Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 Challenger Classic Rt 6sp
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently Franknstiened my exhaust on my 2010 RT Classic 6 speed. I went through several different changes over the years.
Started with installation of Flow Master Force 2 system which has Super 44's and resonators in the tail pipes. Was a touch louder than stock with no drone. I felt it was to quiet for my taste. I then went with an American Thunder system which has Super 40's with no resonators in the tail pipes. Loved the sound, hated the dreaded drone between 1500-2000. Couldn't take it for long. So I cut up the factory system and installed the mids in the Flow Master tail pipes. Was really unhappy with the result. Wound up going back to the Force 2 for awhile.
I then made mid muffler deletes and removed the Super 40's that came in the American Thunder system. It was ok, loud and raspy, but wasn't what I wanted.
I then came across the Helmholtz resonator which when tuned to a certain length, can cancel out drone . Did a lot of reading and found Solo Performance, who produces this adjustable resonator in a complete exhaust kit. I purchased it and installed it. It sounded good, no drone, but I still wanted that Flow Master sound . Back to cutting and welding. The finished product is Flow Master Super 40's with modified Solo Performance tail pipes. Out of the box, no adjusting , the Solo Performance tail pipes gave me EXACTLY what I wanted. Absolutely no drone at all with that amazing Flow Master sound . I may try the Super 44's in the future.

Factory mids welded into American Thunder Exhaust . Mid muffler delete pipe.

Force 2 Tail Pipe

Solo Performance Tail Pipe.

Installed Solo Performance tail Pipe. Left.

Right.

Finished Quad Tips

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
Do not like it, LOVE it !!! Good job !! Me thinks the Helmholtz is the FUTURE !!!

Reactions: thedriver

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T 392 6 speed manual
288 Posts
I recently Franknstiened my exhaust on my 2010 RT Classic 6 speed. I went through several different changes over the years.
Started with installation of Flow Master Force 2 system which has Super 44's and resonators in the tail pipes. Was a touch louder than stock with no drone. I felt it was to quiet for my taste. I then went with an American Thunder system which has Super 40's with no resonators in the tail pipes. Loved the sound, hated the dreaded drone between 1500-2000. Couldn't take it for long. So I cut up the factory system and installed the mids in the Flow Master tail pipes. Was really unhappy with the result. Wound up going back to the Force 2 for awhile.
I then made mid muffler deletes and removed the Super 40's that came in the American Thunder system. It was ok, loud and raspy, but wasn't what I wanted.
I then came across the Helmholtz resonator which when tuned to a certain length, can cancel out drone . Did a lot of reading and found Solo Performance, who produces this adjustable resonator in a complete exhaust kit. I purchased it and installed it. It sounded good, no drone, but I still wanted that Flow Master sound . Back to cutting and welding. The finished product is Flow Master Super 40's with modified Solo Performance tail pipes. Out of the box, no adjusting , the Solo Performance tail pipes gave me EXACTLY what I wanted. Absolutely no drone at all with that amazing Flow Master sound . I may try the Super 44's in the future.
View attachment 1012706 View attachment 1012707
View attachment 1012708
Force 2 Tail Pipe
View attachment 1012709
View attachment 1012710
View attachment 1012711
Right.
View attachment 1012712
View attachment 1012713
View attachment 1012714 Finished Quad Tips
I’ve been looking at Solo for a while. Some people report a flat spot in power at certain rpms with the Solo. Do you notice anything like that?

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
605 Posts
Rectangular quad tips - THIS IS THE WAY.

I may have went with Zoomers back in 2011 - and have been very content with its sound and lack of drone - but Borla and Solo were my other 2 final contenders. Need some comparison sound clips of your modified Solos!

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve been looking at Solo for a while. Some people report a flat spot in power at certain rpms with the Solo. Do you notice anything like that?
No I didn't notice anything like that. I did not notice any flat spots at all.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T 5.7L A8 Pitch Black aka "Black Beauty"
60 Posts

Force 2 Tail Pipe

Right.

Finished Quad Tips
I also Frankenstein'd my exhaust on my 2015 R/T 5.7, when I bought the car it had 2.50" Flowmaster American Thunder which was the Super 40s with no tailpipe resonator with the factory rectangle tips. (Probably why the original owner traded in the car as some times mistakes can be costly to correct!). The interior cabin drone was so bad at about 2,000 rpm it would actually rattle the dash, and I really did not care for the raspy sound the chambered mufflers produce, so it was a perfect opportunity to try different exhaust. My changes in no particular order, were not just about exterior sound though, they were about performance and sound, if the exhaust actually hurt the performance, it was not going to stay on the car no ifs, ands, and buts, about it.

I cut out the Super 40s, and put 24" Cherry Bomb glass packs in place the sound went from raspy to low and rumbly, the interior drone was a little better not dash rattling but still a little irritating, but I knew when the glass packs wore out it would get worse. Performance wise though was better than the Flowmaster setup, I was testing the performance at the time making multiple 0 ~ 60 runs. When I bought the 24" Cherry Bombs I also bought 8" to use as resonators at the tailpipe and with those installed the drone was gone, but at the same time my performance took a serious hit, so I removed the 8" resonators.

So now I knew exterior sound wise the open flow glass pack style was the direction I wanted to go, but I did not want a butchered up system under the car, so I started researching Cat Back Exhaust systems that had the flow through muffler design, and at least tolerable drone, and decided on the Magnaflow Competition Cat Back System. When I first installed it I loved the quiet rumble sound but it was a lot quieter idling than I though it would be, there was almost no interior drone. However the very first time I took it out and ran the first 0 ~ 60 run it screamed power! I got the best 0 ~ 60 time of all the testing I had done, it sounded like a pure race car at full throttle! That was over a year ago the Mufflers are worn in now, it is a lot louder idling but still not a problem, I can be at a red light next to a Highway Patrol and not get a second look, unless I put my foot in it that is! :) Ryan

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also Frankenstein'd my exhaust on my 2015 R/T 5.7, when I bought the car it had 2.50" Flowmaster American Thunder which was the Super 40s with no tailpipe resonator with the factory rectangle tips. (Probably why the original owner traded in the car as some times mistakes can be costly to correct!). The interior cabin drone was so bad at about 2,000 rpm it would actually rattle the dash, and I really did not care for the raspy sound the chambered mufflers produce, so it was a perfect opportunity to try different exhaust. My changes in no particular order, were not just about exterior sound though, they were about performance and sound, if the exhaust actually hurt the performance, it was not going to stay on the car no ifs, ands, and buts, about it.

I cut out the Super 40s, and put 24" Cherry Bomb glass packs in place the sound went from raspy to low and rumbly, the interior drone was a little better not dash rattling but still a little irritating, but I knew when the glass packs wore out it would get worse. Performance wise though was better than the Flowmaster setup, I was testing the performance at the time making multiple 0 ~ 60 runs. When I bought the 24" Cherry Bombs I also bought 8" to use as resonators at the tailpipe and with those installed the drone was gone, but at the same time my performance took a serious hit, so I removed the 8" resonators.

So now I knew exterior sound wise the open flow glass pack style was the direction I wanted to go, but I did not want a butchered up system under the car, so I started researching Cat Back Exhaust systems that had the flow through muffler design, and at least tolerable drone, and decided on the Magnaflow Competition Cat Back System. When I first installed it I loved the quiet rumble sound but it was a lot quieter idling than I though it would be, there was almost no interior drone. However the very first time I took it out and ran the first 0 ~ 60 run it screamed power! I got the best 0 ~ 60 time of all the testing I had done, it sounded like a pure race car at full throttle! That was over a year ago the Mufflers are worn in now, it is a lot louder idling but still not a problem, I can be at a red light next to a Highway Patrol and not get a second look, unless I put my foot in it that is! :) Ryan
Excellent write up !!!!

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I now added a new Mustang H Pipe to my exhaust. I replaced the flow master mid pipe. Cut one open and was not impressed with the small D-shaped opening.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I now added a new Mustang H Pipe to my exhaust. I replaced the flow master mid pipe. Cut one open and was not impressed with the small D-shaped opening.

Good welding on the Flowmaster I'll give them that!
Flowmasters crossover vs Magnaflows X Pipe.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you notice a sound difference from the Flowmaster to the Magnaflo ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Did you notice a sound difference from the Flowmaster to the Magnaflo ?
Absolutely:

The Flowmaster system was raspy and a higher pitched sound, especially when revved, the drone inside was so bad at about 2,000 rpm with the Super 40s it would actually make something in the dash rattle.

The Magnaflow was a deeper mellow sound no rasping or bad drone, and very quiet, until you put your foot in it and then it roared power. Very pleased with the Magnaflow setup, and now that they are wearing some it is getting louder, but in a good way. Magnaflows, flow through mufflers actually produced better times on 0 ~ 60 runs than the Flowmaster chambered mufflers did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts