Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack; 2018 SXT
87 Posts
Supposedly it's more sporty/track oriented? Someone else can chip in here, but I always thought flat bottom wheels came in race cars to help with clearance for legs... If that is the case, it's def not needed in a challenger! But I guess it's more aesthetics nowadays, just like the carbon fiber craze

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,422 Posts
Shuffle driving from the bottom of the wheel is well proven to be faster method of driving, especially at the upper ends of threshold. This technique is taught not only in racing, but also in EVOC courses for decades.
The flat bottom wheel gives more precise orientation of the wheel & its location, by feel and the hands when using this technique of driving, rest & shuffle better with a flat bottom wheel.
The original reason however, was for race applications, such as F1, Indy series, etc. which are very very cramped inside and driver may have a more reclined postition. It has little to do with getting in & out (since thier wheels detatch for driver entry) but once seated, they help clear the knees/legs.
Does dodge need it on challenger/charger, or other manf on street cars? prob not, as most people dont even know of bottom shuffle steering, let alone how to use it.

Reactions: moparnoother

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Shuffle driving from the bottom of the wheel is well proven to be faster method of driving, especially at the upper ends of threshold. This technique is taught not only in racing, but also in EVOC courses for decades.
The flat bottom wheel gives more precise orientation of the wheel & its location, by feel and the hands when using this technique of driving, rest & shuffle better with a flat bottom wheel.
The original reason however, was for race applications, such as F1, Indy series, etc. which are very very cramped inside and driver may have a more reclined postition. It has little to do with getting in & out (since thier wheels detatch for driver entry) but once seated, they help clear the knees/legs.
Does dodge need it on challenger/charger, or other manf on street cars? prob not, as most people dont even know of bottom shuffle steering, let alone how to use it.
Wow. Just saying. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pack A8
226 Posts
Wow. Just saying. Lol

Its true, in all my EVOC training (was a cop for a while, years back) they always taught the shuffle method, especially now with airbag equipped vehicles. If you've ever had an airbag deploy and break your arm (mine was my wrist) you'll never cross over your steering wheel again!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,106 Posts
For performance driving, believe it or not, it let's the driver know if the wheels are straight or not. Easier ingress/egress,. Leg clearance for tight spaces without a smaller wheel

A Guy

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Its true, in all my EVOC training (was a cop for a while, years back) they always taught the shuffle method, especially now with airbag equipped vehicles. If you've ever had an airbag deploy and break your arm (mine was my wrist) you'll never cross over your steering wheel again!
O I believe it i was saying wow to a really nice reply.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I like the flat bottom steering wheels because of leg clearance. My wife's Cadillac CTS has the round wheel, I have to raise and lower every time i get in and out.
I'm not even a fat guy with chunky legs.

·
Registered
2020 F8 Scat Pack 392 6 Speed Stick
376 Posts
Hi,

Some interesting information.

I personally just thought it was a fat man wheel, like you could get in early model A Fords, as though I need it, not.

Came on my Scat Pack with the Dynamic package, otherwise I would have rather had a round one, as it does some getting used to rolling your hand over it.

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great answer, thanks. I do drive from the bottom of the steering most of the time but there's so much room in a challenger cockpit the flat bottom wheel seems totally unnecessary. The only time I use the top of the wheel is if I'm using the paddle shifters.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,106 Posts
Lol, 1st thing I thought of when I saw this thread Al...Great minds think alike...

You and I too :p

A Guy

Reactions: Al A
1 - 17 of 17 Posts