Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT350
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pondering a possible future order of a T/A 392 model in the future.
My brain is afraid of how easy the black is prone to scuffs and scratches.
I've had a few matte black motorcycle helmets in the past and they would scuff sooooo easily. I hated that.

I guess I wanted to get some real world comments and experiences on the painted hood of the T/A models.
I understand there are dedicated cleaning products and such. Just curious how the surfaces hold up over time.
Any comments are welcome.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
My local dealer had a T/A sitting in the showroom, and you could see the spots where people touched the matte paint, and some one tried to fix it, which left shiny spots. I'll never buy a car with it, I'd be too paranoid about the finish.

Reactions: SFCR and Carbide

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've had my T/A since April. The only thing I've had to do differently is use car washes that are touch-less. So far, no issues or blemishes. The car came with instructions on how to care for the matte black portion.

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,192 Posts
Mine still looks good, although the car has been garaged since new and is barely under 10k miles so far. I have used some Beasley‘s Matte Final Finish occasionally to keep it in good shape.

·
Registered
2019 scat pack T/A
24 Posts
I use this stuff. Making sure to not use anything with wax in it keeps it from getting blotchy. I also dry it immediately with a car towel to keep the water spots off it.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,038 Posts
I had a 2017 T/A and I put Xpel stealth on the hood to protect it. It’s a thin plastic matt finish wrap, that protects the paint. Worked great the two years I had it and it was warrantied 10 years.

Reactions: Carbide

·
Registered
2017 Challenger T/A 392 A8
93 Posts
Getting a TA is a love/hate proposition. It looks awesome when all cleaned up but the matte black shows everything. You can't use drive thru car washes. You have to buy special soap (love 3m Matte). Mine stays in the garage but still gets water spots on it. I guess they drip off the garage door when it opens. But they look so sharp. I get compliments everywhere I go. I would buy again. 5 STARS.

·
Registered
599 Posts
FWIW I was surprised how well my T/A held up, no scratches/fading/chips and I ran it through the bad/drive through car washes all the time. That said I only had it for about 14 mos so not sure how it would've done over the long term. And I was also good about not letting water sit on it, wiped the matte down after it got wet for fear of staining.

As mentioned above it's a bit more work but well worth IMO if you like the look!

Reactions: Carbide

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,849 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Good info to know. I'm considering a dual snorkel hood. Can't decide satin black or B5

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT350
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess my real concern is scratches. I know just my fingernails or a zipper from my jacket would scratch my Matte helmets.

With a car it would be road debris and such.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I guess my real concern is scratches. I know just my fingernails or a zipper from my jacket would scratch my Matte helmets.

With a car it would be road debris and such.
Apples v oranges. Not all matte finishes are equal, not to mention the application & bonding processes are entirely different for a vehicle hood v a 'plastic' helmet. While certainly not invulnerable to scratches the matte finish on the challenger hood is MUCH more durable than what you're describing.

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT350
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Apples v oranges. Not all matte finishes are equal, not to mention the application & bonding processes are entirely different for a vehicle hood v a 'plastic' helmet. While certainly not invulnerable to scratches the matte finish on the challenger hood is MUCH more durable than what you're describing.
I just used that as an example obviously.
I've seen motorcycles and atvs in Matte that easily scratched. Even interior walls in houses.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,849 Posts
The hood is paint, the roof and trunk wrap

A Guy

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT350
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Watched some YouTube vids on how to wash matte cars. Seems it definitely takes more time and cost.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts