Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was set on the MBRP or Zoomers, but I have to say, Flowmaster sounds the best to me. I've had it on previous cars and have never been disappointed. I assumed that only Mustangs sounded good with them, but I've heard some clips of Challengers with them, and they sound perfect. Deep, throaty, and that signature "tinny" Flowmaster sound.

I noticed the American Thunder system is much cheaper than anything Zoomers or MBRP has. My question is this, with the T409 stainless system on the American Thunder, would I have to worry about the actual pipes rusting through after awhile (car will be driven all seasons), or will I just have surface rust? I can deal with surface rust under my car, but just wanted to be sure the T409 will actually hold up.

I've also read about people having the battles break in the muffler! Maybe I should pay more for a better quality system, I don't know. I LOVE the sound of Flowmaster.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump :browsmiley:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
From what I've read 409 stainless can develop surface rust, but isn't supposed to rust through. Personally I don't understand why, but like I said, thats what I've read.

Your description of the sound was perfect: deep, throaty, with signature Flowmaster sound.:bigthumb: I know what you mean since I just recently switched out the tail pipe sections of my Flowmaster Force II system (tail pipes had resonators built in) for the tail pipes of the American Thunder system. So I guess you could call it an American Thunder hybrid system (Force II's have super 44's instead of 40's) now, LOL. My car sounded good before, but now it sounds great!:browsmiley:.

I know there were issues a couple of years ago with Flowmasters internal baffles breaking loose inside certain mufflers, but I haven't heard anything recently (fingers crossed). If that problem rears its head, I'll be switching to either a Solo or Magnaflow system.:guiness:

·
Registered
710 Posts
I too have had Flowmaster Systems on many of my cars. When I had my 05 Mustang GT I went to Pypes Violators because the Flowmaster kits were breaking baffles loose. I didn't like the sound of the Violators and went back to the old faithfull Flowmasters and had no problem with them. I have the American Thunder on my 09 Challenger R/T and to me it has the sound of my 69 Camaro that had a built up small block in it and was running the American Thunder System on it also. For the price of some of these other systems you can buy 3 sets of Flowmaster Systems. Who cares if it's polished out or not.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How would your rate the loudness on your new "American Thunder" catback. I get all the work done on my car by a private mechanic and he said to go with Magnaflow or Borla. I told him I want that signature tinny sound, which sounds the best. The reason he said no to Flow is that they would be "annoyingly loud." This is totally subjective of course. I LOVE a loud exhaust, but not ear splittingly loud. Would how your rate yours?

Thanks

·
Registered
710 Posts
When I first put them on I noticed people knew you were coming before you got there but they are not obnoxiously loud by no means. I've always loved the sound of Flowmasters they have a unique sound. When I had my Camaro I had run both the Force II and American Thunder systems and when I started the car up at cruises or shows the American Thunders really turned heads. Since the first time I ran the American Thunder Systems I have never run a Force II system again.

How would your rate the loudness on your new "American Thunder" catback. I get all the work done on my car by a private mechanic and he said to go with Magnaflow or Borla. I told him I want that signature tinny sound, which sounds the best. The reason he said no to Flow is that they would be "annoyingly loud." This is totally subjective of course. I LOVE a loud exhaust, but not ear splittingly loud. Would how your rate yours?

Thanks

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have the american thunder on my R/T auto and love the sound! I also have the Super 44s instead of the super 40s! Nice Deep Muscle Car sound!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts

Thanks
Omaha, I'm not sure if you're asking me this question or Hemi.....but here goes anyway.

It is definitely louder than it was but not overly loud....very subjective like you said. I would equate it with being just as loud as my wifes Mustang GT (has Borla S-type mufflers). The only downside to it (compared to Force II setup) is that there is noticeable drone at around 2000-2200 rpm. Not a big deal for me really. The 40's that come with the American Thunder system are less drony than the 44's I'm using, based on what the Flowmaster guy told me. Still, I'm very happy with the overall sound.:)

You mentioned your mechanic suggested Magnaflow or Borla. If every exhaust system were to cost exactly the same amount (which they don't), I would get the Borla in a heartbeat, hands down, no contest:browsmiley: I absolutley love the sound of that exhaust, however their catback systems are too d*mn expensive:notallthere: as far as I'm concerned.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Omaha, I'm not sure if you're asking me this question or Hemi.....but here goes anyway.

It is definitely louder than it was but not overly loud....very subjective like you said. I would equate it with being just as loud as my wifes Mustang GT (has Borla S-type mufflers). The only downside to it (compared to Force II setup) is that there is noticeable drone at around 2000-2200 rpm. Not a big deal for me really. The 40's that come with the American Thunder system are less drony than the 44's I'm using, based on what the Flowmaster guy told me. Still, I'm very happy with the overall sound.:)

You mentioned your mechanic suggested Magnaflow or Borla. If every exhaust system were to cost exactly the same amount (which they don't), I would get the Borla in a heartbeat, hands down, no contest:browsmiley: I absolutley love the sound of that exhaust, however their catback systems are too d*mn expensive:notallthere: as far as I'm concerned.
Thank you for this feedback! I think what you are describing is exactly what I'm looking for. No matter what V8, I think Flowmasters sound the best, hands down.

The real concern is the loudness and quality. I would rather not have to worry about baffles breaking through my muffler, than having to go back to my mechanic and have him charge me time to replace the mufflers. That is my one BIG qualm with Flowmaster. I have done searches online and the rusting out of baffles is fairly common.

I could save and get a Borla/Mopar exhaust. But what sort of system does Borla use? I would prefer the most aggressive system. Usually Borlas are quiet, I don't hear too many people with loud Borla exhausts. If the Mopar/Borla exhaust has a nice loud rumble at all speeds, I may save the cash for it. Would be great to hear it in person though.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Thank you for this feedback! I think what you are describing is exactly what I'm looking for. No matter what V8, I think Flowmasters sound the best, hands down.

The real concern is the loudness and quality. I would rather not have to worry about baffles breaking through my muffler, than having to go back to my mechanic and have him charge me time to replace the mufflers. That is my one BIG qualm with Flowmaster. I have done searches online and the rusting out of baffles is fairly common.

I could save and get a Borla/Mopar exhaust. But what sort of system does Borla use? I would prefer the most aggressive system. Usually Borlas are quiet, I don't hear too many people with loud Borla exhausts. If the Mopar/Borla exhaust has a nice loud rumble at all speeds, I may save the cash for it. Would be great to hear it in person though.
I wasn't aware that baffles were still breaking off in the Flowmaster mufflers:headbang: :disgust:
Did you ever hear a car with the Borla S-type muffler/exhaust system on their car? A lot of Mustangs have these (they call them stinger exhausts). The Mopar exhaust uses the Borla street series muffler, which is more mild than the S-type. The ATAK is supposed to be even more aggressive than the S-type. If I were to get the Borla, it would most definitely be the s-type; good combination of volume and deep rumble.
One last thought. Unless you want a Mopar exhaust specifically for your car, I would stay away from it due to its price. The regular Borla's are expensive, the Mopar is outrageous (unless you can find a very kind parts guy:)). Generally you can get the same exhaust (sans Mopar logo tips) from a vendor for a better price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts