Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on the flappy gear box (paddle shifter)on the automatic Challengers? I drove a Rallye Redline with them and loved them. I saw the R/T has them in certain models. I was just wondering real world opinions on the semi automatic set up.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Positives: paddles look cool, net you faster and smoother shifts than the stick and allow you to keep both hands on the wheel.

Negatives: paddles are not retro (if that matters to you), you can get your fingers caught in them at the wrong moment (emergency corrections), you can't shift during hard turns (forget it on mountain roads), they can make you hesitate between them or the stick (double duty) and you can easily bump-shift involuntarily (usually during low-speed maneuvers so it's no big deal, but still).

I was opposed to them in the beginning, especially for only 5 speeds and because I don't like gadgets, but the operation is flawless and with practice there's not that much confusion anymore. I spend a lot of time on the freeways and that's where they really shine (straight line).
But frankly... I drove a Charger for 2 years and I loved the stick. It was never a problem even while powersliding and I think that the paddles are just a well executed gimmick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts