Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow

12K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  jjo 
#1 ·
We have a Challenger RT w AT. Yesterday we removed the resonators and drove a few hundred. It wasn't quite what I was looking for, although it was a big improvement. At 2200-2500, the drone was serious. Today, after confiring with the local muffler guy, we pulled the suitcase and replaced it with 2 50 series deltas. MUCH BETTER. I can normally hear the engine, and with any throttle whatsoever, very nice exhaust sound is produced. One more thing, the flowmasters went where the suitcase was with little modification. Next - headers.:guiness:

#2 ·
Got a sounds clip you can post?

Cheers,
Chris

#4 ·
I agree the 50s have got to be quieter than the 40s. Installed Super 40's with the resonators remaining in place on my '09 R/T Classic. The sound is not much more agressive than the suitcase muffler. The muffler shop warned me that the exhaust sound is not going to be very loud with the cats still in place compared to the response of flowmasters on a older muscle car or streetrod. Looking at replacing the resonators with glass packs in the future.

#5 ·
6 pack,
Do you have any drone with the 40's and the resonators on? I'm looking for better sound but don't want any drone. Thanks.

#6 ·
AFDoc, There is a very slight drone on the scale of 1-2 (10 being worst) that is comparable or not much different than what you hear with the suitcase muffler in place. At 70 mph the exhaust has a slight rumble above stock with no noticeable drone (No problem listening to the radio and holding a conversation with the wife). The 40's do come alive under hard acceleration. At a local car show I did hear a 5.7 Challenger with 40's and shorty glasspacks resulting in the exhaust having a more aggressive sound. The owner stated that the drone was very minimal and definitely not annoying.

#7 ·
Thanks 6pack. I'm thinking that's the direction I'll be heading...40's with resonators in place - maybe glass packs down the line. Can't have any drone since its a daily driver.

#8 · (Edited)
I don't know...what drone is I guess..I have super 10's and no reses and my engine\exhaust never bothers me even on the highway...I never noticed "drone" with the 40 and I never noticed it with the 10...it just sounds sweet as hell.

40's with resonators will be exactly as loud as stock, don't even bother. After I had cut off the res, when I got the super 40's in place of the suitcase mufflers it was maybe 5% louder at max, it sounded deeper, but the 40's drift off past 3,200 RPM, where as the Super 10's have the 40 sound up to that rpm, but then have a pure pipe ringing awesome sound past that (which is wicked for the 6.1l)

Trust me though, super 40's WITH the resonators...you'll be very disappointed, extremely quiet, take the resonators off when you do that, there really isn't any bad drone from either setup...the steel casing diameter is what helps the flows eliminate that if I recall, but ya...mine dosen't bother me at all on the highway, now my FJ with a v-6 straight piped sure as hell did, but this with no res\super 10's (one chamber flows) doesn't at all, and sound so wicked when you get on it, solved my issue of the 40's (silent past 3,200 rpm, all you hear is engine you'll see).

#9 · (Edited)
RPaulg87,
I know it'd be best to hear in person but I think the chances of that are slim. Can you post a sound clip from inside your cabin at different speeds as an example? Also, if you've got an SRT you don't have the MDS feature where the engine goes down to 4 cylinders instead of 8. I think that is why you don't have the drone issue. Same for RTs with the manual transmission - they don't have the MDS so no drone. RT with auto is a different beast to tame when trying to get better sound out of the exhaust; have to have some compromise somewhere.

Earl610: Can you post a clip?

thanks

#10 ·
RPaulg87,
I know it'd be best to hear in person but I think the chances of that are slim. Can you post a sound clip from inside your cabin at different speeds as an example? Also, if you've got an SRT you don't have the MDS feature where the engine goes down to 4 cylinders instead of 8. I think that is why you don't have the drone issue. Same for RTs with the manual transmission - they don't have the MDS so no drone. RT with auto is a different beast to tame when trying to get better sound out of the exhaust; have to have some compromise somewhere.

Earl610: Can you post a clip?

thanks
I will see if I can get my dad to tape it tomorrow. He has a camera. Not sure if the phone will work, but I could try that.

As far as the MDS sounding different, I seriously cannot tell the difference unless the light says ECO ON. Otherwise it's pretty much seamless unless you compare it to performance driving rather than cruising, but even then, you'd be hard pressed to tell me you can tell the difference. But then again, I'm half deaf. Haha. I can tell you the MDS shuts off when driving the auto in (manual shift mode). As such by taking your foot off the gas, I can hear the X pipe sing which wouldn't be the case with MDS. But I am not sure if that's what they are talking about.

#11 ·
Keep forgetting about MDS...that's gonna suck with the new 6.4l then as well..cruising with that deep sound then it turns into a v-4 droney sound lol, I'll try to get better clips but it may take awhile as right now there's tons of ice so I'm driving nothing but our 4wd, did you ever think of just turning MDS off on your Challenger? Unless commute on the highway daily, there's really no huge benefit it's giving you. The R/T exhaust system if I recall "is" designed specifically to handle MDS and to reduce the drone that you're talking about when it kicks in, I just totally forgot about that, I'd imagine if you left MDS on and went with a loud good sounding exhaust...whenever the car switched over it'd be annoying...after a quick google a lot of people are complaining about that when they switch exhausts on their R/Ts

#14 ·
Thanks Earl. Sounded pretty good. Did MDS activate or were you in auto-stick the whole time?

#15 ·
Auto stick. I can hear the engine under 45 mph when operating on 4 cyl but not too much. What matters to me is that when I want to hear it, I can. When I don't, for the most part, I won't except at highway speeds or under acceleration, there really isn't much you can do to keep from hearing the engine above 17-1800 RPM or so.

#17 ·
I have a 2006 Charger and 2011 Challenger.
I had the Flowmaster American Thunder catback w/ 44's and the 2 smaller rear mufflers on the Charger. One of the rear mufflers rusted out..(had the system on for 4 years)
There was drone already, but removed both the rears and drone was really annoying. Now there is debate which are the resonators, which are the mufflers on our stock system. I believe the suitcase is a resonator and the rears are the mufflers..just an opinion and really makes no difference.
Today I had the 2 44's cut out and inserted straight pipe. I have headers and free flow cats as well. MDS delete with Predator.
I had 2 Flowmaster Delta 50's placed behind the tips.
Result is that the tone of the Delta is a lot smoother/deeper than the 44's.
Placing the mufflers at the rear got rid of 99% of the cabin drone/noise.
WOT sounds mean as hell.
The 3 chambered Deltas were the best way to control the drone without any resos and still have the flowmaster sound. I had magnaflows at first but the sound was unimpressive.
I will post a sound clip video this weekend.

I will most likely cut out the rear mufflers on the Challenger put on the Deltas, keep the suitcase on, see how that sounds..if I get the tone I want without drone.. done deal, if not remove suitcase.
Ill post that as well for comparisons.
macbroker

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.