Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new here and looking to purchase an SRT8. I have located one in Boca Raton and am looking for a independent third-party mechanic that I could pay to go check this out since I live in another state.

Everything looks great as far as checking out the business and the specs and Carfax on the car but I am still a little hesitant to buy on that alone.

It is a 2008 and I know I could fly out there and drive/look at it but honestly I would still not really know what all should be looked for to make sure it's okay.

If I do decide to purchase I definitely will fly out and drive it home but would like it checked out more extensively before hand

I've replaced several parts in cars but always with Haynes and Chilton's manuals (prior to YouTube and Google) and I would not be the best and inspecting it myself anyway other than looking at exterior body and driving it like a Challenger rookie.

If anyone has any recommendations please let me know.

Thank you all for your time in reading this and I hope to be a owner in the near future and not just an admirer.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
647 Posts
What service or website did you use to find the car? They should be able to refer you to someone that can inspect the vehicle.

If not, perhaps reach out to your lender if you're using one.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
There were only 6400 of those 2008's built, all SRT trim. I hope this is a garage queen with low mileage, so at least that would make me feel good.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This was number 1101 and has 38k miles on it. I'm still trying to get and inspection figure it out but the company selling it answered many many questions I had took extra pictures and video to show me as well and explain the history of it which makes me feel a lot better about it.

I got more info yesterday on it and it got an $8k + paint job of matte grey at the request of the former owner (Mario Chalmers, former Point Guard for the Miami Heat) who had it since 2012 and kept it garaged. I'm not a sports guy but I definitely like that guy's taste!
That Matte Gray is sweet!

The only thing at the moment I know I'm adding is a phantom grill for the front.

The wheels are actually 22" Vossen wheels (www.VossenWheels.com) on it.

Fortunately, I will not be using a lender for this purchase but if I were, that would be a good place to start to get a recommendation more local to its location for inspection.

I have a buddy that several hours away from it that is seen if he can convince a trusted mechanic he knows to go check it out for me at a cost.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
Is it me or the doors don’t match the fenders in color, both sides look wrong.
I’d buy a wrapped car before I’d trust someone you don’t know to spray a car and do it properly.

Reactions: Wizard of Iz

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it me or the doors don’t match the fenders in color, both sides look wrong.
I’d buy a wrapped car before I’d trust someone you don’t know to spray a car and do it properly.
I think it's because of the matte finish in the way light is bouncing off of it I have seen live video of a walk around on the car and everything looks to match there.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
647 Posts
Agreed! You can always take a wrap off -- carefully.

That's an expensive paint job that may not be everyone's cup of tea. And as mentioned, there weren't that many built.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True, it might not be everyone's cup of tea and for collectability it might have been a mistake for the last person to paint it.

However, I really love the color and the fact that it's matte so that's what matters to me.

I'm not buying to collect it I'm buying it to use it.
At least other than the winter months this will be a daily driver for me and as long as the color looks even when I check it out in person I am totally good with it.

To each their own.

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
If it looks that way in a photo, I’d expect it to look the same in person. It’s one reason I don’t like the Camaro, it has a nice shape but the flaring of the rear quarter panels look like they don’t match.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
Plastics and metals don't always match up in paint. Gm had a real problem with this on some of their first run 5th generation Camaros back in 2010. Silver/grey metallic colors are also very hard to match when doing repair work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts