Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything I should know before I buy a floor jack? I want to use it mainly to jack up one corner at a time to change wheels. Will all of them fit under the Challenger. There isn't alot of clearance from body to floor. Should the 1 1/2 ton work fine? Jeg's sells them as well as Junior's Tools.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
From what I have found they all are fine. Clearance shouldn't be a issue at all.
I have a 3 ton and a 1.5 ton.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Go for it!

My 3 ton works just fine, but suggest you invest in the jack stands too. You can do so much more, and it will make things easier as well as quicker to get done. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I bought two 3-ton Craftman floor jacks at Sears yesterday. Regularly $100. On sales for $70. These suckers weigh 75 pounds each. I think they are about 5.5" high when lowered and they lift to a height of almost 20". Some of the little jacks only lift to a height of 13" and they are kinda wimpy looking. I also have one of those. I wanted some heavier jacks with more lift height so that I could install my Solo exhaust.

·
Registered
474 Posts
For a SRT you need a floor jack that is no higher then 4.75" in the down position or it will not work in the front - at least not on my car with its stock height.

If you are not in a huge hurry you can watch Amazon and catch one that has free shipping. I have a Sears 3 ton that is about 20 years and it is fine for the back but will not fit under the front. I was watching several jacks at Northern Tool, Harbor Freight, and Amazon. Caught an aluminum / steel combo for under $100., shipping was free, and the min. height was 4.5". Got the jack a couple of weeks ago and very happy with it.

If you do searches online you will starting picking up on the same designed jacks but with different names on them. I saw the one I purchased for as much as $329 but most like it were in the $200. - $250. Amazon's normal price was around $150. but had it on sale with the free shipping.

I was wanting an all aluminum jack but the aluminum / steel is so much lighter than the old steel jack I have it is like throwing around a rag doll.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts