Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Challenger RT, 5.7 liter. I've added the Mopar cold air intake, and for the exhaust, cat-bak, Flow master 40. I'm using the stock exhaust, simply replaced the mufflers with flow master 40's and removed the resonators at the end, replacing with just straight pipes. The problem is, I just don't like the sound. Its not too loud, its just not right to me. I'd like a more crisp rapping sound as opposed to the deep throaty sound.

I posted earlier about just straight pipes, I'm not going down that road. After several conversations with Speedlogix, I'm now Only debating on, either keeping what I have (Flowmaster 40) or changing those out for SLP Loudmouth 2 (the loudmouth one is basically a st pipe)

So, bottom line, I'm down to this, does anyone have any experience with Flowmaster 40 vs SLP loudmouth 2 ?

Thanks,
James (AJ) Anning
[email protected]
user id: Janning

·
Registered
38 Posts
Keep your FLOWMASTERS, I have them on my 2012 CHALLENGER RT, they're louder than the LM2

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess, I've had a Harley too long, I dont consider the flowmasters loud at all.
wow, hard to imagine the flowmater with two big V baffles are louder than the LMII which is only a straight pipe with holes in it. You've actually had both on, and the flowmaster is louder?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had the loudmouth 1 and switched to the 40, then switched to the 44. The 40 and 44 were deeper, but the loudmouth 1 was LOUD. So if you're looking for loud, then I suggest u go with the loudmouth 1.

Nutterbutter Could you tell any difference between the 40 and 44?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had the loudmouth 1 and switched to the 40, then switched to the 44. The 40 and 44 were deeper, but the loudmouth 1 was LOUD. So if you're looking for loud, then I suggest u go with the loudmouth 1.

Nutterbutter Could you tell any difference between the 40 and 44?
There was only a slight difference. It was a little deeper and a little louder. I don't regret making the swap since I got a good deal on the mufflers, but if u already have the 40s Ur better off just keeping them and saving the money.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
724 Posts
I actually has slp lm1 then switched to lm2
Both didn't sound good IMO
The I switched to the flowmaster americam thunder exhaust that had the super 40 mufflers
Didnt really like the system either
If you want my advice after spending $$ I went with zoomers which is by far the best sounding exhaust for our cars
Deep crisp muscle car sound that can't be rivaled

Reactions: OmahaRumble

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Basically I owned a Harley for a long time, and it had that very loud, nice (not like an old farm truck w no muffler), very powerful sound. I know this is a car, but this is the sound I'm looking for...sounds good and loud idling and a holly terror when you give it the gas.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Basically I owned a Harley for a long time, and it had that very loud, nice (not like an old farm truck w no muffler), very powerful sound. I know this is a car, but this is the sound I'm looking for...sounds good and loud idling and a holly terror when you give it the gas.
Idk if a cat back alone is going to give u that sound Ur looking for. U might have to do the full on exhaust and add some headers and hi flow cats, or maybe go catless.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
627 Posts
I got slp loud mouth 1I wouldn't change for anything it's loud I set off car alarms all the time I have herd others and they can't compare to my car best system out there my 2cents

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I considered a Loudmouth I but, its basically straight pipe. I keep seeing these posts saying it sounds like an old farm truck. That's when I looked at the LM II, its same thing but has a straight pipe through it with perforations. (similar to what my Harley did) these Flow master 40's have two big V shaped baffles, which aren't much, but obviously are taking away some sound. I have 4 questions for you.
1) What engine are you running the LM I on?
2) does it sound like an old farm truck w no muffler?
3) does it sound more like a loud Harley (or any chopper) ?
4) what about the Drone ?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I got a 6speed so I don't notice any drown if it sounded lije a farm truck I wouldn't have it on my car I got the 6.1 motor It sounds like a race car and it sounds.way faster than it really is lol look for it in you tube theres a few on there

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
IDK Loudmouth but just had my Flowmaster 40s replaced with Magnaflows.

The FM 40s sound great from the outside but sounds like a loud nondescript drone inside, which seems to be your complaint, too.

The Magnaflows have a deeper, more muted sound, cutting in half the mind-numbing drone noise inside, while still sounding great outside.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Search pypes street pro. Its raspy and crisp. Kinda like the borla atak. Im going with this exhaust once funds arrive.

Remember headers deff add volume. Like 50% louder but MUCH deeper. Like a buzzing drone sound on certain exhausts.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I was gonna get pypes with the violator mufflers the videos sound amazing but good deal on my slp loud mouth

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The SLP loud mouth 2? sets the car alarms off?
which engine?
Have you heard the flowmaster 40? How does the LM 2 compare to that ?

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I should of listened to KRE8SHUN who said "Keep your FLOWMASTERS, I have them on my 2012 CHALLENGER RT, they're louder than the LM2"
I did hours of google, and found PYPEs M-80 which dimensions and inside are exactly like SLP LMII. I took off my flowmaster 40 and put on the M-80. The they aren't as loud, sound not as good. I earlier said I could not see how the baffled 40's were louder than a straight piped muffler, well....they are!

I took the 40s and had them put on my girl friends V6 challenger SXT, sounds great. something to note, the stock muffler on the V6 SXT, is the exact dimensions and internals as the SLP LM2 !! (and the Pype M-80)

Now maybe i'm missing something, but the stock SXT muffler, SLP LMII and Pype M-80, magnaflow all 4 are same diameter, same length, have no baffle, just a straight pipe through them that has many holes in it (glass packs in my opinion). If you're looking for a SLP LM2....get a stock SXT muffler! Much cheaper

Why pay $175 for a magnaflow when all you are getting is a prettier package than a stock SXT muffler?

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2 more things...the flowmaster 40 carried a LOT of drone, which is 80% gone now with the M-80..its almost like the flowmasters sounded louder/better while inside the car, but from the outside the M-80 sound better ...will have to get someone to drive my car so I can see.

During all my research I've heard people call the SLP2 a muffler, a resonator a glass pack...which is it? I like this as a base line description:

Aftermarket exhaust parts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Interesting. Which series pypes mufflers did you get. Don't they carry violator street and race pro editions? I really like the street pro. I'm seriously considering that or even the T-phlo tria mufflers. You should listen to those on youtube. They could be my new favorite sounding muff

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They are called Pypes M-80 race pro. aka ...a glass pack. I feel like I've lost power too. Will update after I go do a 0- 60 run. I was easily doing that, consistently in 5.1 seconds....If I can't get that or near that again...OFF with the M-80. Frankly, I'd go with flowmaster 40 if I were you...I know everyone has them...maybe there's a reason for that ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts