Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,989 Posts
What is the best fog lights for the challengers my 2019 needs them
Come on man, you gotta ask better questions if you hope to get useful answers.

What exactly are you wanting to do?

1) Did the car come with fog lights from the factory, but they are underperforming , and so you want a ‘better’ bulb to use in the fog light housings?

2) Or did the car not come from the factory with fog lights, so you are wanting to add a set to the car, and you want recommendations on what fog light kit to use?

If 1), replace whatever is in them now with the same kind that came in it stock. In other words, if it came with halogen bulbs, replace with halogen. If it came with LED, replace with LED.

I don’t know if LED fogs from the factory are even a thing, but my point is to use whatever bulb the housing was designed to use. ‘Upgrading’ bulb types but using the original housing is a good way to mess up forward illumination.

If 2), acquiring and installing the factory fog light kit is truly the only way to go. Aftermarket kits may work, but Mopar kits should always be used if acquisition is possible.

Also, after installing the factory kit, they will require a trip to the dealer (or possibly AlphaODB intervention) to have the car’s computer(s) updated to enable the fog light functionality. A compatible headlight switch will also need to be installed for this kit to seamlessly integrate.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wish I had fog lights, all I have is driving lights. Fog lights are amber or yellow to cut thru fog and are aimed straight, while driving lights are white or clear and are aimed down at the side of the road to see the edges at night or low light.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
1,977 Posts
When I first got my SXT it didnt have them I kept searching finally scored a OEM Kit on Ebay for 90.00 Switch and 2 Lights still new in box.
Swapped the Switch, installed the Oem Lights, then had to go to the Dealer and get them to flash the TIPM glad I got them. We get a lot of
fog during the fall.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
I need to get the OEM kit my car didn't have fog lights did it take them long to re flash the car
this must a base SXT with the blank caps where fog lights would have been?

if that's the case - yours doesn't have the wire harnesses or the headlight switch that would have the additional function for switching fog lights on / off

and the TIPM would have be the flashed to make all this work - adding the sales code for the fog lights

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the harness and the switch which is crazy but not the lights the front clip was changed

Deer damage I live in Pennsylvania lol

Sxt black top

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
25,586 Posts
Dodge refers to them as fog lights

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
25,586 Posts
They light it up great! ;) To me, they are driving lights

A Guy

Reactions: Ashoka

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T
96 Posts
I wish I had fog lights, all I have is driving lights. Fog lights are amber or yellow to cut thru fog and are aimed straight, while driving lights are white or clear and are aimed down at the side of the road to see the edges at night or low light.
I have switchback lights from Alla Lighting. When they come on they are white, turn them off and back on again they are amber. With the Challenger I really can't tell what mode they are in, unsure if it's 1) because the Challenger has HIDs, never had a car with HIDs before. 2) The aim of the headlights is too low. 3) the aim of the "fog lights" is to high. or 4) a combination or the previous.

Had the same lights in the Impala I traded for the Challenger and I have a set in the G8. Both worked as supposed to and were easy to tell which mode they were in.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
the fog light beam for the '15+ style fog lights is a very narrow (top to bottom), wide beam that's aimed low. It underlights the area below the main headlight beam.
-with the OEM fog light bulbs & HIDs its hard to see the fog lights' effect. I changed mine out to a bulb that was brighter, so I can actually see that they're on (I have HID headlights).

one way you can see this is just have parking lights on, and turn the fog lights on.

unlike the '14 and earlier style which used as reflector housing - those threw out a broader beam and its was easier to see it.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
1,977 Posts
The ones on my 2011 made a huge difference when I installed them but wondered how well the later 15's and up worked since they are so much smaller and different design.

I have the harness and the switch which is crazy but not the lights the front clip was changed

Deer damage I live in Pennsylvania lol

Sxt black top
You may only need the Factory Lights then since everything is in place and TIPM might already be flashed for it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well, I replaced the original bulbs with golden yellow LEDs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Come on man, you gotta ask better questions if you hope to get useful answers.

What exactly are you wanting to do?

1) Did the car come with fog lights from the factory, but they are underperforming , and so you want a ‘better’ bulb to use in the fog light housings?

2) Or did the car not come from the factory with fog lights, so you are wanting to add a set to the car, and you want recommendations on what fog light kit to use?

If 1), replace whatever is in them now with the same kind that came in it stock. In other words, if it came with halogen bulbs, replace with halogen. If it came with LED, replace with LED.

I don’t know if LED fogs from the factory are even a thing, but my point is to use whatever bulb the housing was designed to use. ‘Upgrading’ bulb types but using the original housing is a good way to mess up forward illumination.

If 2), acquiring and installing the factory fog light kit is truly the only way to go. Aftermarket kits may work, but Mopar kits should always be used if acquisition is possible.

Also, after installing the factory kit, they will require a trip to the dealer (or possibly AlphaODB intervention) to have the car’s computer(s) updated to enable the fog light functionality. A compatible headlight switch will also need to be installed for this kit to seamlessly integrate.
When adding Fog Lights to my 2016 SXT the dealer was less than helpful. I purchased the OEM lights and dash switch online, and then made an appointment at the local dealer. Once at the appointment the assigned tech said he could not do the installation and required TIPM flash as I didn’t have the required wiring harness. After agreeing with customer service that I would pay labor to check, tech reluctantly pulled it apart and found out that Challengers already have the fog light harness installed at the factory, it just isn’t being used. Don’t let them tell you otherwise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Some of the challengers in 2019 did not come with them. Or the wiring there of. I have a 19 scat pack widebody, and there were no provisions for that. Just my two cents

1 - 20 of 23 Posts