Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I am a new member to this forum, but have been reading the posts for over a year.

I recently got my hands on a very gently used flowmaster thunder series exhaust system from a same year R/T car. Over the weekend I finally got around to installing the system. I had to do some welding on the system to complete the install, so like I have always done when welding on a car, I disconnected the battery and welded what I needed to. The exhaust sounds great, no complaints !

Now, I noticed when I start the car up the rear defroster indicator light flashes for around a minute or two then goes out. I was hoping someone else here has an answer to why this is happening and even better, a solution to this irritating problem. No other lights or indicators are flashing.

The car is a 2010. Thanks in advance for any help. -Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update:

I searched everywhere on the internet and found others with the same problem, but no solution. There is no way to calibrate the hvac in a challenger without a CAN scan tool.
I had the car at the dealer this morning and had it diagnosed. The flashing defroster light is indeed the hvac calibrating the vent blend door. The reason it has to calibrate each time the car is started is the actuator for the blend door is malfunctioning and gives bad data back to the hvac controls, therefore causing the controls to recalibrate the door on each start up. Just wanted to report back to give a heads up to anyone else who may experience this issue.
On another note, I bought my car used, 1 year old, 11,000 KM on it. I knew it had a powertrain warranty, when the dealer input the VIN they told me the previous owner had purchased a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty with car and simply transferred the remaining warranty over to me ! The fix is not going to cost me dime out my pocket ! :D

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
Blinking Defrost Light Possible Fix

I had the blinking defrost light issue a while back, and I couldn't find much info on it or how to fix it, so I just lived with it until it eventually went away. It was during the summer though, and every second I would sit in the car waiting for A/C to kick in after it had been baking in the Texas summer sun was shear torture...so I made a mental note of it for sure!

Fast forward to two days ago, and it happened again. The only thing I had done prior to that was briefly unhook the battery (just like I've done a thousand times before though), but I did notice that while it was blinking, the climate controls were not at their default/off positions like I usually put them to when parking the car - blower: off, temperature: blue dot, and blend: notch above auto (upper vent?).

So as a shot in the dark, I turned all the knobs to their default/off positions described above, unhooked the battery again, reconnected it after a bit, and then started the car to test my theory.

SUCCESS!!

No more blinking defrost light; the climate control was back to instantly responding to any changes I made to the knobs right after I start the car. WOOHOO!!! :blueblob:

I guess it is some kind of calibration issue...so if you have this happen to you, before you take into the dealership to have them perform their magic, try disconnecting negative battery cable, setting climate control knobs to default/off positions, and reconnecting battery cable...and if it works, you owe me a beer.

Nuke

·
Registered
11 Posts
Holy crap!!! About to go on a road trip to Atlanta in a day and I just found your fix for what my car was doing. Where is it I send the beer?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
bumping an old thread, This works on all variants. In my case a 2010 RT. Had to replace my battery and did not put climate controls in their default position.

Set the following for 2008-2010s

Fan to off
Temp Red/Blue to middle (12 oclock position)
Vents to upper (12 oclock position) - This one is key

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know this is a old post but thought I would add to it. Took my 2014 in for a recall notice, they had to disconnect the battery to do the work. When I got my car back the rear defroster light flashed. I tried the reset that was posted and it did not work plus I lost my heater. Had to take it back to the dealership that did the work. They won’t admit it but I think the fried the vent actuator and now I am waiting for them to replace it. So far no charge to me. If you take your challenger in for work make sure the environmental controls are turned off.

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
I know this is a old post but thought I would add to it. Took my 2014 in for a recall notice, they had to disconnect the battery to do the work. When I got my car back the rear defroster light flashed. I tried the reset that was posted and it did not work plus I lost my heater. Had to take it back to the dealership that did the work. They won’t admit it but I think the fried the vent actuator and now I am waiting for them to replace it. So far no charge to me. If you take your challenger in for work make sure the environmental controls are turned off.
When you say you lost your heater, was it not blowing hot anymore, or was it still blowing hot but just not out of the lower/floor vents?

If it was still blowing hot but wouldn't redirect to floor vents, then it sounds like the blend door actuator went teets up, but if it wasn't even blowing hot anymore, there was something else wrong with it I'm guessing.

Either way, not sure how they messed anything up doing the recall. If it was an airbag recall, they should've been able to get that done in short order without disassembling the whole dash. But who knows, maybe the tech was doing exploratory surgery and accidentally left a pair of pliers in his patient when he sewed it back up :wink3:

·
Super Moderator
14,703 Posts
Your temperature actuator also has an electric motor - similar to how the vent actuator has an electric motor / actuator

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger
11 Posts
Maybe a fix

I took my 2014 Challenger R/T in for the alternator recall and when I got the car back I had the problem with the defroster light blinking, so I took it back to the dealer.

I was told by the dealer that the recirculation door had a malfunction. I found out where the actuator was and took the screws out that held it in and found no problem with unit. I had the actuator in my hand still wired up and turned on the car and activated the system to see if there was a problem with it or the flapper, found none, and made sure that the unit ran through a few cycles turning the switch on and off to set it so I knew where the flapper should be and reinstalled the actuator. Then with the ignition off I pulled the 2 fuses that operate the climate control system and made sure the switches were in the above settings (blower- off, blend and mode in the 12 o'clock position) and reinstalled the fuses. When I started the car, I did not touch any controls until the Climate Control went through it’s diagnostics by flashing the rear defrost light until it went out on its own, then I set the control knobs where I wanted them and the blinking light has not come back but I’ll keep an eye out for it. Maybe this helps someone, I don't know if it works on all the Challengers or not but it worked for me so far and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2014 Challenger
2 Posts
When you say you lost your heater, was it not blowing hot anymore, or was it still blowing hot but just not out of the lower/floor vents?

If it was still blowing hot but wouldn't redirect to floor vents, then it sounds like the blend door actuator went teets up, but if it wasn't even blowing hot anymore, there was something else wrong with it I'm guessing.

Either way, not sure how they messed anything up doing the recall. If it was an airbag recall, they should've been able to get that done in short order without disassembling the whole dash. But who knows, maybe the tech was doing exploratory surgery and accidentally left a pair of pliers in his patient when he sewed it back up :wink3:
tried the resets. No Luck. Finally took the Challenger into the dealer. The scanned the codes and found a faulty recirculation door actuator. Replaced it and all is good! Part Number 68299450AA. Part Price was $56.48. Labor was a little stiff....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay I been having problems with my 2010 Dodge Challenger RT. First she wouldn't keep a charge replaced the alternator and battery. Then took it to a dealership they replaced several modules off the bus including the ABS module and replace my powertrain control and did my air bag recall. Noticed my rear defrost was blinking and took a bit for my air conditioning to kick on. Probably had her back for a hour and she's completely drained again. I'm completely broke now. So my question is this on me or the dealership? Also what could it be?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the blinking defrost light issue a while back, and I couldn't find much info on it or how to fix it, so I just lived with it until it eventually went away. It was during the summer though, and every second I would sit in the car waiting for A/C to kick in after it had been baking in the Texas summer sun was shear torture...so I made a mental note of it for sure!

Fast forward to two days ago, and it happened again. The only thing I had done prior to that was briefly unhook the battery (just like I've done a thousand times before though), but I did notice that while it was blinking, the climate controls were not at their default/off positions like I usually put them to when parking the car - blower: off, temperature: blue dot, and blend: notch above auto (upper vent?).

So as a shot in the dark, I turned all the knobs to their default/off positions described above, unhooked the battery again, reconnected it after a bit, and then started the car to test my theory.

SUCCESS!!

No more blinking defrost light; the climate control was back to instantly responding to any changes I made to the knobs right after I start the car. WOOHOO!!! :blueblob:

I guess it is some kind of calibration issue...so if you have this happen to you, before you take into the dealership to have them perform their magic, try disconnecting negative battery cable, setting climate control knobs to default/off positions, and reconnecting battery cable...and if it works, you owe me a beer.

Nuke

You sir just saved me a trip to the cesspit that is my local Dodge Dealership and Service Center. THANK YOU!!! Tried this last night and it fixed my girl right up. She is no longer confused about life :grin2: Merry Christmas!!

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
You're welcome @texasangel24, I am glad I could help.

It still amazes me that the post you quoted from me is still getting found by searches, applied to malfunctions, and still fixing them like it did for me several years back. I guess some things don't change much, and that can be a good thing!

·
Registered
29 Posts
You're welcome @texasangel24, I am glad I could help.

It still amazes me that the post you quoted from me is still getting found by searches, applied to malfunctions, and still fixing them like it did for me several years back. I guess some things don't change much, and that can be a good thing!
Oh my goodness! I didnt even realize that post was from 5 years ago! wow that is fantastic :lol: I did quite a bit of digging before I stumbled across this one, but I'm sure glad I did. My car is a 12, so thankfully I would've been before any changes anyways :wiggle:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Blinking Defrost Light Possible Fix

SUCCESS!!

Nuke

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger
11 Posts
Well it happened again, I went to the Dodge dealer to get the latest recall for the airbags taken care of. When I dropped my Challenger off I put the climate control in default mode hoping to stave of the "Blinking Light Gremlin" to no avail. When they finished and brought my car out I didn't notice any problem. I went from the dealer to get gas about 4 miles away. When I started the engine after filling the tank what drew my eyes was the dam blinking rear defrost light, so I drove straight back to the dealer and told them of the problem. They took my car inside and swore they had no problem code except a "fob battery low" code. When the mechanic brought my car back out he left it running and the "Recirculate, AC and Rear Defroster" lights were on and the fan and temp and mode knobs were moved. when I left the dealer it was with the agreement that if it came up the next day they would look at it. I don't think that I need to tell you what happened the next morning. Yep that dammed light was blinking for 2 minutes before the heater would work. I shut off the engine and locked the car and ran a few errands that had been scheduled. When I got home I opened the garage and started the engine and, guess what, Yep the dam light was blinking again.

I took the car back to the dealer and they said they were so booked they couldn't get it in.They wanted me to make an appointment to get something they screwed up straightened out. So I told them thanks but no thanks. I went to my car right in front of their showroom. I opened the trunk and pulled a couple of particular fuses out. After about 5 minutes I put the HVAC controls in the default positions and then put the fuses right back in their respective positions and started the engine. In case you haven't figured it out already guess what, NO DAMMED BLINKING LIGHT. If it comes back I'll let you know but the last time it happened, April of 2018, and I figured out the fix it had never come back, but I do use a battery tender when it sits. I know one thing if I get another recall notice from FCA they can put it where the sun doesn't shine. They are not getting my car to fix. I'll pull all the computer controls out of it and drop a 426 Hemi in and wire the car the way it should be wired. I love the car just not all the crap they don't want us to work on anyway. It wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last car I've built from the ground up. Thanks for letting me blow off some steam. I think the next letter is going to be to the Chrysler Corporation. If word about the way things are handled by their service centers gets out, maybe then they'll do something about these problems. I'm not holding my breath.

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
Glad you got it back to working, despite their inability/indifference to do it for you.

(y)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts