Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With what knowledge you might have about the new 6.4, between that and the 6.1 which is the better one to have for building up and going fast on a drag strip?

I've heard mention that the 6.4 will be a problem because it shares limitations with the 5.7 designs and that the 6.1 is the better choice.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
Tony who said that? I don't know if there is any proof of that yet. Once we get one on a dnyo and start tweaking it i'm sure we will lean more.
Theres no subtitution for cubic inches

·
Banned
4,131 Posts
I would stay away from the 6.4 for build purposes right now. What you were reading was probably on a stroked 6.1 to a 392. Tuning is unknown. With VVT the cam shafts are going to take some time to get going. Which will really effect power outputs. Bolt on Centri's and Turbos will be the quickest option. But built motors will have to wait until someone gets in one. Go with a built 6.1

·
Banned
675 Posts
how's the old saying go...

"There's no replacement for displacement"

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
The 392 and the 2011 Challenger will be the best motor and car combination in the history of the World. If anyone says any different I am putting you on my ignore list and crapping on your front door step. lol

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tony who said that? I don't know if there is any proof of that yet. Once we get one on a dnyo and start tweaking it i'm sure we will lean more.
Theres no subtitution for cubic inches
Dodgetony was the one of the opinion (I think from talking with some engine people himself) that the 6.1 is still the one to build.

I would stay away from the 6.4 for build purposes right now. What you were reading was probably on a stroked 6.1 to a 392. Tuning is unknown. With VVT the cam shafts are going to take some time to get going. Which will really effect power outputs. Bolt on Centri's and Turbos will be the quickest option. But built motors will have to wait until someone gets in one. Go with a built 6.1
Hey, listen I'm not any kind of experienced engine guy or anything close. So having said that, is it now my understanding please explain the differences between a built motor and a tuned motor? Does a built motor mean it has to remain N/A? And furthermore, are you saying in your opinion that a 6.4 "tuned" motor should best a 6.1 "built" motor?

I'm just trying to understand and get an education.

how's the old saying go...

"There's no replacement for displacement"
Is it? :scratchhead: I've heard this forever now but what if a motor has tuning issues and is a bigger size in cubic inches than a smaller one with less tuning issues? Hell if I know mauls! lol

I'm damn curious to see what people have to say on all this so please...

·
Banned
675 Posts
Is it? :scratchhead: I've heard this forever now but what if a motor has tuning issues and is a bigger size in cubic inches than a smaller one with less tuning issues? Hell if I know mauls! lol

I'm damn curious to see what people have to say on all this so please...
I've just heard (me being a youngin) that this is the motto that was often refereed to in the late 60's early 70's :pimp:

Bigger the better

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've just heard (me being a youngin) that this is the motto that was often refereed to in the late 60's early 70's :pimp:

Bigger the better

It's not the size of the ocean, it's the motion of the waves. LOL!

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Go with the 7.2 aluminum block! :) Gotta stay a step ahead of the Jones' ! Haha!

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
If I were buying today I'd get the 6.4L. It may take a year or so for it to start getting up to speed, but it will.

A tuned motor is simply "tuned". The PCM parameters are optimized for that specific car rather than the generic tune that comes from OEM.

A "built" motor has the internals replaced with forged parts, balanced, blue printed, hand assembled, etc. These are usually built for a specific purpose (big NA power or forced induction).

If you want to buy a car today and mod it tomorrow get a 6.1. If you can be patient get the 6.4.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Absolutly on the mark, the 6.1 has at least three good years of R&D and is showing well at the tracks, NA, SC or TT
Tout

·
Banned
804 Posts
6.4 will be the way to go. The CI potential on the 6.4 is much larger than that of the 6.1.....the cams are not really an issue right now. The tuning on the 2011 may or may not be.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Someone here or over on ChargerForums said that the stock 6.4 compression and lack of forged internals may take forced induction off the table so bolt ons may be limited.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Someone here or over on ChargerForums said that the stock 6.4 compression and lack of forged internals may take forced induction off the table so bolt ons may be limited.
Don't tell Goehner that! EEEK

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Don't tell Goehner that! EEEK
haha, not worried here, I chatted with someone this morning who will be doing the work, really only waiting on Diablo. Well, and a car......

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
What's the compression on this new motor? 10.5:1?

The new stang is 11:1 and they're supercharging it already. I thought the 11:1 compression would be a big deal but maybe not.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
If memory serves, I think 10.5.

·
Banned
4,131 Posts
haha, not worried here, I chatted with someone this morning who will be doing the work, really only waiting on Diablo. Well, and a car......
lol I know who it is!!

What's the compression on this new motor? 10.5:1?

The new stang is 11:1 and they're supercharging it already. I thought the 11:1 compression would be a big deal but maybe not.
6.1 is 10.3 so I wouldnt worry about the compression. They probably also said you shouldnt supercharge because you'll void your warranty!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts