Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I put a flowmaster cat back system on mine it was around $600 and it sounds good its LOUD and droning when its cold but after a couple of minutes the drone goes away and it sounds good but it is LOUD!!! so if your leaving for work at 5 am your neighbors will hate you .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well let me ask this. I'm going to be driving my rt across the states and I want to be heard obviously since I'm in a cool car. But I don't want to be droned out. I can't find any videos on the Flowmaster Pro Series or the 50 Series. I've read that they cause a less amount of drone and they say it sounds good. I'm going to get a resonator delete and I know that will increase some sound but, I don't know which one sounds a little deeper

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
647 Posts
I tried a Borla system without the resonators when I had my ‘11 Challenger R/T (5.7/Auto) and the drone was unbearable. I replaced it with the Mopar/Corsa cat-back system with resonators that eliminated the drone but wasn’t the exact sound I wanted. If I still had that car, I would have gone to the Flowmaster American Thunder system that has resonators.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
110 Posts
Have 100K miles on my Flowmaster cat back American Thunder system, works great with a hint of drone between 2000 and 2300 RPM, just enough to make a healthy bark as you pass a left lane camper on the highway. Also made the car a lot snappier even with the stock cast iron manifolds.
I have a '12 R/T w/5.7 and 6M trans. No MDS on mine!

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I tried a Borla system without the resonators when I had my ‘11 Challenger R/T (5.7/Auto) and the drone was unbearable. I replaced it with the Mopar/Corsa cat-back system with resonators that eliminated the drone but wasn’t the exact sound I wanted. If I still had that car, I would have gone to the Flowmaster American Thunder system that has resonators.
The Force II system has the resonators, the American Thunder does not.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
647 Posts
The Force II system has the resonators, the American Thunder does not.

Thanks for the correction. My memory has made the proverbial trip in a hand basket at Hemi speed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
397 Posts
I went with Flow Master series 40 with resonators deleted 3 months ago and love the sound. Nice and healthy on a 2015 RT.
Where in the system did you have the Flowmasters installed? At the location of the stock mid mufflers? Or at the back where the resonators normally go? Got any audio/video clips? I’m trying to decide on whether to delete my resos.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,324 Posts
I'm running the Flowmaster Force II kit. Great sound and no drone. I would suggest Flowmaster 40's and leave the stock reso's in place. That will be a little louder than my kit and still souldn't have drone...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have Flowmaster Super 40's on my 16 R/t Plus with res delete, and it sounds pretty mean. Like old school muscle car mean. There is some drone but it's not really that disturbing otherwise my wife would have complained about it and she didn't. And it is loud. My wife drove away down the street the other day and I listened and it was pretty bad ass.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Just to chime in here, I had Flowmaster American Thunder's on mine for probably 40,000 miles. The price was right and it sounded good from the outside, but it did drone, even with a 6spd and no mds. I wouldn't say it was unbearable, but when starting from a light to get up to 40-60 mph, it was pretty much in range the whole time, not able to have a convo without raising your voice. On the highway it wasn't too bad unless you get on it to pass, but for mostly city driving, it would drone pretty much the whole time until acceleration leveled off. I had this before going the s/c route.

I used to think the drone wasn't really that bad, until i went with zoomers. Holy crap... i don't know how i dealt with it for 40k miles hah. It's all personal preference, but if i could go back in time i would have never touched the AT. I don't know that i absolutely love zoomers either, kinda farty at times, but it's mean enough sounding and zero drone. believe me, my wife can still hear me when i turn on the street, so they aren't too quiet.

but if you don't mind some drone, they sure do sound good from the outside.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
I too have to say that making any change that induces drone is regrettable at best. I originally installed Blastin' Bobs axle back glasspacks and the drone was painful. Outside, the car sounded great, but it was a guaranteed headache inside. I swapped in a set of Blastin' Bobs magnaflow axle backs and it all but eliminated the drone and still has a nice sound. I understand the need to liven up the oh so quiet stock system, but be careful you don't make an expensive mistake.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts