Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i decided to go with flowmaster 40 series mufflers and delete the resonators. local shops are quoting me $400-$500 for the work above, out the door price. sounds like alot. im hearing people talking about having paid $250'ish for getting flowmasters put in. does 400-500 sounds too high???im in southern california....thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm in Charlotte, NC. At a local Midas it was $340 out the door. I'd be curious to see how you like it without the resonators. Bought my R/T Classic a month ago and five days later had the Flowmasters put on. A week ago I had aftermarket resonators put back on. Way too much drone for me and mine is a daily driver. Still has a great sound.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey that is a a bit high, I would go somewhere else. I was also in socal when I had the exact same thing done. 40s and resonator delete. I paid 250 at my local exhaust shop. It really is less than an hours work for a professional and the pipe and mufflers are pretty cheap. Hope this helps!

-PS sounds great with the 40s and no resonators. You wont be disappointed!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so after talking to a few muffler shops, each one makes it seem like its rocket science to put these mufflers on, hence the prices im getting. are flowmasters a challenge to do right? cuz if so i can see how they justify their prices..if im gonna shell out $500 thats approaching full system pricing on the cheaper end of full systems.no?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey that is a a bit high, I would go somewhere else. I was also in socal when I had the exact same thing done. 40s and resonator delete. I paid 250 at my local exhaust shop. It really is less than an hours work for a professional and the pipe and mufflers are pretty cheap. Hope this helps!

-PS sounds great with the 40s and no resonators. You wont be disappointed!
did you get the super 40 or reg 40? is there really much diff between the two? on the flowmaster website it seems to be a bit deeper sound on the supers

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
so after talking to a few muffler shops, each one makes it seem like its rocket science to put these mufflers on, hence the prices im getting. are flowmasters a challenge to do right? cuz if so i can see how they justify their prices..if im gonna shell out $500 thats approaching full system pricing on the cheaper end of full systems.no?
Yes, it is very close in price compared with some of the prices I had seen for the American Thunder exhaust.
I don't know how a muffler shop could make such an issue out of replacing mufflers......thats why they are in that business:scratchhead: Sounds as if the shops in your area have a stranglehold on pricing and are telling you that story so as to justify their inflated costs.:disgust:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't think there is much of a difference between the super 40 and regular prisewize. They may be a little more expensive but it sounds like they just want to charge you an arm and a leg for the labor. It's really not that hard to use a saw to chop off the old mufflers and resonators if you want and then weld in new mufflers and strait pipe. The place I went to did it in two hours and I don't know when he really started working on it. I left and came back and it was done. If you don't mind me asking where in socal are you?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im in the riverside/san bernardino area

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dude that's crazy, Im from Redlands originally. I just moved to Texas last November. I went to:
Redlands Muffler and Brake Services
519 West Colton Avenue, Redlands, CA (909) 793-1243

I think its close to a year ago now or maybe a little less I took my car in and had flowmaster 40s put on and had the resonators cut out and replaced with strait pipe. They already had everything for the mod there ready, they do great work and I have had absolutely zero problems with it.The guy did it in like 2 hours and I think i paid either $250 or $300 cash out the door. I would just go in ready to have it done if you are serious and talk to them about it. They will work with you and are flexible on price especially if you pay in cash. Hope this helps man.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
ok so i decided to go with flowmaster 40 series mufflers and delete the resonators. local shops are quoting me $400-$500 for the work above, out the door price. sounds like alot. im hearing people talking about having paid $250'ish for getting flowmasters put in. does 400-500 sounds too high???im in southern california....thanks
I'm so cal...I paid about 400 cash to have mine done...

Its all location based...and in so cal, unless you have a hook up...you are going to pay for it. The place I had it done, has done business with my father in law....says they usually charge about $750 for the simple work I had done.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
PS...its not just replacing the mufflers, thats the easy part.

If you are getting rid of the resonator (like I did) they have to bend all new pipe to go from the mufflers to the exhaust tips. Hence the added cost.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm in the same area and just got a super 40 flowmaster put in my new truck yesterday for $150 out the door at Rubidoux Smog and Muffler. Of course it will be a little more on your Challenger, but I guarantee it wont be $500 and the guys there are gear heads with some sweet classic muscle cars. It's worth a call.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dude that's crazy, Im from Redlands originally. I just moved to Texas last November. I went to:
Redlands Muffler and Brake Services
519 West Colton Avenue, Redlands, CA (909) 793-1243

I think its close to a year ago now or maybe a little less I took my car in and had flowmaster 40s put on and had the resonators cut out and replaced with strait pipe. They already had everything for the mod there ready, they do great work and I have had absolutely zero problems with it.The guy did it in like 2 hours and I think i paid either $250 or $300 cash out the door. I would just go in ready to have it done if you are serious and talk to them about it. They will work with you and are flexible on price especially if you pay in cash. Hope this helps man.
wanna hear crazier? i just moved to east highland from redlands! lived there practically all my life. small world! anyhow yea i did call redlands muffler and the guy was so laid back he worried me. when i asked what the difference was between the 40 and 44 he said its all the same...guy was just super short like the kind that has been doing it so long that hes tired of answering questions you know...i asked his name and he told me he was the owner. they have done work for me in the past but just got a weird vibe from the guy. scottys in berdoo wanted $500!!! as a last resort called j&m speed in riverside and recommended a shop and they sounded very knowledgeable so i went there, paid $350:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow man, I lived in east highland off weaver for 10 years, moved to Redlands for 3 and now I'm here in Texas. No smog checks here! :) Glad you found a place. How do you like the sound?

·
Registered
3 Posts
from new york. put my cat back super 44's in yesterday. i left the resos in and sounds great. the guy charged me $100 took him about 1hr to put in..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow man, I lived in east highland off weaver for 10 years, moved to Redlands for 3 and now I'm here in Texas. No smog checks here! :) Glad you found a place. How do you like the sound?
really is a small world. i live up off of alta vista, if you know where thats at. i think i expected the 44's to be louder, guys at the shop are saying they need to break in. not sure how true that is. i thout drone was what you got at top gear speeds, ie on the freeway. i get the "drone" anytime the rpms go thru the 1900-2100 range no matter what gear it goes thru even if i use auto stick...THAT kinda drives me up the wall. i may add some glass packs. i could prolly live with it if it sounds good on the outside. gess ill have to have someone drive my car so i can listen to it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i'm itching to put 44's on mine. I have time, space, a chop saw and a welder, I was gonna do it myself. is it really that bad?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i'm itching to put 44's on mine. I have time, space, a chop saw and a welder, I was gonna do it myself. is it really that bad?
if you are refering to the drone well i would rather do without it. i beleve that is what most people call it. i have heard some describe it as a moan...the sounds doesnt have that beautiful sound it makes when you step on it, like a gargling, i dont know ... im waiting to see if it really does "break in"... holding off on the glasspacks till then

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I've had my 44's on for about 500 miles so I'm not sure when they are considered broken in.:scratchhead: Originally they were installed as part of the Force II system (includes resonators) which gave a decent sounding exhaust note; was a bit louder than stock and had no drone.:bigthumb: I wanted something louder, so I ended up changing out the rear pipes to the American thunder rears (no resonators) and man do these things have a lot of drone now. Definitely louder/meaner exhaust note from startup through full throttle:bigthumb:, but the drone zone (2000-2200) is rough to say the least. Just like Pitbull said, that drone peaks its ugly head just by running through the gears at slow to moderate acceleration.:( Though they sound wicked when under hard acceleration:browsmiley:
On a side note: The tech support guy at Flowmaster told me that they chose the 44's for the Force II system because they have more drone than the super 40's and as such, need the addition of resonators to tame it down. He went on to say that since the 40's are a bit larger in size they don't drone as badly and thats why they were mated to the American Thunder system without resonators. I'm still giving some consideration to purchasing a set of super 40's to replace the 44's to see if I'm able to keep the current sound and have less drone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts