Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped out my Scat Pack steering wheel for the hellcat steering wheel a while ago. I absolutely love the feel of it and for me it was a worthy upgrade. The only thing that I really do not like about it is the flat bottom plastic feel that the SRT steering wheel (at least the one from 2016) provides. You have that nice leather feel and then when you turn, you feel the plastic of the bottom. It takes me out of the experience, lol.
I was wondering if anybody feels the same about it and whether any solution has been found to somehow wrap it in either carbon fiber wrap or even leather to make it feel more like the rest of the steering wheel.

Thanks
-Tim

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,657 Posts
Posted this in a similar thread, not sure if universal will fit

Wheelskins does custom work

A Guy

Reactions: sctm81

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Posted this in a similar thread, not sure if universal will fit

Wheelskins does custom work

A Guy
Thanks for the tip. Ideally it would only be something for the flat bottom part and leave the rest as is.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,985 Posts
Do it yourself. Get some fabric, and stitch it on.

Reactions: sctm81

·
Registered
538 Posts
I agree with you completely. I even bought an earlier model round wheel to replace it, but the tech says it won't fit.
Now I'm thinking of removeing the bottom piece and spraying it with some type of black rubber.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with you completely. I even bought an earlier model round wheel to replace it, but the tech says it won't fit.
Now I'm thinking of removing the bottom piece and spraying it with some type of black rubber.
Yeah, it really sucks cause the steering wheel feels really expensive and then all of a sudden you feel cheap plastic. Even worse is when you are using the heating option and then all or a sudden there's the cold plastic bottom.
Let me know if you try that out and how it turns out for you!

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
never drove my car using the flat part of the steering wheel.
thought that was for fat guys to get in the car and not steer using there belly. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
never drove my car using the flat part of the steering wheel.
thought that was for fat guys to get in the car and not steer using there belly. :ROFLMAO:
I must be super picky, lol. But you still have to touch it when you are turning at an intersection. And sometimes on a long freeway drive my hand just wants to rest at the bottom of the wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
I never touch it almost any time when I'm driving [ plastic part]
Hands at 10/2 or 9/3 position.
I can see that part being left uncovered for some slob eating and driving getting catsup on the steering wheel.
But also now getting a good look at the steering wheel in my HellCat, yeh it would have been nice if the leather went all the way around.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never touch it almost any time when I'm driving [ plastic part]
Hands at 10/2 or 9/3 position.
I can see that part being left uncovered for some slob eating and driving getting catsup on the steering wheel.
But also now getting a good look at the steering wheel in my HellCat, yeh it would have been nice if the leather went all the way around.
I mean it looks kinda cool with the flat bottom uncovered, racing style and all, but it just feels cheap when you touch it, unfortunately. Different story if it was aluminum or magnesium but it's plastic and feels accordingly. But otherwise it is really a great steering wheel. Not a suuuper big deal, but I would gladly fix it if there was a reasonable (i.e. affordable) solution to this.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,657 Posts
In non plague times, I'd say find a well respected car upholstery place, and see what they can stitch up for you

A Guy

Reactions: 2015SXT
1 - 11 of 11 Posts