Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Good:
Definately a better sound than the stock exhaust. At WOT it has good tone, not too loud inside the car. At idle at a stop light it's relatively quite, nice mellow rumble. The power seems to come on smooth and rev up the way it should.

The Bad:
For a 50 series muffler, it can get loud inside the car. It's not harsh or raspy, but there's a definate drone between 1500 and 2000 rpm (highway cruizing). At part throttle, stop and go city driving, interior drone can get a bit annoying. If you like driving with music playing softly in the background, you probably won't like the interior sound of this system. You might not even like it if you blast metal or hip-hop (or whatever...)

The Ugly:
Cutting the stock exhaust essentially renders it useless. There's no going back to stock unless you weld or clamp it (assuming you keep it around, just in case...) Also, it looks ok except for the tips that come with it. The bulbuous round tips just don't look right, in my opinion. (I've got a pair of slash-cut straight chrome tips I'm going to clamp on for now.)

The Verdict:
Too soon to tell. Either I'll get used to it, or not. But yet another "expectation" marred by reality. If this is suppose to be a "quite" system, I can't imagine what a loud system would sound like.

Anyone in the Chi-Town area selling a take off from an R/T?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Grats on your system.

Got any pics? Possibly even a vid of inside and out with sound?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I really liked the system. In January I removed the 50 series and had a 2 in 2 out super 40 installed. No interior drone and little more aggressive sound. Perfect for me!

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
If possible do a video. The flowmasters I have heard on the 3.5L sound great. Some say "its never going to sound like a v8", but I somewhat disagree. In my opinion, my 5.7L is lacking the sound the big blocks make so it really doesnt have that "v8 muscle sound". That said, flowmasters on the 3.5L sound close enough to the average V8 to an untrained ear, many would think its a v8.

To me flowmasters on a 3.5L sound better than a stock srt-8. If you are goign for that agressive sounding sports car sound.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm starting to get use to the new sound, but it's still a bit much at times.

there seems to be an low rpm rumble especially under load...like when you're moving along in slow traffic and just hitting the throttle hard enough to pick up some speed.

I'm looking at that dynomax VT™ Muffler for my flowmaster cat back. unfortunately, the dynomax - 1 to 2 - is three inches longer than the flowmaster and it's got a 3" input as opposed to the flowmaster's 2.5" in, so i'd have to get some sort of transition pipe, 2.5 to 3, and cut back the flow's rear pipes to make it fit---don't know if it would work...

the magnaflow 1 to 2 is another option, but I don't know if the outputs are spaced far enough apart... the flow's outs are 5" on center in a 17'' x 10'' x 5'' case whereas the magnas case is 5in.x8in.x18 but i don't know where the center of the outs would be. if it's 5" that'd be golden. i'd try that

here's some pics of my dirty little black girl:

I didn't care for the flowmaster tips... too bulbuous. the slash cut straight tips look much better, imho. i had to cut and slot 'em to get to the right length. but it works for me, for now. I was thinking of going with a pair of 245 or 255 x 55 x 18 tires for the back to give it an old school type look. 245x55 won't change the speedo at all. the 255x55 will add about 1mph actual speed at 60mph (better gas mileage? :thumbsup:)

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
glad you're happy with the new setup

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
glad you're happy with the new setup

well... not exactly "happy", but getting used to it. as the weather begins to warm up i've been able to drive with the windows opened up somewhat, and have noticed the resonance inside the cabin decrease... (of course i get more 'outside' noise, lol) i can also hear what is sounds like on the outside, especially when driving past any kind of wall or building that reflects the sound back. still sounds like a v6, but it's throaty and not too offensively loud, even at wot

i don't notice any loss in power, but i've been reading many posts on exhaust pipe diameters, and of course the 2.5" dual pipes behind the muffler may be a bit too large for this engine. i think the fact that the muffler is fed by a single 2.5" pipe helps maintain the proper 'exhaust velocity', at least up to the muffler... behind it, i don't know

as i mentioned in my initial post, the most interior drone seems to come on at low speeds, around 30mph between 1500 and 2000 rpm. it seems that the trans might be riding the edge of the 2-3, or 3-4, shift points at that speed and perhaps the low end torque causes some kind of resonance through the muffler... i don't know. maybe someone more engine-tech savy can clue me in on what might be going on. btw, the stock exhaust also had this problem, it's just a bit louder now.

flowmaster's posted dyno chart 'conveniently' leaves out results below 4k. my guess is that there may be some loss of torque down low, but again i haven't noticed any 'seat of the pants' loss in power overall.

unfortunately, for me the worst part of having interior drone is that it interferes with the car's audio system. being a guitarist, i use drive time to listen to, analyze, and memorize tunes (mostly rock/metal). I can turn the volume of the stereo up, but the low rpm drone can punch through moderate stereo volume levels. as it stands, i'm already dealing with tinnitus from years of unprotected band practice (i use ear plugs at practice now to prevent further damage...and no, i'm not gonna use ear plugs while driving, lol).

there's a custom exhaust shop not too far away... i may go talk to them to get an idea of what to do, though i'm not looking forward to spending more $$$ (probably should've gone to them first)

trial and error, i suppose... unfortunately, there seems not to be anyone in the area who's done an exhaust mod on their 3.5 challenger that i could compare it to, so no local help...

love the look though! the straight slash tips and the way the resonators hang just slightly below the rear valence rock! in my opinion. (need some new clamps for the tips, though)

time to go give her a bath...

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
This is where the magnaflow cat back for the v6, and corsa cat back for 5.7-6.4L shines. The magnaflow has enouhg back pressure / packing to nearly eleminate drone while opening it up for better sound and power. The corsa cat back is strtate throug, but has tuning chambers to cansele out the frequencies that are drone, kinda like how bose speakers work.

Nearly everything else will be loud and thats great, but your likley to also have drone.

ITs a hard ballancing act.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I really liked the system. In January I removed the 50 series and had a 2 in 2 out super 40 installed. No interior drone and little more aggressive sound. Perfect for me!
So is this a true dua exhaust then? You ran new pipes between the factory head pipes (down pipes) and the dual inlet 40? That would be really great idea, I'd like to see it and hear it. what pipe size did you use? 2" right? To my mind it would sound like an ideal system, pun intended. You kept the two flowmater resonator / rear muffler with tips that came with the system right?

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=4027&ab=9525454&recordID=&vehicle=&orig=9525454

1 - 9 of 9 Posts