Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
fly cutting pistons for ptv Clearance and milling heads for 11.1 compression

Im looking to do heads and cam as well as supporting bolt ons on my rt very soon here. One thing Ive noticed was that no body on here talks about having to fly cut the pistons on the 5.7 for ptv. My question is can it be done to these motors to ensure plenty of ptv clearance or is it a no no on these cars? We used to do it on ls1's all the time but now that im a mopar man lol Im in new and uncharted territory. I'm also wondering if getting ported heads and milling them down to bump my compression to 11to1 is possible for even more power. Thanks for the help everyone. Im currently leaning towards the comp 274 due to its good gains and will be doing full exhaust and intake upgrades to support the cam. I also live fairly close to ost dyno so tuning shouldn't be an issue. Im still a little unsure that I wana pull the heads for ported ones just yet.

·
Premium Member
2,890 Posts
There is not enough meat on the pistons to fly cut top ring land is to close. As for the 274 even though it will fit in the 5.7 that is really not a great choice for that motor. I would go with the comp 270 or a custom grind. Give us a call is you have more question.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for the great info. That too bad about the pistons being too thin. As far as cams I see you guys offer the vvt 5.7na cam. I like the specs on that a lot. Any way to get this to a 112 lsa? I know In The article you said they've had tunning issues with lower lsa's but has this been worked out since this article has been written?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts