Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,695 Posts
That's what the hose diagram indicates. Unless the diagram I looked at corresponds to a different vehicle? Wouldn't be the first time, that's for sure.
ah hell, go with what the document says...besides, nothing I have to say about these Dodge LX cooling system should be trusted, I am running GM Dexcool coolant in both my Dodge Hemi’s. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I do not know what if any "damage" using HOAT anti freeze can do to a cooling system. Obviously any bad cooling system components should be replaced after the system is drained and before any flushing or final refill is done.
3. CAREFUL, HOAT DOESN’T PLAY NICE
On the surface, it seems like a hybrid between IAT and OAT would be compatible with either, but that’s not the case. They may share similar names, but the chemical recipe is different enough that manufacturers do not recommend mixing them. Doing so potentially limits your coolant’s effectiveness in doing its job and can greatly reduce the lifespan. And as mentioned earlier, it might actually gunk up the system. This is true even if you’ve drained the coolant from an engine — it’s not so easy as to just add a different type because traces of the old type remain and cling to passageways.

·
Premium Member
7,695 Posts
3. CAREFUL, HOAT DOESN’T PLAY NICE
On the surface, it seems like a hybrid between IAT and OAT would be compatible with either, but that’s not the case. They may share similar names, but the chemical recipe is different enough that manufacturers do not recommend mixing them. Doing so potentially limits your coolant’s effectiveness in doing its job and can greatly reduce the lifespan. And as mentioned earlier, it might actually gunk up the system. This is true even if you’ve drained the coolant from an engine — it’s not so easy as to just add a different type because traces of the old type remain and cling to passageways.

My 2012 spec’d HOAT, but after an especially frustrating night which saw me having to completely refill the cooling system 3 times, I swore off HOAT. It’s too expensive and too hard to find at 1am on a Sunday in the sticks. Drained it all out the next day, flushed with citric acid and water, then water, then another with water only, before finally refilling with GM Dexcool. I can find that stuff for half the price of the HOAT just about anywhere that sells coolant.

My 2014 spec’d Dodge OAT, but since I still had some Dexcool left from the 2012 drain and fill, so as soon as I needed to drain the coolant in it (water pump replace?) I just flushed the system twice and refilled with dexcool.

Reactions: Sweet Orange Hemi

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
ah hell, go with what the document says...besides, nothing I have to say about these Dodge LX cooling system should be trusted, I am running GM Dexcool coolant in both my Dodge Hemi’s. 🤷‍♂️
By what I've researched to so far, as long as the Dexcool is OAT, you're AOK.

Check this...

·
Premium Member
7,695 Posts
There is one thing I know for a fact - the Dexcool tastes much better (though still not ‘good’) than the Dodge equivalent or the G5 HOAT they sell around here!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
There is one thing I know for a fact - the Dexcool tastes much better (though still not ‘good’) than the Dodge equivalent or the G5 HOAT they sell around here!
😆(y)

·
Registered
134 Posts

Image in head...

Nuke lying on garage floor with garden hose stuck in rad and sucking like there’s no tomorrow trying to siphon the rad and getting a mouthful 🤣🤣🤣. You crack me up Nuke!!

·
Premium Member
7,695 Posts
Image in head...

Nuke lying on garage floor with garden hose stuck in rad and sucking like there’s no tomorrow trying to siphon the rad and getting a mouthful 🤣🤣🤣. You crack me up Nuke!!
Hey now, even I know drinking antifreeze is bad for you! But given my go-to method for purging the air out of a freshly filled 5.7L Hemi (French kiss the coolant reservoir fill hole and BLOW!), and the insane number of times I’ve had to completely refill the coolant system on my Hemi’s (over a dozen by now), I’m gonna taste me some antifreeze for sure!

Speaking of antifreeze tastes, I’ll go on record as saying that G-05 HOAT you get at the local parts stores is the most foul tasting antifreeze of them all! And I’ll fight any man that says different!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey now, even I know drinking antifreeze is bad for you! But given my go-to method for purging the air out of a freshly filled 5.7L Hemi (French kiss the coolant reservoir fill hole and BLOW!), and the insane number of times I’ve had to completely refill the coolant system on my Hemi’s (over a dozen by now), I’m gonna taste me some antifreeze for sure!

Speaking of antifreeze tastes, I’ll go on record as saying that G-05 HOAT you get at the local parts stores is the most foul tasting antifreeze of them all! And I’ll fight any man that says different!!
🤣🤣

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,639 Posts

A Guy

21 - 30 of 30 Posts