Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fixing the trunk light. The bulb in my trunk light is good and none of that stuff has ever been touched by me I was wondering what I am missing the bulb is good, the fuse I believe should be good I’m not sure exactly which fuse it is but I can check that again, but I am sure when it quit working six months ago I know I would’ve found and checked that fuse so what am I missing it cannot be that hard to make the trunk light work again. Someone please help me

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
It's the trunk latch assembly believe it or not, brand spanking new or many years old it's the same fail and fix..here ya go: there's a copper contact strip in there that is not making sufficient contact (actually insufficient side pressure) with the other part of it, the good news is you can fix it yourself...take it off the car (2 bolts) you'll need a 90 degree pick awl and a multimeter with it set on tone, first off you have to keep playing with the assembly till you can get your eyes to get a good look down in it while using some sort of bright light, once you see the contact strip take your pick with the 90 side and keep trying to bend it so it can re-gain tension against its mating contact, after many attempts check for continuity with it set on tone, keep repeating this until your satisfied with a consistent tone when you click the lock and pull the release repeatedly to keep re-checking it.. Or you can dump $140 on a new one that you may or may not have to do anyway down the road, once you get the jist of what you're actually doing its cake..hope this helps? you asked, I told

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This post is to Trimec who replied to my text about the trunk light question. Where exactly are those contacts strips? because the only time I want the light to come on is when the trunk or the deck is open when the trunk is open. So they would almost have to be on the hinges or somewhere like that to make contact correct? So my question is where are the contacts strips that are not making the proper connection?

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
There was a recent thread where a member with a 2013 RT had all sorts of weird things going on with his key fob until he noticed his trunk light was not working. Apparently it powers a couple of other modules. Anyways, if you have a pre-2015 challenger the fuse is #38 in the trunk. On +2015 models I think it is fuse #7 or 8 but it looks like it is fed directly from the BCM. See pdf for diagnostic procedure.
https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f188/weird-key-fob-issue-bonus-other-weird-issue-671721/?671721=#post8486055

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Trimec
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing