Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
400 miles on the Odometer and i finally decided to give it all for a few seconds

wow...definitely the fastest ive ever accelerated and definitely more than i thought it would have

i dream of 1000 miles + an oil change so i can just crank it from the 0-100

i was going around 30 and just floored it...the car is an automatic and it just sat there doing nothing..then it downshifted and blah....then it downshifted again like it should have and went 30-60 in what seemed around 2 seconds...it was like 'hang on and steer straight'...i think the car went from 5 to 4 and then 4 to 2(blast off)

very disappointing how the automatic reacted...it took a second or 2 just to downshift to the correct gear....

i assume Autostick 2 taps to the left would have gotten me where i should have been quicker?

is my automatic already learning and turning my car into a grandma?

maybe i was just in an odd place and the auto had issues figuring out where it needed to be...if i was drag racing my competition would have been a few car lengths while i waited....

engine A++
Transmission D = hopefully Autostick fixes this

·
Registered
64 Posts
No the Auto sucks! It turns your car into the grocery getter by putting you in the wrong gear 1/2 the time.
I clunks you in an unpredictable gear or leaves you were you were so the car spools up like you are pulling a trailer.
You have to manual shift the auto shifter for power.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i havent played with the autostick at all

if i quickly would have tapped it left 2 or 3x would it have instantly downshifted?

i assume it wont let you downshift to 1st at 30mph by mistake

what about 2nd at 100 mph? does it protect itself?

·
Registered
55 Posts

if i quickly would have tapped it left 2 or 3x would it have instantly downshifted?

I've test driven a few challengers with the autostick and have an Audi Q7 with autostick (except it's up/down shifting and not left/right) that I play with sometimes:

You can shift as fast as you want to as long as it is within ~redline. The system does protect itself and won't let you break it, although you can certainly choose to drive in the wrong gear at high rpms if you wanted, or vice versa, as long as it is within redline. Once you get close to the redline tron takes over.

Also when you are slowing down to a stop (at a red light, for example) the system will automatically return to 1st gear for you. In the case of the Challenger, when you are tired messing around with it, hold the shifter to the right and it will reset into "D" on the dash. Give it a try, it's harmless.

·
Registered
75 Posts
turn off the esp and see if you like the downshifting response....I'll bet its totally different

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
400 miles on the Odometer and i finally decided to give it all for a few seconds

wow...definitely the fastest ive ever accelerated and definitely more than i thought it would have

i dream of 1000 miles + an oil change so i can just crank it from the 0-100

So, 6000 miles should be your first change unless your change oil light comes on. If you "feel" the need to change it out because you think there might be something in there that shouldn't be...well, you waited to long already so just hang in there until 6000 or the light.

i was going around 30 and just floored it...the car is an automatic and it just sat there doing nothing..then it downshifted and blah....then it downshifted again like it should have and went 30-60 in what seemed around 2 seconds...it was like 'hang on and steer straight'...i think the car went from 5 to 4 and then 4 to 2(blast off)

What was your car doing in fifth gear at 30? It probably was in forth and dropped to third, then dropped to second. You would have to watch the tach to be sure.

very disappointing how the automatic reacted...it took a second or 2 just to downshift to the correct gear....

I hear ya...that is why I went for the manual trans, I just didn't like the auto. The SRT was a whole lot better than the R/T however, so at least you're in the right car. Get used to the autostick feature and you'll be lovin life in no time.

i assume Autostick 2 taps to the left would have gotten me where i should have been quicker?

is my automatic already learning and turning my car into a grandma?

maybe i was just in an odd place and the auto had issues figuring out where it needed to be...if i was drag racing my competition would have been a few car lengths while i waited....

engine A++
Transmission D = hopefully Autostick fixes this
PS that is one sweet ride you got there!:)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
It will kick down initially to one lower gear, a simple movement toward your leg with the gearshift will drop it into the lower gear and put it in autostick mode. Its effortless, from what i understand it will upshift for you if you hold it long enough in the lower gear, i rarely keep my foot into it long enough to worry about it though. The transmission so far is a very forgiving and easy to work with piece. After a little bit of playtime you'll find yourself downshifting it manually more often than waiting for it to do it for you. I usually only use autoshift for the first 3 gears, by that time i'm ready to let it handle things again, and just hold it to the right for a couple of seconds and it goes back into auto mode.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The auto 392 I test drove was pretty responsive. Obviously I didn't floor it, but it seemed to be instant response. The auto stick feature was fun too. The only problem i felt with downshifting is you can't modulate the clutch so it's a little abrupt, but again it's instant and the power is there. The reason I opted for the manual was I just like the feel of a clutch and the involvement of the action of shifting gears. From a power and acceleration standpoint alone I felt the auto would be comparable and with that engine it just comes on like a fire hose.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I know a lot of folks prefer the automatic and that's cool.

I've driven them however and really don't like them. Yes, you sometimes have to row a six speed manual, but it'll always be in the gear you select without the car trying to out-think you.

No disrespect to the auto-boys, it's all good.

·
Registered
490 Posts
When Diablo comes out with a Predator for the 392 you can reset the adaptive transmission and re-train it. I do this occasionally on my charger and it makes a difference. I reset it, the drive it hard. It down shifts quicker on acceleration and braking.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had an 09 R/T and traded up to the 392 IE with automatic transmissions on both. The Challenger really wants to run in Auto Stick mode. I only use "Drive" mode on the interstate while cruising to save fuel.

It really accelerates if you downshift to 3rd at 65 MPH. You can get from 65 to 100 MPH while passing in just 3 seconds. I usually back off the accelerator before I draw even with the car I'm passing and coast back into the right lane.

The 392 is crazy fast and has great torque through the entire range. You can maximize its performance using Auto Stick. It just takes a while to get used to the way it works.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Also just opened mine up (mostly in 2nd) for the first time just after break-in. Wow. I found it quite puzzling at that point, as to why they would shorten the steering ratio?! If you're hammering through 'em, it's pretty dang easy to get squirrely pretty quick.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Turn esc to full off. Drive like a bat out hell.Then turn esc back on. After you do this a few times you will notice an awakening. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
played w/ auto stick tonight...then when i went back to normal automatic i floored it 1/2 way and it downshifted and took off instantly

auto stick really jerks when you shift during even moderate acceleration....its very different

i drove about 20 miles in autostick on city streets...i tried to pretend it was a stick shift w/o a clutch...i wouldnt call it fun, but its different.....not sure if i would ever make a habit of it

·
Registered
135 Posts

Well I have been training my auto from the start I had 4 miles on the car and my first entrance on the highway was full throttle and took it to a conservative 145.

Yes you can autostick into 1st at 30 mph been there already. At 60 mph, no the computer wont let you. I dont know exactly what the cut off speeds are but the computer handles it no worries.

My auto shifts firm as one would expect with the soft pressure settings and extreme torque management calibrated in the computer as of now during moderate acceleration. Under light acceleration the 1-2 shift occurs very fast for fuel economy but even in second gear the car has a respectable amount of torque that it does not feel slugish where I feel I need to give it more throttle to get it to down shift.

·
Registered
631 Posts
played w/ auto stick tonight...then when i went back to normal automatic i floored it 1/2 way and it downshifted and took off instantly

auto stick really jerks when you shift during even moderate acceleration....its very different

i drove about 20 miles in autostick on city streets...i tried to pretend it was a stick shift w/o a clutch...i wouldnt call it fun, but its different.....not sure if i would ever make a habit of it
I'll agree, auto stick isn't really a lot of fun. I have paddles on my A6 Corvette, and like you, tried them a few times, and really didn't find it that enjoyable. If you really like to manually shift, then get a true manual.

My wife even has paddles on her Malibu. A Malibu with paddle shifters, what is the point of that? I just told her never to put her car in "M", leave in drive. She would never understand how to operate the paddles, no way!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm waiting until the fall, to see if Chrysler will put the ZF in the 392.

Gettin' a bit impatient, too.... :)

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
they've already said they arent

your waiting for 2013 then....will the Challenger exist?

·
Registered
159 Posts
huggytree,

Damm, feels silly calling a grown man "huggytree", but anyway..... :)

I thought I read in one of the car rags about a possible new auto trans with extra gear(s), but they didn't specifically say it was going to be the ZF. So I'll wait till fall, and whatever auto trans they have in them by then, then that's what I'll get.

Nope, can't wait for the 2013 model year. I'm getting older by the minute... :)

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
huggytree,

Damm, feels silly calling a grown man "huggytree", but anyway..... :)

I
:)

how do you know im a man and how do you know im grown up? i could be a 12 year old rich girl who drives my 392 around my back yard

1 - 20 of 24 Posts