Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen post from folks about their leather seats being cracked or discolored.
Thankfully, I don't have the problem but a friend of mine recently posted on Facebook about using a product on a leather sofa.
The leather had a lot of scratches from cat claws and the product she used made it look great.
I thought about how the product might work for leather seats so I'm posting it.
I have zero personal experience with this product and haven't bought it. Just passing the information along.

The attached pictures are what my friend posted.

https://www.amazon.com/Furniture-Clinic-Leather-Re-Coloring-Balm/dp/B00FOKONJ0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1527777699&sr=8-4&keywords=leather+recoloring+balm&dpID=41cg-znYhHL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,703 Posts
That is one angry cat! :)

A Guy

Reactions: MrMac

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,722 Posts
I've seen post from folks about their leather seats being cracked or discolored.
Thankfully, I don't have the problem but a friend of mine recently posted on Facebook about using a product on a leather sofa.
The leather had a lot of scratches from cat claws and the product she used made it look great.
I thought about how the product might work for leather seats so I'm posting it.
I have zero personal experience with this product and haven't bought it. Just passing the information along.

The attached pictures are what my friend posted.

https://www.amazon.com/Furniture-Cl...pID=41cg-znYhHL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
You could use that product on some neglected leather car seats, but it would not have as much of a rejuvenation effect on the automotive leather as it did on the leather sofa.

It’s not just that product, but pretty much any leather treatment you use on automotive leather is somewhat defeated before it can start by the coating all automotive leather receives at the factory nowadays. So any renew/refresh products for the leather car seats never actually makes it into the leather after application. It will get stopped instead by the coating on the leather from factory assembly (think of it like having a plastic wrap on it like ur grandparents ‘new’ couch that was purchased 2 yrs prior).

So unless the leather has been so mistreated that the factory-applied coating has deteriorated and is no longer protecting the leather material, those renew products for car leather are a waste of $$.

But if the coating is gone and the leather can be directly treated, it will be in such poor shape that no renew-type product will be able to bring it back from the brink of failure anyway, so it’s a lose-lose scenario to hope those products can ‘fix’ leather seats in poor condition.

The best approach with automotive leather is to keep it clean using a mild soapy water solution (Wool-Lite or similar product is good) and keep it out of direct sunlight as much as possible (UV-A/B is a killer).

If you absolutely must treat the leather in a car with something, a mild vinyl protectant like Meg’s Interior detailer or 303 Protectant is as good as you can do for leather protection. But only apply after cleaning the leather first, and don’t over-apply or you'll get sticky surfaces elsewhere inside the car from the excess product getting cooked off while sitting in sun or a hot garage.

Reactions: jakoye23
1 - 3 of 3 Posts