Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 SRT392 with the stock oil/water oil cooler/heat exchanger fitted.

I'm switching to the Hellcat style oil cooler take-off, and running a setrab air-cooled heat exchanger (with thermostatic bypass)

As I understand it, to completely delete the factory oil/water cooler I'll need to either bung, loop or replace one or two of the factory coolant hoses with the Hellcat equivalent parts.

Does anyone have the part numbers/ pictures of the ones I need to swap out please?

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT 392
304 Posts
Subbed I am interested in this swap. Please once complete do a write up of the work and some pics that would be awesome.

Slightly off topic but what about running the factory oil cooler on the SRT 392 and adding the Hellcat oil cooler?

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,904 Posts
I have a 2015 SRT392 with the stock oil/water oil cooler/heat exchanger fitted.

I'm switching to the Hellcat style oil cooler take-off, and running a setrab air-cooled heat exchanger (with thermostatic bypass)

As I understand it, to completely delete the factory oil/water cooler I'll need to either bung, loop or replace one or two of the factory coolant hoses with the Hellcat equivalent parts.

Does anyone have the part numbers/ pictures of the ones I need to swap out please?
Why?

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT 392
304 Posts
What about taking advantage of both oil coolers?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about taking advantage of both oil coolers?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I did consider this, but two main reasons swayed me against it:

Installation - the Hellcat oil filter mount replaces the stock oil/water cooler, so it's an either/or thing. I could have used a regular sandwich plate take-off stacked on top of the stock item but that's likely to make space tighter and has more opportunities for leaks. I was also quite keen to use a stock part where possible.

Operation - be separating the oil and water cooling systems I can monitor temperatures and see if either one needs additional capacity, and then address that particular need.

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
605 Posts
So you want to remove the Pursuit/392 oil-to-water cooler and replace it with the Hellcat sandwich adapter to run lines to an auxiliuary oil-to-air cooler. I'll add what I know from my experience with my Joelvan dual-pass radiator (which nixed the 392/Police Oil Cooler option) and my LXForums Frankencooler setup (Earl's oil & trans O2A coolers and Improved Racing's adapter plate & remote oil filter mount w/ thermostat).

The 392 should be running the Severe Duty II radiator with 1.7" inlet/outlets (vs. the 1.5" of R/Ts) and in that case the single-piece/non-T'd 6.1L lower hose would work along with a 5.7L thermostat housing (without the nipple for the cooler connection). I'm not familiar with Hellcat parts to know what specifically may work with it.

Now the stock oil cooler was controlled by the coolant t-stat (no flow past the t-stat then no flow diverted down to the oil cooler), so you'll definitely need to plumb in an inline thermostat. Look at the products from Improved Racing - very high quality and great customer service. Plus, they have the most options (3-5) for t-stat stabilization temps (most other offerings are only 180F). I went with a 205F t-stat which opens up at 200F and is fully open at 220F. That way my engine oil is getting warm enough to boil off any water at that magical 212F mark.

Reactions: Dex
1 - 10 of 10 Posts