Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a Flowmaster 40 series single in dual out custom system done on my car. It looks good and sounds good... until I get down on the gas. When I do it makes this ricey honda import tuner sound. I've been trying to capture it on video but it's hardly audible on the playback video. Which is odd because the noise is extremely loud. And it doesn't always do it which also makes it harder to capture. I've done the throttle calibration and removing the battery terminal to see if these things would make a difference but they don't. Is this just how flowmasters sound on the V6 challenger or what? :scratchhead:

Here's how they sound at warm start and drive off

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem isn't in that video, thats just how it sounds normally. I've been trying to capture some video of how the inside of the car sounds while driving but you can't hear it. I'll try to take some better vids in a quiet area

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have Blastin Bob's generic flowmaster + Y pipe with no resos and it sounds great. I don't have any awful high pitched noise. Maybe it being a custom dual exit on yours has something to do with it? I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SE
717 Posts
I think that is just how the V6 sounds, I had a 92 z34 that had factory duels and it had a real raspy sound to it. I have a regular R/T exhaust on mine and I like the way it sounds.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep, I know exactly what you are talking about. That's why I went Magnaflow. I wanted a "low drone sound", and Flowmaster has too much rice on the V6. Magnaflow has a hint as well, but it's not as much as the Flowmaster.

·
Registered
205 Posts
flowmasters are built on resonance. what you have to watch, is that the 40 seies is LOUD. it is their second loudest "standard" muffler. i had one on a 5.3 tahoe. the sound was stimulating... simply sexy.... but, at 2200-2400 rpm, the drone in the interior was horrendous. after 2 years, i pulled it. it now resides under my '07 JK wrangler. with this engine, it is still resonant, but around 2400-2500 rpm. only slghtly buzy.

now, i have experienced an occasional "loud" sound while accelerating at WOT. its very loud and seems to come from the intake only.

if its a problem with the muffler, it will get a little louder over time. if it does and you want to stay with a flowmaster, a 50 series may be a quieter option.

this link has a diagram with the flowmaster mufflers. it shows a comparison between them on the likely interior/exterior sound levels that you can expect.
Flowmaster Super 44 - Two Chamber Mufflers

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Finally got a vid of the sound all after the fact. The sound that you hear is actually way louder than whats on the vid but the camera is crappy and the windows are up

Thank for the replies guys I was hoping it was something that could be fixed since it didn't always make the sound but the flowmasters may have to go. I think my down fall was listening to all the youtube videos of the flowmaster which sounded great but none of them actually had the car in motion most were just start-up and rev vids.

Bad thing is I added a Predator with a 93oct tune... and I think it made the problem worse smh Im going to have to hold off on headers until I can get this car situated:(

·
Registered
205 Posts
so, what youre talking about is the drone?

that "urrrrr" sound? got a glimpse of the tach, at about 2100 rpm, right??
thats the same thing that made me pull the Flowmaster off the tahoe. its now on my Wrangler, but it aint near as bad.

that resonance is completely a charachteristic of the 40 series. the 50, i'm told, doesnt have it. i've heard it suggested that at 10 series can be used as a resonator to dull it a little, but i'm not sure. never heard it myself.

i have only minor drone in the wrangler, and its a convertible... with that same 40 series. when i had a 40 series on a grand cherokee with the 4.0 six, it was not loud, no drone and it sounded beautiful at WOT. using that muffler is a gamble.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think it's the Flowmasters...I had a set in my 71 big block and between 2000 and 2500, which was cruising speed...you just wanted to kill yourself the noise was so annoying...

·
Banned
3,777 Posts
disconnect the pipes - have muffler shop cut second outlet hole in rear of muffler - weld back up - takes that high pitch 6 banger Honda sound out of the equation under acceleration

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the 50 series. I started with just the muffler then went to a 12" glass pack as a res. Works pretty good but has the 2100 rpm drone. Not bad but noticable. I like the way the full bore sounds but like you said have yet to hear an interior vid on it. good luck with yours. Are you using a resinator or straight pipe? If so, what kind. R/T or flowmaster?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
disconnect the pipes - have muffler shop cut second outlet hole in rear of muffler - weld back up - takes that high pitch 6 banger Honda sound out of the equation under acceleration
I don't understand what you mean, it's already a single in dual out muffler

I have the 50 series. I started with just the muffler then went to a 12" glass pack as a res. Works pretty good but has the 2100 rpm drone. Not bad but noticable. I like the way the full bore sounds but like you said have yet to hear an interior vid on it. good luck with yours. Are you using a resinator or straight pipe? If so, what kind. R/T or flowmaster?
it's just the one muffler with no resonators

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have Flowmaster 40s on my Dakota and it sounds great (albeit, it's a 318 V8). No drone, and at highway speeds it's barely louder than the OEM muffler. When accelerating you definitely know it's not the stock exhaust, however. :) Personally, I don't care for the sound V6s make with loud exhaust, and if I had an SE I would just go with the R/T auto system (purely for appearance).

Luckily for me I find the stock 6-speed R/T system to be intoxicating so no exhaust upgrade is in my plans for my Challenger.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have a 2010 se with 40 series flowmasters no resonators 2.5" dual 1 in 2 out. I love the sound. There is a little noise on acceleration but not terrible.

Pretty simple. If you don't like loud don't get the loudest mufflers a company makes. go with 50 series. You can't get loud some of the time. If you want that muscle car sound you get it all the time or none of the time. No in between.

Personally I recommend the 40 series. Mine doesn't sound ricey at all. And for 630$ installed with them modifying my bumper I couldn't be happier. 2.5" cat back dual 40 series fm and double round tips.

Now if anyone knows a way to upgrade to push button start let me know please

1 - 16 of 16 Posts