bought them. It is as good as my 1991 dodge stealth which was really a mitsubishi. Will it last 9 years of daily driving? who knows, but at least it will have a warranty for 3 years and the drivetrain will be covered for 100k or somewhere near. After that I really don't expect it to last forever without any issues, i just hope it lasts close to it. And i'll be pleased. I hope to be able to keep the car a long time, I do not expect it to last forever, but if i take care of it, it should last as long as the other cars i've owned, some of which have stuck around for over 20 years. (2)

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I have had my car 23 months and 22k miles as a daily driver. I have had a few issues with it... squeak at the headliner(fixed), cracked rocker panel(fixed), gas tank full but registering 3/4s full (replaced), sunroof stuck open (motor replaced), passengers side dash dip, once in a great while during acceleration you can feel the transmission shift abruptly and a few other small issues. All in all I love this car but I wonder what other things will go wrong over the coming years of ownership.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had my car 23 months and 22k miles as a daily driver. I have had a few issues with it... squeak at the headliner(fixed), cracked rocker panel(fixed), gas tank full but registering 3/4s full (replaced), sunroof stuck open (motor replaced), passengers side dash dip, once in a great while during acceleration you can feel the transmission shift abruptly and a few other small issues. All in all I love this car but I wonder what other things will go wrong over the coming years of ownership.
Have to admit, if I have this many problems I am going to be VERY disappointed with this car. Good luck and hopefully a trouble free future with yours.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Very pleased thus far with the quality - I've only got 9000 miles on her though. She's been garage queening hard for the last two months

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have been in the new car dealer business for 32 years, 26 of those years with Toyota.

In my opinion the current Challenger is easily on par with Toyota vehicles manufactured in North America. I Think Toyota vehicles manufactured in Japan have an advantage but that is largely due to higher-quality components, as opposed to the actual assembly of the completed vehicle.

All you need to do is look at a Mexican-built wiring harness versus a Japaese-built harness and the difference jumps out at you big time.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
The challenger is the only thing that brought me back to dodge/chrysler
pleasantly surprised by quality of my car. no significant issues in the first 16,000+ miles

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
To be honest, this car has had a lot of cosmetic issues, and mechanical that my 07 TRD Fj Cruiser never had...even @ 45k, and my Challenger only has 10k...07 FJ's were all built in Japan, unlike the new ones, the quality is superb

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interesting reading some of these post. I am on the fence on buying a Challenger. I have an 03 Honda Accord and I'll tell you the interior looks more modern than the Challenger. I have looked at the Camaro and I think the design is so much better in the Camaro interior. Years ago I was shopping for a family car and looked into the Charger. The build quality had me running the other way. I love the Challenger and the way it looks but maybe I'm better off getting a classic one. I love those old cars.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Interesting reading some of these post. I am on the fence on buying a Challenger. I have an 03 Honda Accord and I'll tell you the interior looks more modern than the Challenger. I have looked at the Camaro and I think the design is so much better in the Camaro interior. Years ago I was shopping for a family car and looked into the Charger. The build quality had me running the other way. I love the Challenger and the way it looks but maybe I'm better off getting a classic one. I love those old cars.
Don't get an old Challenger. Trust me, you will love the modern version, they are amazing.

I only had my 09 2 years, and only 5500 miles, but it was perfect. No problems or issues, never visited the dealer.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The Challenger was never really designed to compete with the import brands in terms of refinement and fit and finish. However the closest thing the Challenger has to a Japanese rival is the Lexus IS-F. The Lexus is more than $15K more than a fully optioned out Challenger SRT-8 with negligible performance advantage.

They are both great cars, is the Lexus better...yes it is...I don't care what the mullet brigade has to say. However is it worth the price premium..hell no..take the adaptive cruise control and shove.

The great thing about the Challenger is that its powertrain is tested. The Modern Hemi has been around almost a decade and has proven to be incredibly reliable in Vehicles that weigh 30-40% more than the Challenger. Tremec is up there with ZF in making the best gearboxes around and Getrag rear diffs are..nevermind they suck...but the Lexus has one too lol!

·
Registered
334 Posts

You might wan't to take a look at the Dodge Charger this year...I think you will change your mind. It will blow your Honda's interior away...and maybe a few Audi's too!

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
My daily driver is a Mercedes E class and the fit and finish of the Challenger is just as good as that car.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Would you sacrafice comfort for interior fancyness? The seats and the sheer space in the Challenger lets you know you're in a big car, being inside the Camaro makes you feel like your in a small car...look at the windshield...and the windows....crash = better have the jaws of life to get you out! Then again the Camaro was designed by a korean, so that explains it's tiny interior and unusable rear seats and tiny everything else (glass).

If your talking about a daily driver...then lol at getting a OLD school Challenger, I don't think you'd want that as a DD these days...a expensive item to wear down, and a good restored 70's will cost upwards of 75k+, so if you can afford that just get a SRT-8, or if you're really used to your four-door accord, just get the new Charger, it'll have more space and feel like your accord on PCP

I should mention my complaints prior, are mainly related to me buying a 08 that was garaged and hardly driven, so it had never been taken for RRTS etc, so I had to do that and since I had a first year I had the grill blister and trim problems, etc, the only odd-ball one was my insanely loud fuel pumps which they replaced

I'll tell you this much, even with the problems I've had with the Challenger I wouldn't give it up for a Camaro or a Mustang, the rock-star status on how much this car stands out is incredible, there's simply nothing that looks as good to me in the price range for what you get, and Mustangs and Camaros are a dime a dozen everywhere, I prefer to stand out rather than blend into the sea of cars...life's too short to be an extra.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Well I worked new car prep for a Chrysler Plymouth dealer in the 70's so nothing phases me. That being said the initial fit and finish of my 09 R/T was not good at all. We had to adjust the left front fender to both hood and door, the hood was misaligned as was the trunk lid. There is a small crease in the roof on the right side. Barely noticeable but there. Paint was so so. On my second set of rocker panels, the molding at the top of the door panel just split and I have the fraying headliner but I fixed that. Lights flicker, car idles down to 500 and then surges to 700 ( dealer cant find an issue ) and a few other minor things.

That being said I still like the car. I had set low expectations for it to start with so it has actually exceeded my expectations. heck it feels just like the build quality of the Challenger of old!

Here is quality for you. Buudy bought a SRT 8 and here is the fit of the hood on both sides right off the trailer...the hood actually hit the fender on the left and on the right the fender had to be shimmed up and they never could get the fender to door gap right. Oh yes forgot..mine has that problem on the right side as well....quality stuff!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
While I LOVE my Challenger I am not blinded it by it either.

There are panel alignment issues on the vast majority of them. I have it slightly on my driver's side door. Never thought it was dire enough to have it fixed. Also...the center bar of the rear taillights...I almost never seem them line up straight...again, havent bothered to do anything about it.

And the sheet metal is is thin. I have that wavy effect on my rear driver side quarter panel. Right near the rear bumper.

The paint is also very thin.

I feel like the interior is very well put together. Solid.

Mechanically, the car has been sound. I did have to have the dash replaced because of an electrical short, but its been top notch ever since. I do only have 6000 miles on the car after a year...but it makes me so happy to drive every time I start her up.

Now...as stated before, Japanese car built IN Japan have much better build quality including that of their US counterparts. Especially Japanese cars from the late 80s/early mid ninties. I had a 89 accord, 89 prelude, 95 pathfinder...they were all SOLID bulletproof vehicles. Sadly, two were wrecked before their time and the pathfinder I just sold with 215k on the odo...bought it with 167k knowing it was just a solid truck. Japanese factories, much because of their culture, have higher standards than the domestic factories. And that is not to say the US counterparts are bad by any stretch...but they are not as bulletproof as you will, and tend to have more issues (my acura was US built and was the last honda I owned.) My wifes 2000 civic.....bulletproof. My daily driver is now a 2010 Prius...very thin metal in the doors, that you can hear when you close them...but its a solid little car.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts