Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Which performance aftermarket radiator do you prefer?

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being that high-quality factory radiator is leaking at 5 years (46k miles), I am looking at possibly purchasing an aftermarket all aluminum radiator. I do 2-3 HPDE track events a year and I also don't want to have to deal with changing the radiator out again due to poor quality/design.

I am looking at either getting a Mishimoto or Fluidyne radiator. I am leaning towards the Mishimoto due to the lifetime warranty. The Fluidyne piqued my interest due to it being a three-row design (vs two-row like Mishimoto). However, I realize that "rows" don't necessarily equal better cooling and that fin surface area, thickness, etc all play a role in cooling efficiency.

Does anyone have an aftermarket performance radiator installed? If so, what brand? What do you like/dislike? Any problems with the installation?

Also, are there any other brands that I should be considering?

Mishimoto Dodge Challenger R/T 392, Scat Pack, SRT, Hellcat Performance Aluminum Radiator, 2008, 2011+

Fluidyne FHP13x-DGE 17 09-16 Challenger,Charger, 300 Rad

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,657 Posts
I have a Fluidyne in my Shaker, and it does its job perfectly.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Mishimoto is china-metal cores slapped together, often poorly, in the US.

Skip that.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mishimoto is china-metal cores slapped together, often poorly, in the US.

Skip that.
Where did you hear this? Is the aluminum subpar? China has a lot of crap that they send to the US, however, they also have a lot of high-quality stuff as well. The quality depends on the purchasing company giving clear requirements and doing proper QA.

I've been searching online and have found people for and against Mishimoto and Fluidyne. I like the Mishimoto due to the fact that it comes with a lifetime warranty that includes accident protection. The Fluidyne only has a one year warranty which makes me nervous. If Fluidyne truly believes in their product, then they should back it up with a longer warranty. However, it seems the Fluidyne is slightly larger (width and thickness) and has three rows instead of two.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,688 Posts
I am running a Mishimoto for about >1 year. Paid $465 shipped. It is meant for a scat but I was able to fit it on my RT (different size inlet/outlet and needed to fab a small bracket to hold the AC condenser). Thread is below.

Even Mishimoto says it performs on par with the OEM radiator. Sounds like the only benefit is all aluminum tanks...provided they are welded properly. I saw no build quality issues on my radiator...welds look like stacked coins everywhere. I removed the front clip to install mine...way easier to work on it and it minimized bent fins.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Where did you hear this? Is the aluminum subpar? China has a lot of crap that they send to the US, however, they also have a lot of high-quality stuff as well. The quality depends on the purchasing company giving clear requirements and doing proper QA.
.provided they are welded properly.
These tend to be the bigger issues. Endtanks leaking due to poor weld penetration between the core and the endtanks. I had one on another platform, and this problem seems to pop up on every platform in some respect.

I've been searching online and have found people for and against Mishimoto and Fluidyne. I like the Mishimoto due to the fact that it comes with a lifetime warranty
Is this where I quote Tommy Boy?

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These tend to be the bigger issues. Endtanks leaking due to poor weld penetration between the core and the endtanks. I had one on another platform, and this problem seems to pop up on every platform in some respect.

Ah this is good to know. Further research does indeed show there have been quite a few incidents with Mishimoto units. Some of the increase can most likely is due to them being more popular, however, I don't want to take a chance if I don't have to. A lifetime warranty doesn't do much if I to pull my front end off repeatedly. I'm going to reach out to Fluidyne today and see if they have something in stock. They are listed cheaper on Summit but it states it won't ship until another few weeks. I need it sooner than that if possible.

·
Super Moderator
15,989 Posts
I've removed radiators from Challengers - they drop out from below. You have to split the a/c condenser / p/s cooler combo unit off the radiator.

Fan / shroud assembly is removed first then the condenser, then the radiator.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,688 Posts
Only if you have a little coat. 🤡

As for the end tanks I will take my chances with metal...I have had 5 radiators with plastic ends crack/leak on me...1 on a jeep YJ, 2 on a jeep KJ, 1 on a jeep WJ and now one on a jeep WK2. Maybe it IS a jeep thing. :unsure:

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,657 Posts
Ah this is good to know. Further research does indeed show there have been quite a few incidents with Mishimoto units. Some of the increase can most likely is due to them being more popular, however, I don't want to take a chance if I don't have to. A lifetime warranty doesn't do much if I to pull my front end off repeatedly. I'm going to reach out to Fluidyne today and see if they have something in stock. They are listed cheaper on Summit but it states it won't ship until another few weeks. I need it sooner than that if possible.
I got mine from HHP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts