Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Which setup(s) would you choose, and WHY? (Multi-Choice)

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago I read that longer tailpipes give a "deeper" tone than short pipes. Is this true, what's your thoughts?

Looking to mount Flowmasters (prefer the chambered-muffler sound) under my '10 R/T 6spd and can't decide whether to put them where the forward mufflers/resonators are ... or where the rear mufflers/resonators are, near the bumper.

Want to MINIMIZE drone, and yes, I understand its a compromise between deep tone and interior resonance at cruise speeds, but perhaps your own experiences could guide me in the right direction?

Regarding drone, I also need help deciding which series is the best overall move?

Any and all input is welcome and appreciated. Thanks. :alf:

·
Registered
664 Posts
I had my suitcase replaced over a year ago. Welded at the rear (can't remember if they were 40 or 44 series) and mine is a DD 50/50 highway and city I have zero issues with drone. it def has that deep aggressive sound your after I can try get you a video if you would like.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I had my suitcase replaced over a year ago. Welded at the rear
Isn't the "suitcase" only on Automatic cars? (Your sig says 6spd).
Also, just to clarify, are you saying your Flowmasters were welding into the rear location, or the front location?

(can't remember if they were 40 or 44 series) and mine is a DD 50/50 highway and city I have zero issues with drone. it def has that deep aggressive sound your after I can try get you a video if you would like.
Sure, a video would be nice if you have one. Sound quality on vids rarely equal the real-life human ear. Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might want to keep the resonators of you want to keep drone down
Well, I know for sure what is near the rear bumper/valance needs to go ... BUT, I want to avoid installing mufflers at the rear, then after hearing it decide I need more/or deeper tone, so then I cut the forward pieces out, only to discover I get moderate amounts of drone anyway.

In such an event it would have been better to have the mufflers mounted in the forward location with longer tailpipes.

I guess what I'm saying is, if it is going to drone anyway, might as well get the best tone I can, in which event would probably come from the 44's. I prefer a deep idle over acceleration, because they all make a good tone under load. I hate doing things twice is the main issue here ... I like to choose the best route the first time through, been there, done that, don't want to do it again.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I have the 40s on my car. I have an auto trans. I first removed the suitcase put the mufflers in the place of it left the resenators on the rear & the sound did not change any. So I went & cut the resenators off put in straight pipe out the rear. The sound was good but 70 to 80 MPH you could not hear yourself thing in the car. So a friend told me to put 2 small 12inch glass pack mufflers where the resenators used to be. The glass packs absorb some of the drone noise. I did all of this & came up with the sound I was looking for. My car has that deep old school rumble. I have since put JBA shorty headers & high flow cats on to help it breathe better. If you like the Flowmaster sound & I do this is the perfect setup.

placew of it

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^
Thanks for your input, I am really concerned that putting mufflers at the forward location will yield the same result you experienced (regardless of which series I choose).

If the drone is so bad you can't think ... well hell, that isn't any good!

Perhaps what I will do is weld some in at the rear (hoping drone affects the interior less, due to location further back and the associated soundwaves, and then if its not deep enough, remove the resonators/mufflers up front?

I also typically drive 70-75 with RPM about 16-1800 in 6th gear.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Isn't the "suitcase" only on Automatic cars?

Also, just to clarify, are you saying your Flowmasters were welding into the rear location, or the front location?
Yes your, correct i'm sorry i meant rear mufflers** And there welded at the rear. I do a lot of highway miles same as well and I have no issues with drone. I could take a video of that as well if you'd like, but it'd almost be worthless because I don't have any.

·
Registered
864 Posts
The super 44 is an awesome muffler, had it on another car I had and fellin love with it. Got a video of it on my facebook but not sure how to get it on here.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My setup was originally a Flomaster Force II. I ended up switching out the Force II's resonated rear tail pipes for the American Thunder's straight pipes (which don't have resonators). The tone went from moderate to louder and aggressive.:browsmiley: Unfortunately, however, drone went from none to an 8 or 9:disgust: I really like the overall sound of the super 44's, but the drone is pretty bad, IMO.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up switching out the Force II's resonated rear tail pipes for the American Thunder's straight pipes. The tone went from moderate to aggressive. Unfortunately, however, drone went from none to an 8 or 9:disgust:.
Thanks for your help, that is exactly what I don't want. If a 50 series, without rear resonators, is going to drone, then I'm sure any other muffler welded at the forward location will also. Starting to sound like the rear location is the best?

Years ago I put a Force II system on a 5-liter Mustang, and the first few weeks it was COOL! Then I had to live with it on a day-to-day basis and it became an accoustical nightmare.

I later put a Bassani "street" cat-back on it, and although it was loud too, the soundwaves in the "straight/glasspack" design muffler didn't cause any drone. But I prefer the chambered muffler sound overall... more classic musclecar tone imo.

Tanks muchy!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The super 44 is an awesome muffler, had it on another car I had and fellin love with it. Got a video of it on my facebook but not sure how to get it on here.
Dudemanness, ya gotta hook me up wit da sick vids yo! :pimp:

Its either going to be original 40's or the 44's ... and based on my impressions (from watching videos), I'm leaning towards the 44's tone. But do dat tone bring drone, bro?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes your, correct i'm sorry i meant rear mufflers** And there welded at the rear. I do a lot of highway miles same as well and I have no issues with drone. I could take a video of that as well if you'd like, but it'd almost be worthless because I don't have any.

40's welded to the rear sounds like a winner to me!

... but wait ... what if these guys, who are complaining about drone in the forward location, are only experiencing it because they have automatic cars, which I assume hold a higher cruise speed RPM?

Should I just type a novel?

Well, hopefully this thread will help people in the future too ... and you guys have been a great deal of help ... so here is me extending a huge internet man-hug to all of you. :grouphug:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey man, as u know I replaced the suitcase muffler on my 2010 R/T Auto with Super 44's and deleted the rear resonators. The sound is awesome and exactly what I was looking for. The drone is BAD. Go with the Super 44's - u won't regret it. As for setup - either do the same as mine + add some 12" glass packs at the rear, or delete the suitcase and mount the mufflers at the rear. I believe that the first option is tried and true. The second I'm not as sure about. Can anyone chime in? The obvious issue is keeping that sound and losing the drone.

Peace.

Sean

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hey man, as u know I replaced the suitcase muffler on my 2010 R/T Auto with Super 44's and deleted the rear resonators. The sound is awesome and exactly what I was looking for. The drone is BAD. Go with the Super 44's - u won't regret it. As for setup - either do the same as mine + add some 12" glass packs at the rear, or delete the suitcase and mount the mufflers at the rear. I believe that the first option is tried and true. The second I'm not as sure about. Can anyone chime in? The obvious issue is keeping that sound and losing the drone.

Peace.

Sean
I don't want "BAD" drone, as most of my miles are at cruising speeds (1500-2000rpm). It seems placing the mufflers in the forward location (and even the stock units), while removing the rear resonators, causes the dreaded drone - to varying degrees of course.

I think the best approach is to put the mufflers at the rear, and leave the front "suitcase" (automatic cars) or "bottle" (6spd) units in place. If it is not loud enough, then hack the forward unit(s) and replace with straight tubing.

In the forward location, it seems the large sheetmetal underbelly, and that close proximity to the mufflers, is what causes the increased interior drone; where as the rear has a little more "breathing room" and sound waves can exit to the rear easier, rather than bouncing off the road and back into the sheetmetal, wash, rinse, repeat ... in theory of course.

Would be nice for a few more people to chime in with their rear muffler only experiences, so we can at least develop a concensus. :scratchhead:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can offer my two cents on this after spending more than I wanted on my exhaust. I have a six speed RT as well. As of a week ago, I am running flowmaster 10's in the front location along with an X Pipe and Blastin Bob glasspacks in the back. I initially was running the glasspacks with the stock front bottle mufflers and H pipe but it had a piercing drone at 2000rpm that i could not tolerate. I then replaced the bottle mufflers with Bassani oval race mufflers and an X Pipe in place of the H; the drone was gone but the car was too quiet. I then went to the muffler shop with the intention of replacing the Bassani's with 40 series Flowmasters, but the muffler shop mocked up the 40 series, turned the car on and let me hear it, and then did the same with the 10 series flowmasters; find the right shop and they can do this as well if you are debating between a 40 original, super seies, 50 etc. I am finally happy with my exhaust. It is loud while driving and it took a couple days to get used to it, but the peircing drone that occurred at 2000rpm with the stock mufflers and the glasspacks is gone. IMO, you will need some form of resonator if you do not want the drone.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I spoke with Flowmaster today to see if they had any input on the 40's/44's 409s/force II and possible set ups to get the best sound with little to no droning. I did mention using the glass pack solution as well and the response was that they have heard of droning issues with the 409s and that the glass pack 'fix' if you planed to own the car very long wasn't a good idea. I asked why that was and they responded that the issue with glass packs is that after a year or so the packing would burn out and you'd have to replace them or you'd be right back to the droning issue. TBH I hadn't really thought of that until he mentioned it.

That being said, he did mention that they did sell the Hush Power mufflers that could possibly replace the glass pack idea. I however believe that would deaden the exhaust to much and be right back to near factory sound.

I meant to inquire about the rear mounting of the 44s but I forgot to, maybe I'll call them back and see if they've had any feedback from that mounting location.

Hopefully we'll see a real solution for this classic muscle sound and droning issue in the near future.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts

Peace.

Sean
The 40s & the glass packs as I posted earlier are the best set up if you do not want any drone. I have already done the putting on & taking off to get a quality sound. Those 2 glass packs act as a small resonator to kill the drone. The glass packs do not change the sound of the Flowmaster. I get asked all the time what kind of exhaust are you running everyone that heres it loves it. You can play around with different setups but if you go with Flowmasters this is the best sound you will come up with.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I spoke with Flowmaster today ............. he did mention that they did sell the Hush Power mufflers that could possibly replace the rear glass pack idea.

Hush Powers = Magnaflow = not my cup o' tea.

With longtubes, an x pipe and such, they would sound "racy", but on a classic d/d musclecar, they're just not for me.

I would like to see and hear about Super 44's at the rear ... cause I'm leaning in that die-rection.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those 2 glass packs act as a small resonator to kill the drone. The glass packs do not change the sound of the Flowmaster.
I'm surprised the exhaust doesn't expel any of that glasspack sound ... that is good to know ... but then again, one of the original posters on this thread said his 40's welded at the rear location, with straights welded into the forward, yields zero interior drone.

I don't know, its tough what all to believe on an internet forum, and people usually leave so many details out that it remains a guessing game.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts