60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone new to this forum.
I have a 2009 Dodge challenger R/T w/6 speed
Great car
Just did the recall battery/cable deal
still did not fix my problem,
Does anyone else have this weird flicker with headlights, interior
tail lights? I have the car at the dealer now, they told me I cant drive the car till they figure it out.
There is a tsb on the 2005 lx 300 & magnum 1800305,
but nothing this bad ass machine.
All input would be appreciated.:icon_confused::stickpoke:

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
Okay, I need to get my mechanic (hubby) involved in this thread. Roxie has done this a few times already....

Please update us!

BTW: welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will, I call my car Mr. Challenger.
Good car but those flickering headlights are drivin me crazy.
I can shine the lights on a wall, engine at idle push the brake pedal and the lights flicker
not just headlights all the lights flicker.
A little scary you know. I will know something in a day or two, and I will let you know
Thanks for reply sorry to hear Roxie doing the same thing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought I would update: FLICKERING LIGHTS !!!!!!!!!
Detroit told the mechanic to drive the car with the star computer hooked up,
rev engine, press the brakes, check for voltage variations.
send findings back to Detroit so engineers could determine if it is the altenator,
one of the 8 computers, challengers have or a short in the electrical system.
Will know more tommorow. will let you know (I pray its just the altenator)
I asked the guy how long visiting hours are, so I could visit with Mr. Challenger.
LOL.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
My lights also flicker. When I get up close to another car I can see the lights/turn signals flickering all while the interior lights on my dash flicker.

It gets a bit annoying but didn't wanna take it in to the dealer yet. Let us know what transpires of this

·
Registered
429 Posts
I would'nt lose any sleep over it! :ugh2:

I have had mine since November '08 and it has done the exact same thing since day one! Momentary "flicker" when first hitting the brakes(I can see the headlights dim & get bright again on "other cars" that are in front of me at night). It bugged me at first, but I got use to it!

FYI: mine is a 6-speed R/T born in Nov. '08

Venum S. :grim:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would'nt lose any sleep over it! :ugh2:

I have had mine since November '08 and it has done the exact same thing since day one! Momentary "flicker" when first hitting the brakes(I can see the headlights dim & get bright again on "other cars" that are in front of me at night). It bugged me at first, but I got use to it!

FYI: mine is a 6-speed R/T born in Nov. '08

Venum S. :grim:
Its a 70's feature for authenticity lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay guys after test results are in a bad altenator, dealer will replace,
must be a bad batch of them.
I dont and want let my $35,000.00 car have flickering lights.
If I wanted that I would install some strobes lol.
I recommend if you have the flicker go get your new altenator quick.
It also has a slight stumble in takeoff I believe to the same thing voltage spikes.
I tell you this is the best car dodge has ever built.
Trips me out 375 horses and 25 miles to the gallon WOW.
My build date is 10-2008 pick up at dealer 11-16-2008

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I very much doubt it is the alternator. I suspect most flickering is caused by the remote mounted battery, low amp rating, and thin gauge wires, as a combined system.

As a prior poster said, I'd love to hear any updates on your outcome!

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
7,288 Posts
okay guys after test results are in a bad alternator, dealer will replace,
must be a bad batch of them.
I don't and want let my $35,000.00 car have flickering lights.
If I wanted that I would install some strobes lol.
I recommend if you have the flicker go get your new alternator quick.
It also has a slight stumble in takeoff I believe to the same thing voltage spikes.
I tell you this is the best car dodge has ever built.
Trips me out 375 horses and 25 miles to the gallon WOW.
My build date is 10-2008 pick up at dealer 11-16-2008
Hmmm, my build date is about the same as yours. For sure, let us know what they replaced and if the flickering goes away.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Mine does it as well - 10Nov08 build date. I love the fact my car was born on the Marine Corps birthday, and my sons birthday to boot!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Same flickering as the others here since day one.....Doesn't appear to have any adverse affects....If it can be fixed, then fine...otherwise.....Just a quirk I can live with...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Let me know what happens also, I brought it into service about the same problem a while back and they said they tested the alt and it was fine and that these cars do it because they draw so much power at times (I didnt really understand how they could possibly draw 160 amps, but let us all know what happens!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They havent replaced altenator yet, they are waiting to get one.
and so am I.
Let me tell you this is a major flicker. When I press the brakes the lights brightin dim and then brightin up brighter than normal. then level out all in i a second.
Some of you may can live with that one but I can't.
I just feel with the modern technoligy they have here, they can build a car that has enough power to not drain the battery when you press the brakes gees.
I can see if I had a 1500 watt stereo with subwoofer thumpin away (flickering lights)
but? My 2003 dodge ram never done this, my 1968 dodge coronet 440 never done it
my 72 road runner never did it or my 73 road runner.
So whats up?
Oh I know the altenator was assembled in mexico, I forgot LOL.
What ever it is my friends they need to fix it,
a small electrical problem can turn out to be a big one later down the road when our warrantys run out. with all those tailights they probably should have gave us a Optima
batterys, capacitors or something.
I believe that this is a problem, the guys at Ginn Dodge in Covington Ga.
did what Dodge told them to do. The Dodge Boys told them it was a bad altenator.,
So when they change it I will tell you if it solved the problem or not.
Out of all the cars I mentioned above this challenger is the best car they have ever built. And I know they will solve this little problem.
Talk to you soon.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Agree with everything Joel said above:

It should be fixed, regardless of what is causing it. I know you mentioned you already had the RRT installed.

Joel, if you happen to be rummaging around in the trunk near the battery, check two things to put your mind (and mine) at ease:

1) Check the amperage rating label on your battery. It should now be 730CCA.
2) Check the color of tape on your neg ground cable. I think it went from blue for the original to green for the replacement, I'll verify that and modify this post if I'm backwards. Pics of the two cables:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f37/battery-ground-cable-recall-tsb-16023/index5.html#post247434

1 - 20 of 235 Posts