Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Matt, it was good speaking with you today. As I mentioned in another post in the bolton's section, pertaining to the new American Thunder and Outlaw systems for the 2015 Scats, SRT's and Hellcats, I am sure that myself and others have the question of how you folks got around the integrated butterfly valve part of the stock exhaust. Main reason being is that there are plug in wires to those actuators on the valves. Hopefully you can get with your Tech team and get back to us. I know Pypes and also Zoomers are also claiming they have new systems coming out but no one is saying how they worked around those factory valves and wiring. Thanks

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matt, it was good speaking with you today. As I mentioned in another post in the bolton's section, pertaining to the new American Thunder and Outlaw systems for the 2015 Scats, SRT's and Hellcats, I am sure that myself and others have the question of how you folks got around the integrated butterfly valve part of the stock exhaust. Main reason being is that there are plug in wires to those actuators on the valves. Hopefully you can get with your Tech team and get back to us. I know Pypes and also Zoomers are also claiming they have new systems coming out but no one is saying how they worked around those factory valves and wiring. Thanks
Thanks for the question! I am glad that you brought this up because it is something that needed to be addressed. Both our American Thunder and Outlaw systems have an extension plate where the actuators from the stock system mount. You don't have to unplug anything. Basically, our system just relocates the actuator away from the pipe. Because they are still plugged in and able to actuate, although they will not open or close a valve, your car won't know that anything has been altered. Here is a link to our install instructions that will show you exactly how this works.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey Matt, i just installed this system today and its throwing a check engine light for the accuators. Have you all ran into this problem and if so, how did you all fix it?

Thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've run into the same problem. Plus the car runs like crap when you get on it a few times. Like its cutting the ignition or fuel. Weird popping and hesitation under hard acceleration. Been in the shop twice, Monday and Tuesday. The exhaust is coming off today as I type and the stock is going back on.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Not a fan of the tips. One because the Hellcat has no chrome on it at all. The chrome tips seem out of place when everything else is blacked out. And 2 I like the look of the factory tips.

Are they welded on? If so can we order a system from you with factory looking tips?

I have used Flowmaster on my 2 other Challengers mainly just due to the factory style tips. I used your kit with my '11 R/T then I always used Flowmaster on my '12 SRT. I would hate to have to part ways with Flowmaster exhuast systems (been using you guy since I was 16) just due to the tips.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Matt, i just installed this system today and its throwing a check engine light for the accuators. Have you all ran into this problem and if so, how did you all fix it?

Thanks,
Sam
I've run into the same problem. Plus the car runs like crap when you get on it a few times. Like its cutting the ignition or fuel. Weird popping and hesitation under hard acceleration. Been in the shop twice, Monday and Tuesday. The exhaust is coming off today as I type and the stock is going back on.
I'm sorry to hear that you guys have had codes thrown after your installs. Make sure that the actuators are properly mounted on the brackets. If the springs are not seated correctly up against the stops, they can throw a code.

Not a fan of the tips. One because the Hellcat has no chrome on it at all. The chrome tips seem out of place when everything else is blacked out. And 2 I like the look of the factory tips.

Are they welded on? If so can we order a system from you with factory looking tips?

I have used Flowmaster on my 2 other Challengers mainly just due to the factory style tips. I used your kit with my '11 R/T then I always used Flowmaster on my '12 SRT. I would hate to have to part ways with Flowmaster exhuast systems (been using you guy since I was 16) just due to the tips.
Thank you for your continued support! The tips on this system are welded and we do not currently offer any other options. If you were so inclined, you could swap the tips out for the stock ones, but this would require a bit of fabrication.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Matt, I had a well known custom muffler shop, actually they do quite a bit of flowmaster systems, install my system. Dropped off Monday, picked up at closing. Got 3 miles down the road and the check engine lite came on. Dropped back off Tuesday, they read the code, came up with 2, actuator problem and take to dealer(or something like that). They found one actuator wasn't seated properly, fixed it and check engine light went away(fantastic)! Drove home about an 40 mile ride. Tried some full throttle pulls up to about 60mph. After the 3rd one I noticed the exhaust tone changed, a couple more and the car started missing and farting to the point that it sounded like something was seriously wrong with the motor. The car had a molten metal burn smell(like the thing was on fire), pulled over to rest it and check under the car. Everything looked fine and no check engine light came on. Limped home and put it away for the night. Wednesday started up fine no code, drove to the end of my driveway and check engine light came on. Drove for another 40 miles or so to see if the check engine light would clear, still running like crap after a few full throttle test to 60 mph. Took it back to the shop to have the system removed and stock put back on. I'll post up the results tomorrow. The shop that did mine said they had the same problem with a corvette throwing codes. Switch to a different exhaust system and never had a problem again. I really love the flowmasters cambered sound, I hope to get this resolved.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Matt, I had a well known custom muffler shop, actually they do quite a bit of flowmaster systems, install my system. Dropped off Monday, picked up at closing. Got 3 miles down the road and the check engine lite came on. Dropped back off Tuesday, they read the code, came up with 2, actuator problem and take to dealer(or something like that). They found one actuator wasn't seated properly, fixed it and check engine light went away(fantastic)! Drove home about an 40 mile ride. Tried some full throttle pulls up to about 60mph. After the 3rd one I noticed the exhaust tone changed, a couple more and the car started missing and farting to the point that it sounded like something was seriously wrong with the motor. The car had a molten metal burn smell(like the thing was on fire), pulled over to rest it and check under the car. Everything looked fine and no check engine light came on. Limped home and put it away for the night. Wednesday started up fine no code, drove to the end of my driveway and check engine light came on. Drove for another 40 miles or so to see if the check engine light would clear, still running like crap after a few full throttle test to 60 mph. Took it back to the shop to have the system removed and stock put back on. I'll post up the results tomorrow. The shop that did mine said they had the same problem with a corvette throwing codes. Switch to a different exhaust system and never had a problem again. I really love the flowmasters cambered sound, I hope to get this resolved.
I must stress that it is critical that the actuators and springs be oriented/indexed/mounted properly. That is almost certainly the cause of any issues. I do not doubt that the shop that installed your system is reputable, but the install instructions for this system must be followed to a T or you will throw a code. Below are the install instructions. Please take notice of the actuator mounting steps, including the use of the washer and spacer. If your shop followed the instructions exactly and the problem persisted, please have the shop call our Customer Service Line at (707) 544-4761.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The picture install places washers differently than the video and also doesn't say what to do with 3 rd washer but video placed two against mount on exhaust then one after spacer I would think it doesn't matter but something does because I've tried several times and can't seem to get check engine light off

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The picture install places washers differently than the video and also doesn't say what to do with 3 rd washer but video placed two against mount on exhaust then one after spacer I would think it doesn't matter but something does because I've tried several times and can't seem to get check engine light off
Thank you for pointing that out, Chris. The video instructions are correct. We have also updated the instructions for this kit (shown above) and on our website to reflect what is shown in the video. We apologize for any trouble or confusion that this may have caused. As always, never hesitate to contact our Tech Line at 707-544-4761 for further support.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Exhaust Tips

I have this same system for my 2013 SRT Challenger and my exhuast tips keep having to be welded on because they seem to get loose and rattle. Is there a way for me to order just the quad tips for my challenger?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok so I called tech support again I'm having same issue followed every step to the t from the video they are installed exactly as the video shows followed what little steps could get from tech support and same thing check engine light with code p1217 p121b tryed clearing code redoing actuators unhooking battery like tech support told me and yet as soon as drive down road light comes back on I've gotten under car watched the actuators seem to be working fine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you ever figure out the exhaust problem I'm having a hard time with mine

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have this same system for my 2013 SRT Challenger and my exhuast tips keep having to be welded on because they seem to get loose and rattle. Is there a way for me to order just the quad tips for my challenger?
Tharvey04,

Your Outlaw system is covered by Flowmaster's lifetime limited warranty. If you are having issues with your tips, please give our customer service department a call at 707-544-4761 and we'll make sure that you are taken care of.

Ok so I called tech support again I'm having same issue followed every step to the t from the video they are installed exactly as the video shows followed what little steps could get from tech support and same thing check engine light with code p1217 p121b tryed clearing code redoing actuators unhooking battery like tech support told me and yet as soon as drive down road light comes back on I've gotten under car watched the actuators seem to be working fine
chrisscatpack2015,

After seeing your post, we had one of our techs reach out to you. Please give Brandon a call back at 707-544-4761 ext. 440 so that he can help you try and nail down the cause of this issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts